• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian:Women in the Body of Christ

true blood

Many have posted that women are forbidden to teach in the Body of Christ. A body that isn't suppose to recognized gender roles for all are equal, special and worthy. The bible teaches many times to beware of the false doctrines, the false christs, and the false spirits. The bible even warns that there will be those who will stand before him on Judgement day boasting of their so called spiritual knowledge and acomplishments only to be asked to depart.

Yes, I am aware of Tim. and Cor. Two letters written to churches to correct them. However these letters were written during a time of "falling away from the truth". I do not agree with the modern translations. But why did God himself, make Debby a Judge of Israel? Perhaps men can be weak and women must step up to the plate? Maybe at times a woman is braver and more willing to do His will, over a man?

What about Acts 21:8-9? Women here are prophetesses. What about the women of Proverbs 31? What about Philippians 4:3 When women worked with Paul in spreading the Gospel. "And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life" Why, then, should people say that women have no right to preach, teach or share The Word?

Scripture teaches that everyone, male and female, are to Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say, Rejoice. If one knows that they have Christ, then they should rejoice. Learn by experience forbearance toward all because the Lord is always at hand for male and female has Christ in them. Maybe because God created Man before Woman, God would prefer that a man do the teaching or leading but a man has to be willing and many times in the bible they have shown their weakness or unwillingness to do God's will. The teachers are suppose to be those who actually live and do the word of God, not based on sex.

It's not like a husband does not stumble and fall or get down and blue at times. Why shouldn't the wife perhaps share some positive scripture with him and the family? People who preach Tim. and Cor. would say this is wrong to do. Why? Learn some forbearance because in reality it comes down to who is actually the doer of the Word.

writer

Many have posted that women are forbidden to teach in the Body of Christ.
Women aren't forbidden to "teach" except in the way of authority over a man (1 Tim 2:12; 1 Cor 14:34)

A body that isn't suppose to recognized gender roles for all are equal, special and worthy.
"There cannot be male and female"'s there's to be no inhibition of Christ in His Body based on natural distinctions. It means not to annihilate gender distinctions. He'll do that in transfiguration (Mk 12:25)

why did God himself, make Debby a Judge of Israel?
She knew Him. And preserved her hubby's headship

Perhaps men can be weak and women must step up to the plate? Maybe at times a woman is braver and more willing to do His will, over a man?
As often as vice versa

What about Acts 21:8-9? Women here are prophetesses.
Wonderful. "All can prophesy," 1 Cor 11:5; 14:3, 12, 24, 26, 31

What about the women of Proverbs 31?
Awesome

What about Philippians 4:3 When women worked with Paul in spreading the Gospel. "And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life"
Marvellous and necessary

Why, then, should people say that women have no right to preach, teach or share The Word?
Cuz such people may be ignorant

It's not like a husband does not stumble and fall or get down and blue at times. Why shouldn't the wife perhaps share some positive scripture with him and the family?
Fantastic. Thanks

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Women aren't allowed to have authority over a man in the church. They have other roles and jobs to fill. I'm a woman, and I believe this...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Anade said:
Women aren't allowed to have authority over a man in the church. They have other roles and jobs to fill. I'm a woman, and I believe this...
Women are allowed to have authority over a man in the Church. We all have roles to fill as equal members of the Body. I'm a man, and I believe this...

Why, then, should people say that women have no right to preach, teach or share The Word?
Cuz such people may be ignorant
or...maybe nobody's ignorant (thank you for your judgment). Maybe people just have differing perspectives about what is right and acceptable.

For example:
"There cannot be male and female"'s there's to be no inhibition of Christ in His Body based on natural distinctions. It means not to annihilate gender distinctions. He'll do that in transfiguration (Mk 12:25)

Mark 12:25 was about Jesus sidestepping a legalistic land mine with regard to marriage, not with regard to gender distinction. This quotation is how you interpret Biblical teaching. "There's to be no inhibition of Christ in his Body based on natural distinctions -- it means to to annihilate gender distinctions" is your interpretation. That's fine. You're welcome to attend church where people hold similar interpretations. But other people interpret that everyone is to be treated equally, without gender being brought into the equation. Just because some don't agree with your interpretation of scripture does not warrant a judgment of "ignorance."

Those who've been here long enough know that I give the "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" argument no quarter. It's weak, at its very best.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Women and men's roles in Society have changed. Can you conceive (any of you) what Christ would have said to someone doing genetic research when he was alive ?- Somehow, I think he would have thought that sacrilegious.

Women and men have 'gone into each other's territory' over the ages; I see no reason whatsoever for not allowing Women to be "The Religious Head" of a house.

A

angellous_evangellous

The oppression of women in Christianity is one of our most awesome failures.

writer

4 or...maybe nobody's ignorant (thank you for your judgment). Maybe people just have differing perspectives about what is right and acceptable.
You're welcome, and thank you for yours. Differin opinions R differin judgments. In any case, like u i wrote "may be." And in the NT apostles' judgment, women may of course prophesy also, only not in the way of exercisin headship

Mark 12:25 was about Jesus sidestepping a legalistic land mine with regard to marriage, not with regard to gender distinction.
To the contrary: i thot it reads that there'll be no marrying (gender distinction) in resurrection

This quotation is how you interpret Biblical teaching. "There's to be no inhibition of Christ in his Body based on natural distinctions -- it means to to annihilate gender distinctions" is your interpretation.
Ok. Tho i'd say it's simply a matter o' reading. And i agree it's a small matter. If you're not certain, we'll fer sure c in resurrection. No biggie

That's fine. You're welcome to attend church where people hold similar interpretations.
I'm also welcome to attend where folks hold dissimilar interpretations. Which dissimilarity's fine if there's no division over relative trivia

But other people interpret that everyone is to be treated equally, without gender being brought into the equation.
It depends on the context. As in various portions of Scrip in post 2

Just because some don't agree with your interpretation of scripture does not warrant a judgment of "ignorance."
To the contrary: if someone teaches contrary to the apostles' teaching, yet justifies it; that's ignorance. I don't hold it against u or them. And again, i qualified my statement that you're offended by by having written: "may be ignorant."
Thanks Sojourner

A

angellous_evangellous

angellous_evangellous said:
The oppression of women in Christianity is one of our most awesome failures.

Quite so. It seems that the fundie wacko churches that still promote this kind of nonsense are still heavily influenced by leading ladies who keep the church organized, funded, and theologically sound.:sheep:

A

angellous_evangellous

Quite so. It seems that the fundie wacko churches that still promote this kind of nonsense are still heavily influenced by leading ladies who keep the church organized, funded, and theologically sound.:sheep:

Yeah, I've seen that in my experience, too. One would think that WWII taught everyone that women can do everything that a man can do... that combined with more responsible theological thinking and interpretative skill seals the deal.

A

angellous_evangellous

Yeah, I've seen that in my experience, too. One would think that WWII taught everyone that women can do everything that a man can do... that combined with more responsible theological thinking and interpretative skill seals the deal.

Remember - these wackos are usually the same ones trying to argue for "creation science" to be taught in schools. :rolleyes:

A

angellous_evangellous

Remember - these wackos are usually the same ones trying to argue for "creation science" to be taught in schools. :rolleyes:

That's true, but one can still hope.:eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

Hope for what? :confused:

Christian evangelicals (eg, the ones who follow the dark trinity - Dobson, Falwell, Patterson) to realize that 1950's values were an attempt for men to reclaim their power over women and re-establish their tyrannical rule over every aspect of American life. The coincidence that 1950's values reflect that of a plain reading of Scripture is rooted in the nature of patriarchy and not evidence that America ever was a Christian nation. The biblical world oppressed women, and we are not to do the same.

Little to evangelicals realize that slavery was a part of the acient household just as much as marriage. We've done away with slavery - we need to do away with all forms of patriarchy as well - socially, religiously, and economically - completely allowing women to be their beautiful selves.

A

angellous_evangellous

Christian evangelicals (eg, the ones who follow the dark trinity - Dobson, Falwell, Patterson) to realize that 1950's values were an attempt for men to reclaim their power over women and re-establish their tyrannical rule over every aspect of American life. The coincidence that 1950's values reflect that of a plain reading of Scripture is rooted in the nature of patriarchy and not evidence that America ever was a Christian nation. The biblical world oppressed women, and we are not to do the same.

Little to evangelicals realize that slavery was a part of the acient household just as much as marriage. We've done away with slavery - we need to do away with all forms of patriarchy as well - socially, religiously, and economically - completely allowing women to be their beautiful selves.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

lunamoth

Will to love
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

There are not enough frubals in the world. :biglaugh:

Here, have some cranberry sauce.

CranberryBlisscomp.jpg

A

angellous_evangellous

lunamoth said:
There are not enough frubals in the world. :biglaugh:

Here, have some cranberry sauce.

CranberryBlisscomp.jpg

MMmm cranberries and beer....

A

angellous_evangellous

Just because he has a penis Homer is the spiritual "head" of his family.