• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity A Mystery?

Seconde

Hi All,

I have been speaking to a lot of Christians lately, mainly about Jesus, the Trinity, the nature of God, etc. We get to a point in the discussion where the response to me is: 'it's a mystery' or 'you are the work of the devil'. Can a belief based on such uncertainty be the Truth?? All opinions welcome.

2nde

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Seconde said:
Hi All,

I have been speaking to a lot of Christians lately, mainly about Jesus, the Trinity, the nature of God, etc. We get to a point in the discussion where the response to me is: 'it's a mystery' or 'you are the work of the devil'. Can a belief based on such uncertainty be the Truth?? All opinions welcome.

2nde
Hi, Seconde! And welcome! Well, you'll never hear either of those statements from me, and I'm a Christian.

I don't accept the doctrine of the Trinity and I don't believe that God ever intended to be thought of as a mystery. Of course, being "God," He has attributes, knowledge and power that we as human beings can't fully comprehend. If we could, we'd be "God," too. But I think that, like Jesus Christ, the Father is, to a great extent, very "knowable." And I think He definitely wants us to know Him. What truly loving father would not want his children to know him? To me, the best fathers in the world are the ones who make every effort to let their children get to know them, and I think our Father in Heaven is no exception.

As to you being the work of the devil -- that is absolute nonsense. I believe that no matter who you are, you are a son or daughter of God. I believe that He created you in His image and that He knows you by name. You are a unique and valued person in His sight and He loves you more than you can even begin to realize.

Kathryn

Ziroc

Hi Katzpur,

I was just wondering, since you are a different Christian from most of Christians, how do you see Jesus and the Father relate to each other?

As for Seconde, Hello,

In my opinion, we cannot depend on uncertainty for a truth. That's why God gives us the ability to think with our mind so that we can find the truth. I started a thread just similar to yours some days ago:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13998

blueman

God's Warrior
I don't view Christianity as uncertainity. You have a relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ when you accept His incarnation, cruxifiction and resurrection some 2000 years ago, acknowledge that you are a sinner and ask Christ to come into your heart to dwell and reign in your life. The grace that God extended upon us (Ephesians 2:8,9) also requires a measure of faith although you do not see a physical evidence of this proof to visualize. There are many things that God allows us to comprehend when you have a real and personal relationship with Him through His Son. God loves you and does seek a relationship with all men. Regarding the Trinity, I do believe in the three components of the Spiritual Person that is God Almighty (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), although I do not fully comprehend or can imagine all of the glorious wonders that apply to the Almighty God. I do believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are co-equal, co-existent and co-eternal. Read John 1:1-3 and John 14:26. All I can do as a Chrisitan is to institute the measure of faith God requires of all that are saved and sealed through Jesus Christ and there may be some things that we will not know about God until we enter the gates of heaven and you know what, I am fine with that because I put my trust in Him and not man.

How do you develop and mature a real and personal relationship with God? God will reveal His will through the Holy Spirit in His Word, through prayer, the body of Christ and in our life circumstances. The onus is upon us as Christians to follow the plan that God has laid out to accomplish His purpose. Trust me, God can accomplish His purpose when He wants, how He wants and wherever He wants, with or without our participation. But the sole fact that He loves you so much, that He desires to involve you in a God-like mission, should resonate through your mind, body and soul with everlasting joy! Once you develop a real and personal relationship with God, your life will change dramatically and you will truly develop the peace of mind that surpasses all understanding.:jiggy:

All religions are going to have uncertainty. As for me, i like the morals taught in Christianity, but i dont believe you're going to hell if you don't believe exactly as they do. I think everyone needs to find the beliefs that fit them. And once you find them go with them.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
iaminterface said:
but i dont believe you're going to hell if you don't believe exactly as they do.
That is a common misconception. One cannot treat people as disposable adjuncts to the nation or other institution.

(Mark 16:16 NIV) Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

When Mark spoke of being condemned, he did not mean "of going to Hell".
IMO he meant "experiencing Hell", not as a place after death, but as an experience
during life itself.

What is Hell? It is the total separation from God. Not when you die, but when you live.

Linus

Seconde said:
Hi All,

2nde
I'd like to know what exactly these mysteries are. I realize that there are some aspects of Christianity that we know little or nothing about, but to call someone the work of the devil...wow. Not a very Christ-like attitude there.