• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and its relation to Paganism

PurpleOtter

What do people here think of the evidence that has been uncovered regarding Christianity's relation to Paganism? Many scholars have noticed that the events and characters depicted in the Bible were taken from earlier Pagan traditions. I find this area of study fascinating, so I'd be interested if anyone else had good sources on this, I've found http://exposingchristianity.org/ to be a good source for this topic. Does anyone else have references they'd recommend for proving Biblical plagiarism?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
There is definitely a connection between Sumero-Babylonian mythology and the Old Testament... but exploring that connection does not undermine my spiritual-religious system, rather, it strengthens it, and builds onto it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raahim

مكتوب
Since I'm a newer member I'm not 100% sure, but I kinda have a feeling this topic has been posted before.
However, my personal belief (opinion) is that many Christian traditions and stories have been connected with paganism, starting from the core: human-god, demi-god, whatever you want to call it. :D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on what you mean.

The basis of first and second century Christianity I am actually tempted to say, no. I agree there are probably broad local Pagan influences, but the religion itself is unique in many of its more intricate theological concepts.

If, however, you mean once it reached Europe then yes, it most certainly infused with local Paganisms to a large degree.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well, it seems natural to me as the people that wrote the Bible were not dealing with or thinking from a blank-slate world.

The OT contains traces of adapted pagan myths, and later Christian theology contains aspects of Greek philosophy, especially neo-Platonism. As mentioned, some Christian traditions contain aspects of Paganism also.

When people try to make out that Christianity is basically purely copied from Egyptian/Mitraic/etc. mythology then this doesn't stand up to a great deal of scrutiny.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What do people here think of the evidence that has been uncovered regarding Christianity's relation to Paganism?

Sure, why wouldn't it be? Virtually every religion has been influenced by the cultures and religions surrounding it. Probably the only religion that doesn't have any outside influence is Hinduism, because it's so old and has been continually practiced. The bible's flood story is virtually identical to other flood stories of the region, from even as far as Greece.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
What do people here think of the evidence that has been uncovered regarding Christianity's relation to Paganism?

I think it is a crock. Paganism opposes Christianity and Christianity opposes Paganism. The only people who would believe paganism and Christianity are somehow inherently related otherwise are people wanting to take potshots at Christians. Fire away!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What's wrong with the source? :confused:
That it's from a neo-Nazi cult who believes that Jews are evil minions of an alien named "Jehova", that Satan is an Aryan alien living on another planet that communicates with his followers through telepathy and that Hitler and Himmler were elite Satanists trying to save the world? Are you asking what's wrong with that? o_O

Last edited:

Raahim

مكتوب
That it's from a neo-Nazi cult who believes that Jews are evil minions of an alien named "Jehova", that Satan is an Aryan alien living on another planet that communicates with his followers through telepathy and that Hitler and Himmler were elites Satanists trying to save the world? Are you asking what's wrong with that? o_O

Oh my, thanks for clearing that out for me. Talk about the ideas.

( @Rival this is what I meant by saying you should follow Jewish sources for Jewish stuff, you won't read about Jews from these guys or even Christianity, right? No need to reply since it will become off-topic)

Raahim

مكتوب
If the URL was "www.exposingislam.org" would you trust it as a reliable and objective source of academic scholarship?

Of course not, the same as I don't see this source reliable for this topic. I just wanted for @Saint Frankenstein to reply what's wrong with it so I can connect my statement with what I discussed in other thread with @Rival

Also, notice my other post on this topic
Oh my, thanks for clearing that out for me. Talk about the ideas.

( this is what I meant by saying you should follow Jewish sources for Jewish stuff, you won't read about Jews from these guys or even Christianity, right? No need to reply since it will become off-topic)

you should follow Jewish sources for Jewish stuff, you won't read about Jews from these guys or even Christianity, right?

I think you should read from a variety of perspectives on any subject. You should choose these perspectives based on intention and credibility though. You wouldn't want to base your understanding of Naziism purely on reading what Nazis have to say about it right?

I'll stop now to not go off topic :)

Raahim

مكتوب
I think you should read from a variety of perspectives on any subject. You should choose these perspectives based on intention and credibility though. You wouldn't want to base your understanding of Naziism purely on reading what Nazis have to say about it right?

I'll stop now to not go off topic :)

Actually I would, because that's their idea. But I agree completely new topic could be created on this, it's more complex.