• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity from Judaism?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there something about finishing the job till death?
There's the given that the mashiach will live a long life, have children, be a king, gather Israel and die a normal death. This is what's presented in Tanakh. Anything else is a Christian interpolation intended to supplement the fact that Jesus didn't do what the mashiach is meant to.

PearlSeeker

There's the given that the mashiach will live a long life, have children, be a king, gather Israel and die a normal death. This is what's presented in Tanakh. Anything else is a Christian interpolation intended to supplement the fact that Jesus didn't do what the mashiach is meant to.
Always just one Messiah?

Segev Moran

1) I've heard of what is often called the "Judaeo-Christian tradition" but is there really such a thing?
For the Jewish POV , not really. There are some who call themselves messiah Jews who are Jews that adopted Jesus as a messiah. This is a very small group though.
If so, to what extent? I know Christians talk about this, but what about Jews? - basically, is the notion a Christian one, with nothing to do with Judaism?
In the Jewish POV the core idea of Jesus completely contradicts the entire idea of God, so the vast majority of Jews do not really accept Christianity per say. They do however accept it as an interpretation of Judaism.
The idea of God though, excluding the form of Jesus, is common to both religion (and Islam as well).
2) Did Christianity develop out of Judaism?
Its feels more of a "spinoff".
Although I am not as familiar with Christianity as I am with Judaism, It seems that the basis of Christianity derives from Jewish teachings (At least based on Jesus words).
3) Or is it a distinct pagan/gentile tradition with no links to Judaism?
It is partial pagan. The concept of the cross, humanoid god, bread/wine of Jesus, are considered somewhat Pegan (it has Pegan concepts but not a Pegan religion per say) in the Jewish belief.
4) Or is it somewhat developed out of Judaism and somewhat a pagan/gentile tradition?
I think this is what most Jews think.
Developed out of, might be not the way i would describe it, rather it used Jewish teachings as a basis for some ideas.
5) In the days before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire what was the relationship between the early Christians and the Jews like? I assume the Christians were trying to convert Jews?
No Idea :)
That is a question for historian I guess :)

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
As well no one would believe Jesus is Christ (Messiah) after he died if there wasn't resurrection. Paul: "if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:14)
I'm pointing out the obvious similarity in the inability the most devout of disciples to just let go of the notion that someone is the Messiah because they died, going so far as to believe that they will rise again. If in our modern world with its communications tech and emphasis on evidence can produce Chabadniks that think the Rebbe will rise again, then certainly back in the days when communication was by mouth and didn't have such a high emphasis on evidence it only makes sense that the same emotional forces would produce disciples that believed Jesus rose from the dead.

PearlSeeker

1) I've heard of what is often called the "Judaeo-Christian tradition" but is there really such a thing? If so, to what extent? I know Christians talk about this, but what about Jews? - basically, is the notion a Christian one, with nothing to do with Judaism?
This term usually means common values of modern democratic West, human rights... although any direct religious influence is questionable...

2) Did Christianity develop out of Judaism?

3) Or is it a distinct pagan/gentile tradition with no links to Judaism?

4) Or is it somewhat developed out of Judaism and somewhat a pagan/gentile tradition?
Christianity was originally a Jewish sect but later became distinct (with only loose connection to Judaism). As Christianity grew some pagan elements were incorporated and christianized (see inculturation).

5) In the days before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire what was the relationship between the early Christians and the Jews like? I assume the Christians were trying to convert Jews?
I don't know.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I meant testimony about risen Jesus of course.
How would he know what Jesus even looked like? Sounded like? How would he know anything at all about Jesus to be able to know it was him? And even if he did, he still never met Jesus. It makes his testimony near worthless.

pearl

Even if there were a resurrection, it still wouldn't make him the mashiach; being resurrected is not a requirement.

That's a point made by Rabbi Pinchas Lapied

Pinchas Lapide believes Jesus rose from the dead, but does not believe he is the Messiah. In his view, Jesus was a Galilean rabbi of extraordinary righteousness. The rabbis of Jerusalem and Judea, the “establishment” as it were, thought very little of this hick rabbi from the far-flung north who attracted large followings. They opposed him and conspired with the Romans to have him executed. The Romans were only too happy to do this, fearful that Jesus was a Messianic figure who could start a revolt.

God raised Jesus from the dead, not because Jesus was the Messiah, but out of mercy and in foresight. Seeing such a faithful follower killed unjustly, God raised him. God also had foresight of the effect that Jesus’ resurrection would have on Gentiles, drawing them to faith in one God and to read the Hebrew scriptures. But the disciples then misunderstood Jesus’ message and God’s purpose in raising him.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a point made by Rabbi Pinchas Lapied

Pinchas Lapide believes Jesus rose from the dead, but does not believe he is the Messiah. In his view, Jesus was a Galilean rabbi of extraordinary righteousness. The rabbis of Jerusalem and Judea, the “establishment” as it were, thought very little of this hick rabbi from the far-flung north who attracted large followings. They opposed him and conspired with the Romans to have him executed. The Romans were only too happy to do this, fearful that Jesus was a Messianic figure who could start a revolt.

God raised Jesus from the dead, not because Jesus was the Messiah, but out of mercy and in foresight. Seeing such a faithful follower killed unjustly, God raised him. God also had foresight of the effect that Jesus’ resurrection would have on Gentiles, drawing them to faith in one God and to read the Hebrew scriptures. But the disciples then misunderstood Jesus’ message and God’s purpose in raising him.
This guy isn't a Rabbi.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I honestly don't get the logic. Ever hear of the Ten Martyrs? They did deserve to die? Like, really? By the way, some of the martyrs were involved in converting Romans to Judaism.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
God raised Jesus from the dead, not because Jesus was the Messiah, but out of mercy and in foresight.
Apparently he raised all these guys too...

When Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he yielded up his spirit. At that moment the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split. The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. After Jesus’ resurrection, when they had come out of the tombs, they entered the holy city and appeared to many people.

We never hear much about this tho...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently he raised all these guys too...

When Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he yielded up his spirit. At that moment the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split. The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. After Jesus’ resurrection, when they had come out of the tombs, they entered the holy city and appeared to many people.

We never hear much about this tho...
Sure woulda been a useful superpower during the Revolt...