• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity and Anthropomorphism

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Is Christianity exclusively anthropomorphic?

Would I still be considered an Orthodox (and I mean mainstream) Christian if I thought that God was symbol rather than a person?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Would I still be considered an Orthodox (and I mean mainstream) Christian if I thought that God was symbol rather than a person?
My first thought was to wonder why you feel the need to be considered "orthodox" in the first place. If God is a symbol, what do you believe He is a symbol of? And how does that change your relationship with Him?

David1967

Premium Member

Interesting question. My opinion, for what its worth. If you believe God is symbolic only it would definitely be outside the mainstream of orthodox Christianity. The closest comparison that I can come up with is there is a person on this forum who identifies as Hindu and atheist at the same time. Not sure if this is where you are coming from in your approach to Christianity or not. I would have to know more.

RedDragon94

My first thought was to wonder why you feel the need to be considered "orthodox" in the first place.
That's a good point. If I truly believe something I should be willing to suffer for it. Thank you.
If God is a symbol, what do you believe He is a symbol of?
I believe he's a symbol of all the Bible presents him to be, which is many things.
And how does that change your relationship with Him?
It makes me feel like I'm the one who is responsible for my life. My relationship with God becomes more tangible because I can now see that he has carried me this far through natural selection.

RedDragon94

Interesting question. My opinion, for what its worth. If you believe God is symbolic only it would definitely be outside the mainstream of orthodox Christianity. The closest comparison that I can come up with is there is a person on this forum who identifies as Hindu and atheist at the same time. Not sure if this is where you are coming from in your approach to Christianity or not. I would have to know more.
My basic belief in this concept is that all spirit beings are symbols. While God is the symbol of Love, Satan would be the inverse.

Thana

Lady

Would you still be considered Christian? Yes.
Would you still be considered Orthodox? Probably not. But then they're the ones who draw the line on that, so if you don't live up to their standards then you can't genuinely claim the label. But does it really matter? Do you need to be defined as orthodox?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That's a good point. If I truly believe something I should be willing to suffer for it. Thank you.

I believe he's a symbol of all the Bible presents him to be, which is many things.

It makes me feel like I'm the one who is responsible for my life. My relationship with God becomes more tangible because I can now see that he has carried me this far through natural selection.
It sounds like you've got it figured out. While I don't agree with you that God is a symbol and not a person, you're the one who has to find comfort and direction in your beliefs. Read my sig. That's how I deal with being a bit "unorthodox" myself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Questions. (Just to help out a bit).

When you see god as a symbol, does it mirror how you feel scripture defines him?

Do you feel scripture defines him as a symbol?

If so, I see nothing wrong with how you define god and your relationship with him (throuh scripture?). It isnt mainstream, "and" would it matter given it strengthens your relationahip with god?