• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity: A Summary

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You do not evidence your dismissals, just assert them.
Evidence as requested ─

That Christianity is thousands of things – >here<.

That God is a polytheist.
Exodus 15:11 Who is like thee, O Lord, among the gods?
Numbers 33:4 upon their gods also the Lord executed judgments.
Judges 11:23-24 So the Lord, the God of Israel, dispossessed the Amorites from before his people Israel; and are you to take possession of them? 24 Will you not possess what Chemosh your god gives you to possess? And all that the Lord our God has dispossessed before us, we will possess.
Psalms 82:1 God has taken his place in the divine council; / in the midst of the gods he holds judgment.
Psalms 86:8 There is none like thee among the gods, O Lord,
Psalms 95:3 For the Lord is a great god, / and a great King above all gods.
Psalms 135:5 For I know that the Lord is great; / and that our Lord is above all gods.​

That God can’t find Adam and Eve in the Garden
Gen 3:9 But the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, "Where are you?"​

That God doesn’t know the number of righteous in Sodom
Gen 18:26 And the LORD said, "If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake.​

Invasive war, massacre (some examples)
Joshua 10:28 And Joshua took Makke'dah on that day, and smote it and its king with the edge of the sword; he utterly destroyed every person in it, he left none remaining; and he did to the king of Makke'dah as he had done to the king of Jericho...
30 and the LORD gave it also and its king into the hand of Israel; and he smote it with the edge of the sword, and every person in it; he left none remaining in it; and he did to its king as he had done to the king of Jericho.​

Mass rape
Numbers 31:9 And the people of Israel took captive the women of Mid’ian and their little ones; and they took as booty all their cattle, their flocks, and all their goods. ... 14 And Moses was angry with the officers of the army ... 15 Moses said to them, “ ... 17 Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. 18 But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.​

Human sacrifice
Carried out: Judges 11, 2 Samuel 21, Mark, Matthew, Luke, John
Seriously attempted: Genesis 22:9+, Jonah 1:7-15​

Slavery, status of women, religious intolerance : passim.

God’s omnipotence and omniscience necessarily make freewill impossible by making it impossible for anyone or anything to deviate even by the width of an electron from what God foresaw and intended before [he] made the universe.

As I said, God is specifically male in the Tanakh, the NT, the Trinity Doctrine, the Creed and more.

That Man was created without knowledge of good and evil:
Genesis 2, eg verse 16​
That Man was created mortal:
Genesis 3:22-23.​

The early part of the Tanakh is a best ambiguous about the soul:
Job 14:10 But man dies, and is laid low; man breathes his last, and where is he? 11 As waters fail from a lake, and a river wastes away and dries up,12 so man lies down and rises not again; till the heavens are no more he will not awake, or be roused out of his sleep.

Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no help. 4 When his breath departs he returns to his earth; on that very day his plans perish.

Ecclesiastes 9:4 But he who is joined with all the living has hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion. 5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward; but the memory of them is lost.​

The Christian version of the soul draws heavily on Greek tradition.
As you know, Judea was part of the territories conquered by Alexander the Great 332 BCE and had been exposed to Greek language and thought since then. See for example the ‘>Myth of Er<

I’ve already given you the link to biblical cosmology, but here it is again.

There is no Fall in the Garden Story – >here<

That Jesus repeatedly denied being God
Mark 12: 29 ... 32
Matthew 20:23, 24:36
Luke 18:19
John 1:18, 5:19, John 5:30, John 6:38, John 8:42, John 10:29, John 14:1, John 14:10, John 14:28, John 16:23, John 17:3, John 20:17​

Hope that helps.

usfan

The dispute over the deity of Christ is perhaps the oldest heresy out there. It was the specific target of many of the early church fathers, apologists, and creeds. I have quoted the Nicene Creed, some of irenaeus' works in 'Against Heresies', and others.

It has NEVER been an accepted 'variable' within Christian orthodoxy. It is a departure from the True Faith, and all the evidence from 2000 years of history confirms that view. Only a deceiver, or a deluded fool with an agenda of deception and revisionism would attempt to promote this HERESY as Christian orthodoxy. It is clearly spelled out in the biblical manuscripts, the early teachings of apologists, and just about every creed or statement of faith that has been made in orthodox Christian circles. Christ's deity is the crux of Christianity. It is The Central Point.. of orthodox Christian beliefs.

There is an ongoing, unrelenting problem of deception, false teaching, and lies, that have been a CONSTANT in the history of Christianity. That problem was a continuous warning in the early manuscripts, and from all teachers of sound doctrine since the time of Christ.

2Tim4:3For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

1Tim4:1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.

Col2:2 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments...

8See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

9For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority

usfan

Evidence as requested
No, that is revisionist interpretation, bias, and misquoting. Some shotgun cut and paste from anti-christian web sites does not 'evidence!' make.

You understand neither the scriptures, nor the power of God..
/shakes head/

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Christianity: A Summary

Paul's Christianity presents Pagan-Christ, it is not related to the teachings of Jesus.

Regards

leov

True, but Jesus also didn’t burn down entire cities and slay all of the men, women and children living there.

The God of the OT was a wrathful god with the blood of thousands to his name. The God of the NT was a god of peace and love.
It is style of OT, if people did wrong God did not like that wrong and the wrong was destroyed as example for the FUTURE readers. It was necessary for bicameral consciousness to accept, they were not capable to understand spiritual True God but only soul God-demiurge who spoke in their language. Events were written but did not happened - it is Gnostic type school behind OT instructing lower consciousness.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, you can view the early church history and apologetics through an anti-christian bias.
Quashing dissent is anti-christian. Love is the christian way. Notice this practice of quashing dissent and decreeing has resulted in thousands of divisions of the church or don't. That is your choice if you don't want to admit it, but don't try to tell me that I have the anti christian bias. Its this strong arming nonsense which has no belief in God behind it, a pretended godliness.

But the history and orthodoxy of Christianity has been preserved through MILLENNIA of lies, heresies, and distortions. You can follow the lineage of Truth and orthodoxy, or believe a prejudicial, revisionist theory.
The Orthodox and the RC you both disagree with and do not trust. On the one hand you tout Iranaeus, but your doctrines only became possible through the freedom of choice which Iranaeus would never have approved of. Freedom you call anti christian, but human order you call the continuation of christianity. Your Jesus is one who teaches a basic set of doctrines about heaven and hell and leaves nothing for individual interpretation about that. Where is the Jesus who refuses to teach his disciples everything? Where is he? He is nowhere to be found in your linneages and chains of discipleship, because he is quashed by letters, by creeds and probably by comforting words. Gone are his extremes, his demands, his loathing of money and power and lineages and human orders.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
The OP is rather a Fundamentalist Calvinist summary of Christianity. But it is not a summary of Christianity because if it were it would contain a summary of the sum total of all Christian viewpoints or all Christianities including those which the OP disagrees with like the Christianities of the Mormons of the JWs or the Roman Catholics or of the various Liberal Christianities. But it doesn't and that is why it fails as a summary. It is a prejudicial, bigoted and myopic opinion as to what Christianity is.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
It is style of OT, if people did wrong God did not like that wrong and the wrong was destroyed as example for the FUTURE readers. It was necessary for bicameral consciousness to accept, they were not capable to understand spiritual True God but only soul God-demiurge who spoke in their language. Events were written but did not happened - it is Gnostic type school behind OT instructing lower consciousness.
Hence why many people, including myself, think the difference between the OT and NT is like night and day.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
NT is the whole new consciousness.
QED. Agreed.

It doesn’t mean that God changed, but that man’s perception of God changed. The OT is a more enlightened viewpoint. Of course, those who believe the Bible is the straight word of God won’t like the idea that the Bible is man’s view of God, not God’s word.

leov

QED. Agreed.

It doesn’t mean that God changed, but that man’s perception of God changed. The OT is a more enlightened viewpoint. Of course, those who believe the Bible is the straight word of God won’t like the idea that the Bible is man’s view of God, not God’s word.
I thing that demiurge is in a way emanation OT of the True God to specifically deal with soul types of consciousness, i.e. reflection of how that consciousness sees True God. OT covers a wide range of spiritual conditions.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well, you cannot possibly know that. He is the master deceiver, remember? And we can expect he knows everything about God, hell
God created all, some people claim... logical conclusion "God created also the devil"
So who is the "Master Deceiver?" ....

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I hope all faiths, especially Christianity and Islam, will die a death one day and be no more.
It'll inevitably go the route of the pantheon of ancient gods in mythology. I think there will always be a few adherents scattered about here and there.

One thing for certain is Christianity is clearly well past its zenith now, and will decline into mediocrity as it was once before at the birth of its inception in the old Middle East prior to its popularization by Constantine , who clearly did an incredible job propping up the religion for it to last as long as it did.

QuestioningMind

I have been a student of Christian history and the Bible for over 45 years. My goal here is to offer a simple summary and historical consensus of the Christian faith. I will try to avoid denominational issues or cultural influences, and concentrate on the central elements of historical, biblical Christianity. Many of the terms will be of classical usage, and might carry ambiguity for some. I will try to clarify if there is confusion.

Christianity has been the caretaker of a worldview, concerning the nature of God, man, and the universe.
God
God is infinite, eternal, omnipotent, and omnipresent. He created all things with a word. He is everywhere, and has no constraints of time and space. He is perfect, without flaw, gender, or limitations common to the creation.

Man
Man was created as a perfect being, and enjoyed open communion with God. God created man in His image, and shares traits with the creature. Man was created as an eternal soul, that transcends his material being.

The Universe
The universe was created in purity and perfection, and will be restored to that state when the fallen era ends. The order and majesty of God is reflected in the material universe.

The Fall
Evil and discord entered the universe when an angelic being rebelled against God, and corrupted the perfection of God's creation. Death and suffering became part of the experience of all living creatures. Man joined in that rebellion, where lies, murder, and human corruption ran rampant. Both the material and spiritual realms are in discord, in this cosmos of rebellion and enmity toward God.

Redemption
God made provision for the rebellion of man. Even though man's sins and corruption were contrary to the standard and nature of God, He provided a Way of escape from the coming reckoning. He became a man, Himself, and took the penalty for all of man's sins, if they will receive it. God appeared in the person of Jesus, and revealed the nature of God. He outlined the process of redemption, for those who would accept it. It is a spiritual transaction that has been likened to rebirth, or going from darkness to light. It is a quickening of the soul, where the lost human is awakened to the perception of spiritual reality. It usually involves acknowledging God and the atonement of Jesus, repentance for past wrongs, and the reception of God's Spirit into the redeemed soul. It is a very personal transaction, and transforms the life of the recipient.

Citizenship
The redeemed souls are now God's people. They have been likened to the children of God, His beloved bride, and a home for His dwelling. They are no longer of this fallen world, even though they still live in it. Their primary loyalties are to God and His government, not to any earthly institution of man.

Deception
This world is under the influence of a great deceiver. His goal is to kill and destroy, and to bring confusion to man so he cannot understand the redemption process, and be reconciled to God.

Restoration
The evils, suffering, and deceptions of this world are temporary, and will end when Jesus returns to make all things right. The universe will change, and God's kingdom and rule will be absolute and complete. Sin, death, and evil will no longer define the cosmos, but a restoration will take place, and make all things new.

My goal here is to present a concise summary of the basic, historical Christian faith. I feel that footnotes and proof texts would detract from this goal, but i would be happy to elaborate on any point. My perspective here is one of a 20th century American, but i have tried to avoid temporal or regional biases in this summary. This is, however, my perspective of the basic consensus of Christian belief and teaching, over the last 2000 years.

There are many more nuances and expanded points of science, empiricism, miracles, eternity, destiny, and origins that can be examined in greater detail, if there is interest. But i hope this provides a basic framework for better understanding of the Christian faith.

I don't think there are too many folks who don't have a grasp of what the basic beliefs of Christians are. What I question is why they accept them as true.

leov

I don't think there are too many folks who don't have a grasp of what the basic beliefs of Christians are. What I question is why they accept them as true.
One is a psychic view that God - demiurge - sacrifices His Son to forgive our sins , a pneumatic view is True God sent his Son to open human eyes , lift veil on Christ within every human being.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Nicene Creed:
(We believe, we dont believe we are agnostic) in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

Is a singular view argued in three ways and is irrelevant.

You succeeded in making no sense at all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ad hom deflection. If you want to refute any points made, or show how they have no historical basis, go for it! But sniping at me, personally, is a tactic for impotent debaters.. :shrug:
No, not at all. Once again you demonstrate that you do not understand what an ad hom is nor what a deflection is. Are you merely repeating claims used against you? That is what appears to be the case when you keep repeating such basic errors. Where is the ad hom? Please be specific. How was it an ad hom? Once again, you should not use terms that you do not understand.