• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christianity: a focus on salvation?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If I were to make the following gross generalization …

A significant difference between Judaism and Christianity is that the former focuses on social contract while the latter focuses on personal salvation.

… would I be seriously mischaracterizing Christianity?

I'm not going to comment on Christian theology, as many people here will be far more qualified to do so.

Looking at Christian history though, there has been an enormous focus on personal salvation. (some of) The Crusades and the European millenarian movements, particularly the post reformation varieties, stand out as the most obvious examples.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
There is some truth to what you are saying because it is the restoration of man to the time of Adam before he sinned. The reason it is accentuated is because it is the beginning of transforming life to the purpose of God.

However, as James said, faith without works is dead and this salvation must be translated into a social effort. (Doesn't always happen, unfortunately). Today there is much more emphasis on the work of love towards those in need.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
I might quibble with "personal" salvation just slightly, in the sense that I think the overwhelming emphasis on the individual at the expense of the collective is somewhat a product of modernity.

N.T. Wright makes a pretty good argument in his Paul and the Faithfulness of God that for Paul justification (referring to the protestant idea of justification by faith) was primarily about figuring out how to define the "people of God" if, following Jesus, it was not just a question of ethnic identification with Israel and the parts of the covenant, like circumcision, which were symbolic of that identity. He proposes an individual criteria but his focus was on the unity of the group and on explicating how it was a continuation of the previous narrative of Israel.

Other than that though, I think the distinction between social contract and salvation is pretty reasonable.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

A significant difference between Judaism and Christianity is that the former focuses on social contract while the latter focuses on personal salvation.

No you wouldn't. Also I don't think that historical Christianity should be considered, whatever ancient Christians believed. The exceptions today are those liberal Christians and those non-fundamentalists who have diverged from the belief in original sin.

Kolibri

The focus of the Bible is the sanctification of Jehovah's name and the vindication of his sovereignty. Salvation of individuals is of a secondary, albeit important, concern.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

In comparison to Judaism? Sure, we focus on salvation more. Judaism (correct me if I'm wrong) can be summed up in this one verse:
Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God?

Judaism is all about acting righteously and following the covenant made between Israel and God, and there is less emphasis placed on a reward in the afterlife. Christianity is about loving God and loving others, and is ultimately about existing together in communion. Of course, this ties into salvation, because what is Heaven but living for eternity in loving communion with God?

I think the difference in our religions comes from where we place our most pivotal moments--for Jews (I believe) it's the establishment of the Covenant on Sinai. This naturally places more emphasis on living out the Law and being a man who honors a code and a way of life. For Christians, it's the death and particularly the Resurrection of Jesus--this gives us hope for our own resurrection and eternity, hence more emphasis gets placed on salvation as a reward for our deeds.

No you wouldn't. Also I don't think that historical Christianity should be considered, whatever ancient Christians believed. The exceptions today are those liberal Christians and those non-fundamentalists who have diverged from the belief in original sin.
And the 250 million Orthodox who never believed in Augustine's idea of original sin to begin with.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Ultimately, our created end is to enjoy the direct presence of God in Heaven. This life is the determination of our eternal disposition either towards or away from God.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
For Christians, it's the death and particularly the Resurrection of Jesus--this gives us hope for our own resurrection and eternity, hence more emphasis gets placed on salvation as a reward for our deeds.
You had a good post. On this point, if I am not mistaken, the Pope and the Lutherans came together and established that salvation was by faith and not by works. Works are a result of salvation and the reward for our works will be given in heaven and is separate from salvation.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member

Simply put, no, you would not be mischaracterizing the general view of Christianity by saying its main focus is for personal salvation.

Christ is considered the final blood sacrifice for sin and depending on the branch of Christianity, salvation is either a process or instantaneous. Some believe that salvation is irrevocable as well.

From my perspective as a former career Christian, there was nothing more important than personal salvation. It was the integral starting point as a follower of Christ.

1 John 1:7-9 (NIV)
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is a more fundamental difference between Jewish religious practice and that of Christians than a question of salvation.

What stands out to me about the Jewish faith is the extent and depth of the positive and negative aspects of the Mitzvot.
It is as if religious practice controls every aspect of personal life in great detail, will little personal choice.

On the other hand the christian equivalent is contained within the ten Commandments plus either the two, or seven, sacraments depending on ones denomination.
A majority of Christian social ethics are based on the teachings of Jesus which were never enumerated and given the status of laws, but are essentially guides that with the help of the Holy Spirit help us lead godly lives.

Salvation as such does not have a universal understanding amongst Christians, and from day one the distinction between faith and works has created untolled divisions between believers.

It is true that Christians have a very selfish understanding of forgiveness of sin and salvation however they define it.

It seems to many Christians that the Jewish religion gives them far wider scope for action, provided it is done with in the "rules" and for God.
They see God as having given them licence as a people, through their covenant.

atpollard

You would not (imho) be mischaracterizing Christianity.

I might wonder if you were selling Judaism short?
When G-d walked with Adam ... it seemed very personal.
When G-d called Abraham into covenant ... it seemed very personal.
When Jacob wrestled with the L-rd ... it seemed very personal.
When G-d spoke with Moses ... it seemed very personal.
The Psalms of David ... seem very personal.
The Messianic promises ... seem very personal.

I think that G-d feels very strongly about his chosen people, and delights in more than obedience to a social contract.
I suspect that G-d is looking forward to the day when he can sit in that empty chair at the Passover table and break bread with his people ... all of his people.
YMMV

Nooj

none

i would qualify that by saying that personal salvation is the farthest thing from individual salvation. person does not mean individual. 'person' is by definition a social concept. characterising humanness as personhood acknowledges our intrinsic and irreducible essence as social beings.

furthermore, personal salvation refers to the person of jesus christ, and in him we other persons have our salvation. that is what it means to say that christianity preaches universal salvation through personal salvation. all humans are saved qua humans because christ has assumed our humanness, as the church fathers never cease to tell us. and just as the trinity is a communion or a society of persons, that is what we are as humans, a social being.

some of that triune love between the three persons of the trinity spill over to us as grace, sustaining our existence and being. so our personhood is a reflection of the personhood of god, and any salvation of our persons owes itself to the salvificatory love of the triune god.

christianity is indeed utterly focused on personal salvation, but that's because the person at the centre of our story is jesus christ. if judaism differs from christianity in this respect, it is because jesus christ is not the centre of the jewish story and so his person is not important to judaism.

Last edited:

atpollard

i would qualify that by saying that personal salvation is the farthest thing from individual salvation. person does not mean individual. 'person' is by definition a social concept. characterising humanness as personhood acknowledges our intrinsic and irreducible essence as social beings.

furthermore, personal salvation refers to the person of jesus christ, and in him we other persons have our salvation. that is what it means to say that christianity preaches universal salvation through personal salvation. all humans are saved qua humans because christ has assumed our humanness, as the church fathers never cease to tell us. and just as the trinity is a communion or a society of persons, that is what we are as humans, a social being.

some of that triune love between the three persons of the trinity spill over to us as grace, sustaining our existence and being. so our personhood is a reflection of the personhood of god, and any salvation of our persons owes itself to the salvificatory love of the triune god.

christianity is indeed utterly focused on personal salvation, but that's because the person at the centre of our story is jesus christ. if judaism differs from christianity in this respect, it is because jesus christ is not the centre of the jewish story and so his person is not important to judaism.
If I am following you correctly, most people who call themselves Christian would probably disagree with the concept of 'universal salvation' ... few would claim that EVERYONE is saved and going to heaven.
Through Jesus, everyone has access to forgiveness, but confession and repentance are generally viewed as the personal cost of obtaining that forgiveness.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
If I am following you correctly, most people who call themselves Christian would probably disagree with the concept of 'universal salvation' ... few would claim that EVERYONE is saved and going to heaven.
Through Jesus, everyone has access to forgiveness, but confession and repentance are generally viewed as the personal cost of obtaining that forgiveness.

First one must consider what salvation might be. And how it might be obtained.
it is generally understood that salvation can not be earned but comes through the grace of God.

Salvation is a process.

Most will believe that sin is only forgiven following repentance, confession is not part of the equation but might help one understand what to repent.

When does This take place? Certainly not when we are alive.
Salvation is not a thing, nor is it a promise. Nor can it be earned. What ever we believe it to be, it can only be expressed in the presence and fullness of God.
Nor is Salvation a continuation of this life on earth or a second physical life on a new earth.
It can only lead to a spiritual existance.
From my understanding Salvation is our souls return to God, with our sins and egos cleansed.
This cleansing and return is inevitable.

What happens next?

There seems to be three alternatives, Firstly we might remain one with God.
Secondly God might have further plans or tasks for us. Or Thirdly our very cleansing might have reduced our souls to nothing.

I believe in neither heaven nor Hell as places. Nor do I believe in a physical resurrection.

The process of Salvation happens to every one Christian or not, good or bad. In that regard it is universal.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
On the question of our souls. (Spirits).
Our souls come from and remain of God.
Our souls are incorruptible.
Through out our lives we establish, form and mature what becomes our personalities.
It is our ego that is responsible for what we chose to do, and for everything we may become.
It is our ego's that carry our desires, feelings and determins our actions. It is our ego's that exercise our free will.

Our Spirits remain our connection with God, it is through our spirits that the Holy spirit guides comforts and strengthens us. Our Spirits remain pure whatever the state of our ego.

Our egos do not survive our death, though in God, we are aware of everything.

Popcorn

What is it?

I'm not sure what is the focus of Christianity, or what is the concentrated effort of all Christians, but you're not making any serious mischaracterization by drawing attention to the fact that personal salvation is a big part of it, probably the most significant aspect. The original purpose seems to have been lost to the ages, or at least set to simmer on the back burner, so to speak. Don't get me wrong, Catholicism is a beautiful ideal, especially when Catholics are often so passionate about the miracles of the Saints, but Christianity began with an affinity for Jerusalem and the Temple at the center, that is, in opposition to Rome. It's a question of which tribe are you in the community of the Israelites, is that a kingdom on earth or a kingdom in heaven, understanding that sin is transgression of the Law and to be cleansed of all sin is to gain favor with God. Of course, opening that up to everyone in the world, gathering as many followers among the Gentiles as possible, next thing you know the Law is thrown out as the so-called 'replacement theology' moves the center from Jerusalem to Rome.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

No, not necessarily. This depends on the Xian. The Xianity that I know of, uses both concepts.