• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian?

Aasimar

Atheist
Alright, another broad question, I just want to put this out there to see the varying responses. Open to everyone, theistic or not, whatever. In your own words:

Define "Christian"

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Alright, another broad question, I just want to put this out there to see the varying responses. Open to everyone, theistic or not, whatever. In your own words:

Define "Christian"
Someone who follows what they believe to be the teachings of Christ?

Aasimar

Atheist
I'll respond to my own question.

I define Christian as someone who believes Jesus Christ was the son of God and the Messiah.

blackout

Violet.
Someone who follows what they believe to be the teachings of Christ?

*BUZZ*

I'm sorry but that would be the wrong answer!
Christians must follow the "Jesus" package
put forth by the mainstream churches
of their choice.

No "correct" church doctrine=
no christianity.

I absolutely ADORE the teachings and stories of Y'shua,
and I SEE AND UNDERSTAND them for myself...
yet no one in their RIGHT MIND would call me a christian.

(and I would cringe at the thought!)

I also think there is alot of TOTAL BS in the Bible.
Y'shua never said we should learn our faith from a book though.
It's the churches who do that.

So no,
someone who follows what THEY think are the teachings of Christ...
would not be the right answer.;)

blackout

Violet.
I'll respond to my own question.

I define Christian as someone who believes Jesus Christ was the son of God and the Messiah.

I think that would be a pretty good general answer,
but still that could be even understood in ways
that no mainstream church/christian would accept.

Do MS christians consider gnostics to be christians?
I don't think so... right?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
*BUZZ*

I'm sorry but that would be the wrong answer!
Christians must follow the "Jesus" package
put forth by the mainstream churches
of their choice.

No "correct" church doctrine=
no christianity.

So no,
someone who follows what THEY think are the teachings of Christ...
would not be the right answer.;)

I disagree. You are being too narrow. The Anglican church for example includes liberal Christianity which -"broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an individualistic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity is not a belief structure, and as such is not subject to any Church Dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church Dogma"- Wiki

blackout

Violet.
I disagree. The Anglican church for example includes liberal Christianity which -"broadly speaking, is a method of biblical hermeneutics, an individualistic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. Liberal Christianity is not a belief structure, and as such is not subject to any Church Dogma or creedal statements. Unlike conservative Christianity, it has no unified set of propositional beliefs. The word liberal in liberal Christianity denotes a characteristic willingness to interpret scripture without any preconceived notion of inerrancy of scripture or the correctness of Church Dogma"- Wiki

I was only teasing about the "wrong answer" thing BTW.
Just wanted to be a game show host for a minute.;)

If a viewpoint is not mainstream enough does it count?
Surely less mainstream views , and personal interpretations of Y'shua,
will get you black eyes in most any christian forum. no?

I don't know?
you can buzz me now
if you still think I'm wrong.:)

I only know what I have seen and encountered.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
If a viewpoint is not mainstream enough does it count?
Surely less mainstream views , and personal interpretations of Y'shua,
will get you black eyes in most any christian forum. no?

I don't know?
you can buzz me now
if you still think I'm wrong.:)

I only know what I have seen and encountered.
I still think you are wrong because I see liberal Christianity as allowing for exactly this i.e. personal interpretations.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
A follower of Christ.

A born-again believer may not be a Christian, but a Christian must be a born-again believer.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A Christian is someone who believes in Jesus and follows His commands. Anything else is just dogma.

Aasimar

Atheist
I think your definition might be too narrow, does it not exclude for example Unitarians?

I'm honestly not that familiar with Unitarians, but I define Christians in the manner I stated, so if they don't think that Jesus is the Son of God and Messiah, then I probably would not consider them to be Christians.

I think that would be a pretty good general answer,
but still that could be even understood in ways
that no mainstream church/christian would accept.

Do MS christians consider gnostics to be christians?
I don't think so... right?

I don't think MS Christians consider gnostics to be Christians, but then many main streamers don't consider LDS members to be Christians either. I suppose it's easier to consider them as such when you don't consider the word to have any merit in and of itself.

Luke_17:2

Fundamental Bible-thumper
I still think you are wrong because I see liberal Christianity as allowing for exactly this i.e. personal interpretations.

Most Protestants believe that the individual can interpret the Bible/Scriptures anyway they want -and after they interpret they decide which church to join.

That's how I became a Baptist. Not because everyone told me to, but because I believed the Bible was best represented in the Baptist Church.

The allowance of persoanl interpretation is not exclusive to Liberal Christianity.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Someone who believes in Jesus as God, the Savior, places their trust for salvation in Him, and believes in His resurrection

Aasimar

Atheist
Someone who believes in Jesus as God, the Savior, places their trust for salvation in Him, and believes in His resurrection

I find that interesting, just the resurrection? None of the other miracles are required, just that one? I know that sounds chiding but it's not meant to be, seriously just that one?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

Jay, thanks for the link, but we don't have anymore room for books in our house.......nor do I have the money to buy all the recommendations you have posted.

In answer to the OP, for me, a "Christian" in one who believes in the fact that Jesus was the son of God, the purpose of his incarnation, and that Christ is part of the trinity (oops......no arguments about the Trinity, please, I am just stating my concept, of which the Trinity is central)

Aasimar

Atheist
Jay, thanks for the link, but we don't have anymore room for books in our house.......nor do I have the money to buy all the recommendations you have posted.

In answer to the OP, for me, a "Christian" in one who believes in the fact that Jesus was the son of God, the purpose of his incarnation, and that Christ is part of the trinity (oops......no arguments about the Trinity, please, I am just stating my concept, of which the Trinity is central)

I will second the please for no argument about the Trinity, since the thread was just to explore the different meanings of what the word "Christian" means to different people.