• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and Paganism

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I see. I mean old paganism.
In this case, I would say that a major point of distinction between Christianity (and most modern religions) and pre-Christian religions is the importance given to orthodoxy vs. orthopraxy.

In Christianity, having the correct belief is of tantamount importance, and this primacy of belief colors a lot of how people raised in Christian cultures approach religion. In pre-Christian societies, individual beliefs were of secondary importance compared to the importance of correct practice, observing traditions and rituals etc.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In my opinion,
finally, I think I found the only difference Christianity and Paganism have.

In my opinion, Christianity says ''God and creation are separate''.

And in my opinion, Paganism says ''God and creation are different''.

That's it.
This seems like an awfully monotheistic caricature of polytheistic religion.

stanberger

Monotheism/Christianity isn't in steep decline since the council of Nicea lmao.

This doesn't look like a "decline" to me.

View attachment 61373

"Approximately 2.38 billion people practice some form of Christianity globally. This means that about one-third of the world's total population is Christian."

Most Christian Countries 2022

"Countries with the highest total number of Christians:
United States
Brazil
Mexico
Nigeria
Philippines
Russia
Democratic Republic of Congo
Italy
Ethiopia
China "

Does that look like "steep decline"

Or severe overreaction? I'm going with the latter.
newsweek ' today 54 percent of Americans do not believe Jesus is god '

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my opinion,

That's it.
The pagans were polytheists. I don't think there's a reliable count of how many gods there are in Greco-Roman paganism, not least because they have hierarchies, with the Olympians at the top, various grades in the middle, and the godlings and goddesslings of the rivers and groves and trees and sacred places.

The Christians are polytheists as well ─ three, although the Trinity doctrine tries to explain that away.

Some say Satan makes four, and some that Mary makes five.

And there are more than 14,000 saints and saintesses in the Roman calendar, if I recall correctly, a number of whom are worshiped indistinguishably from worship of the central group, though the theologians raise technical objections.

firedragon

Veteran Member
In my opinion,

That's it.

Interesting. Could I ask you questions?

1. Where does Christianity say "God and creation are separate"? When you say Christianity what do you mean? Scripture or philosophy?
2. Where does Paganism say "God and creation are different"? Which God? All Gods or one single God?

Thank you very much.

Clara Tea

In my opinion,

That's it.

Top 10 Largest Religions in The World 2022, Oldest & Fastest Growing | Trendrr

According to the website, above, Christianity is the largest religion in the world. However, Christianity and Islam are spin-offs of the Jewish religion, so, essentially, the Jewish religion encompasses both of them and is, by far, the largest religion in the world.

Definition of PAGAN

According to Webster's dictionary, Pagan means:
"an unconverted member of a people or nation who does not practice Christianity, Judaism, or Islam especially : a follower of a polytheistic religion (as in ancient Rome)
2 : one who has little or no religion and who delights in sensual pleasures and material goods : an irreligious or hedonistic person
3 : neo-pagan witches, druids, goddess worshippers, and other pagans in America today— Alice Dowd"

Paganism - Wikipedia

According to the Wikipedia website, above, the name Pagan was "first used in the fourth century by early Christians for people in the Roman Empire who practiced polytheism[1] or ethnic religions other than Judaism. In the time of the Roman empire, individuals fell into the pagan class either because they were increasingly rural and provincial relative to the Christian population, or because they were not milites Christi (soldiers of Christ).[2][3] Alternative terms in Christian texts were hellene, gentile, and heathen.[1] Ritual sacrifice was an integral part of ancient Graeco-Roman religion[4] and was regarded as an indication of whether a person was pagan or Christian.[4] Paganism has broadly connoted the "religion of the peasantry"."

My opinion:

I think that the name "Pagan" is an insult. It demeans other religions and casts them as unimportant or wrong. If the religious can't get along with each other, what chance do others have?

Clara Tea

The pagans were polytheists. I don't think there's a reliable count of how many gods there are in Greco-Roman paganism, not least because they have hierarchies, with the Olympians at the top, various grades in the middle, and the godlings and goddesslings of the rivers and groves and trees and sacred places.

The Christians are polytheists as well ─ three, although the Trinity doctrine tries to explain that away.

Some say Satan makes four, and some that Mary makes five.

And there are more than 14,000 saints and saintesses in the Roman calendar, if I recall correctly, a number of whom are worshiped indistinguishably from worship of the central group, though the theologians raise technical objections.

Jews were originally polytheists. I think that Jews abandoned the lesser Gods with the assumption that the most powerful God could easily beat them, and the most powerful God is jealous. It begs the question if Christians believe that there are lesser Gods but just not worshipped?

Clara Tea

In this case, I would say that a major point of distinction between Christianity (and most modern religions) and pre-Christian religions is the importance given to orthodoxy vs. orthopraxy.

In Christianity, having the correct belief is of tantamount importance, and this primacy of belief colors a lot of how people raised in Christian cultures approach religion. In pre-Christian societies, individual beliefs were of secondary importance compared to the importance of correct practice, observing traditions and rituals etc.

Not to mention the local laws (tossing virgins in volcanoes as needed, etc). Maybe that was considered a tradition or ritual?

Clara Tea

1. Where does Christianity say "God and creation are separate"? When you say Christianity what do you mean? Scripture or philosophy?
2. Where does Paganism say "God and creation are different"? Which God? All Gods or one single God?

Thank you very much.

Could you ask me a question? (That was the question, and the answer is yes. Sadly, that was your last question and you will get no others).

Clara Tea

Not every denomination of Christianity believes Jesus is God.

Some believe he is the Son of God.

So, that stat really doesn't matter.

Edit: Americans' belief in God: Key findings

Jesus can't be a clone of Mary because Mary was female. Mary was Jewish. God was the God of the Jews, and before Jesus came along, he was considered by the Jews as the only God (once they abandoned all of the other lesser Gods). So, that God must have been Jewish. Therefore, Jesus must have had a Jewish mother and Jewish father (God).

After Jesus died, Christ rose from the grave. But, oddly, the newly risen Christ had blond hair and red eyes. Since he looked nothing like Jesus, that is proof that it was Christ who rose from the grave. It is a miracle that he looked nothing like himself.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
According to the website, above, Christianity is the largest religion in the world. However, Christianity and Islam are spin-offs of the Jewish religion, so, essentially, the Jewish religion encompasses both of them and is, by far, the largest religion in the world.
Interesting perspective.

It seems to me that Christianity is a religion that explicitly rejected Judaism, and Islam is a religion that explicitly rejected Christianity and Judaism.

syo

1. Where does Christianity say "God and creation are separate"?
It's what I understand from the Genesis.

When you say Christianity what do you mean? Scripture or philosophy?
Both.

All Gods. Gods are different than us, because they eat Ambrosia and Nectar. And their blood is ichor.

Thank you very much.
:)

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jews were originally polytheists. I think that Jews abandoned the lesser Gods with the assumption that the most powerful God could easily beat them, and the most powerful God is jealous. It begs the question if Christians believe that there are lesser Gods but just not worshipped?
Yes, the Torah is a record of henotheism, Yahweh as the pre-eminent god in the Canaanite pantheon. That's why it says in the Decalogue, "no other gods before me" instead of "ain't no other gods". There are many other examples, including the in the Psalms. Only after the Babylonian Captivity is [he] the only God.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
In my opinion,

And in my opinion, Paganism says ''God a, except nd creation are different''.

That's it.
So Pagans can quote the whole Nicene Creed honestly? Because I don't know how you came to that conclusion?