• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian women marrying muslim men

GoodbyeDave

Both of us have our own religion which is fine but when it comes to our children, I would like them to be christian and my boyfriend is saying they must be muslims as per his religion.
This is part of Islamic law.
http://islam.about.com/od/marriage/a/interfaithmarriage.htm
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=86755

This article may also prove useful
http://americamagazine.org/issue/322/article/when-muslims-and-christians-marry

whirlingmerc

Would it not be reasonable that any children from your union should be brought up
experiencing a view/experience of both beliefs with the opportunity to make their own
choice as they grow to maturity

I think people should be free to worship God to the best of their conscience and to the best of their understanding of truth.
Not always the case, unfortunately.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Not sure the faith is as important as the culture it engenders.
A strict muslim has no option but to obey the "rules"
This will definitely cause problems to the relationship as neither negotiation nor compromise are an option for him.

rusra02

Premium Member
Hello everyone..
I would like to ask a question.
Im a christian but I am in love with a muslim men..
However we came across something which is blocking us from getting married and its very serious as we are even thinking of breaking up because we cannot compromise..
Both of us have our own religion which is fine but when it comes to our children, I would like them to be christian and my boyfriend is saying they must be muslims as per his religion. In islam if the children doesnt follow father's religion or the father doesnt teach them Islam, everyone will be punished.. However I cannot let my children to be muslim.. is there anything in the bible about interfaith marriage and the children's beliefs?
Yes, there is. 1 Corinthians 7:39 urges Christians to "marry...only in the Lord", meaning a fellow Christian. Other principles related to this are stated at 2 Corinthians 6:14,15; "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever?" The problems created by marriage to a person of a different faith are many and difficult, IMO. The people of ancient Israel were warned by God; "You must not form any marriage alliances with them. [Canaanites] Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons. For they will turn your sons away from following me to serve other gods; then Jehovah’s anger will blaze against you." (Deuteronomy 7:3,4) The same fundamental truth applies today as well, IMO.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In islam if the children doesnt follow father's religion or the father doesnt teach them Islam, everyone will be punished.. However I cannot let my children to be muslim..
How about you and he decide not to have children? If the children's religious upbringings is more important than the relationship between the two of you it's probably best if you both find someone else and just be friends.
Tom

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Both sides must strongly identify with "their" religion in this case.

But some Americans do not understand that a person's "religion" in many other "cultures" is more, sometimes much more, than some set of scripture or dogma ... it is also a sense of community or klan or even nation. And this "community" concept sometimes even divides into "tribes" different circles WITHIN THE SAME RELIGION.

Now, as I discuss this, I am assuming you are an American - but I could be wrong. So if I am wrong, what I am about to explain may make no sense to you, perhaps you should dismiss it. But ...

Back to this discussion that with some, their religion isn't just a religion, or even much of a religion at all but a Clan or Community. Let me give the example of what I knew first hand, Angola. We will put it in the context of your religion, Christianity. So in the North-West part of Angola is Cabinda. There are a lot of Christians there. Now they have a "community" that is about the food that is eaten, the way you entertain yourself, family and guests. You have your own calendar. How you treat your in-laws and the elderly and your parents. Certain holidays, many actually about local traditions and under the guise of religion but about "we do this arts and crafts, and eat these gourds, and then the men meet here to drink paddy, the women make these colorful clothes that are green and red and then we show off the clothes at a meeting where some guy talks about the Jesus"... what does most of what I just said about gourds and green-red-with-BIG-hat have to do with Christianity?

Zero. It has to do with COMMUNITY CONSCIOUSNESS but there IS this guise of religion. But mostly it is "bigger" than Christianity while also being more NARROW in the sense of "I am Damba Christian from Cabinda and we eat a big roast but not bat like those in Luanda".

Then South and East of Cabinda way off there in the same Angola, there are these Christians. They don't racially look the same as in Cabinda. Like a Korean isn't a Chinese. The Cabinda has their name for their Christianity, and around Luanda they have a different name. Both Christians - but they don't call each others religion the same word. Luanda area, they have a big party where you must spend a lot of money on the appetizers at the party to be their Christian. Forget paddy, where is the Scotch? No big hats on these ladies, you better not be fat either like those up Cabinda way to be this Christian, though Luandans are not saying those other gals are fat but better you are not. And no BIG hats. The boy must eat this bush meat when 14, but it might be ok to eat a steak instead, but if you cannot afford a party it is ok to eat a monkey but a bat is for peasants. Now - how much money do you have to marry my beautiful daughter who works in a government office? We Luandans are the best Christians who dance."

You see? Different but strong community under the guise of religion.

For YOU the American, the Christian girl, you probably see religion in a pair of glasses that sees this Church, the preist or preacher is talking about Jesus as salvation or something from a scripture. You don't see, however, your religion as "our Uncle from Wisconsin" and "we like two eggs for breakfest, and every June we go to the car races in Gooper because we are good Christians and have you ever had grandma's Chicken pie?"...

No. Your "community" isn't your religion when you say "my religion". You don't say "my religion is the parade on yadda date for Miss Cheese Queen". No. You don't say that - BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD WHERE THAT IS WHAT RELIGION MEANS WHEN YOU SAY RELIGION.

Take the Panjabi Hindu. What is your religion, you ask the Panjabi? Oh, basmati rice and beat the dol (a type of drum). What?, you ask. Beat the dol? Yes, says the Panjabi, builds your muscle in case you beat the guy who cheats you on the fare, and praise our local Goddess (name)"... But what about the Gujarati Hindu? Oh, Guji. We greet each other in London if talking a jog and we bump into another Guji. But not the Panjabi. Then we say, is your daugher in school or married? This is our Hinduism. We are Guji Culture and we are the BEST!

Understand? Probably not. But you better if you are going to marry this guy. He sounds like CULTURE guy, not "religion" guy. You said he is a Muslim. Ok. Which? Shia? Suni? Other? Ok. WHICH REGION OF TURKEY (or Iraq, or is it UAE, Egypt?)?

This isn't just about Koran.

No. It is about what is the shape of the tea cup. Is the bread like THIS ... or THAT.

I think he is CULTURE Muslim, not religion. Tribe.

Syria is a Nation of Tribes, like Iraq. Raise your son as Muslim means he will need to visit granny these times and you must eat this bread with raisins in it to be Muslim of Yadda.

Undedstand?

So, that may be great for you. But understand, "Muslim" doesn't mean Quran. I can see it by instinct. It means eating THIS bread, and dancing THIS way or maybe you DONT dance with others but your sister-in-law from Wuranistan Tuqqa.

I ... excuse me ... dont think you know this. You have American sunglasses on that you see rose color. You think Muslim means "go to mosque, hear Quran" and your son gets this or that in mosque on day x and y and .... NOOO! NOT THAT! It means your Mother-In-Law is YOUR GOD! THIS is Babbalaba Muslim or else you are a traitor of the Babbalabaa CULTURE. Understand, Amerika? You don't have to be BORN in Babbalabaa to BE one. If you worship your Mother-In-Law and give her almond candy YOU can be Babbalabaa Muslim.

Else, we will get you girl for marrying my son! You don't know hell until that day. Eat almonds or die a BAD MUSLIM.

So, I could be wrong. But... this tells me... don't marry him. Because you are too provincial to understand the provincial ways of the provincial world. You are not a citizen of the world like me. So you do not understand the provincial ways of THE 10,000 TRIBES.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So, I could be wrong. But... this tells me... don't marry him. Because you are too provincial to understand the provincial ways of the provincial world. You are not a citizen of the world like me. So you do not understand the provincial ways of THE 10,000 TRIBES.
It is not easy to understand, ShivaFan, but true. :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This is a difficult situation for me to opine on, because it is so distant from my perspective.

Still, it seems to me that it is ever a good thing for a couple to have clear understanding of each other's goals and stances in matters of faith. I would advise you to try and make sure that you and your husband-to-be attain such an understanding. Is it clear to you why exactly he wants the children to be raised Muslim? And to him why you would rather have them be Christians?

It is probably a good idea to consider how you both plan to deal with the possibility of some of your children deciding against your wishes. It worries me some that you seem to take it for granted that their religions will be your choice as opposed to their own. From my personal experience, being told from early on that there is a choice does increase the chance of the choice being taken and I get the impression that neither of you are truly confortable with that possibility. It may be constructive to ponder a bit on how much peace of mind you could have if it comes to that.

Parsimony

Care to name any?
-Not having to get up in the middle of the night to tend to a crying baby.
-Not having to worry about their safety when they go out with friends as a teen.
-Financial resources can be diverted elsewhere.
-No need to worry about paying for their college education.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
-Not having to get up in the middle of the night to tend to a crying baby.
-Not having to worry about their safety when they go out with friends as a teen.
-Financial resources can be diverted elsewhere.
-No need to worry about paying for their college education.

Oh! I misread that as "having children definitely has its upsides!". But now I agree.

happyo

Islam teaches that we are all born Muslims, but our parents choose to lead us to another religion. In islam as in so many other religions a father and husband is the leader of the family he decides the religion. Most people don't know anything about the real teachings. They judge it by what the news tells them.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Islam teaches that we are all born Muslims, but our parents choose to lead us to another religion. In islam as in so many other religions a father and husband is the leader of the family he decides the religion.

CORRECTION: Many (all?) conservative forms of Islam teach these things. But not all forms of Islam.

Ardaakata

I was raised as a muslim and have faith in Islam. My mother and I moved to the United States when I was little. We lived in the "bible belt" they call it. In other words in the South East part of the United States. I grew up with christianity all over me. My mother not once let me be disrespectful towards christians and or Christianity. I married a Christian woman. She has no problem with me being a muslim. I do have to say I am not very religious. I act more often then actually practice Islam. I told her I will not push my religion on our children. I dont believe in force feeding children any religion. For the simple fact they just follow and don't really understand religion because of how complex it is. Frankly, I dont think kids really care about religion lol. They will be exposed to Christianity because of their environment. I have absolutely no problem with that. I have issues with my faith. I simply can not look in to my childs eye and lie to them about this religion is right and there is a God, because I simply am not sure. If they want to go to church with my inlaws and my wife that is perfectly fine. My main goal is to protect them from manipulation as a child and when they are mature and intelligent enough they can make their own decision on their faith. Of course If they ask me about my faith i will give them knowledge I have of Islam. But I will never force them to be muslim, jew, or a christian. Children are already sin free and pure. They dont have to know about any religion or God. Until they become adults and ignorance wont be an excuse anymore. Do I relate to any parents that is reading this? I would love your input.