• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Warfare

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would agree the point of Jesus' illustrations / parables is not about real persons, etc.
However, the 4 gospel accounts 'about Jesus' life' does deal with real persons places and things. - Luke 3
If you agree that it's the message and not the details or the facts of the persons in the stories, that are the important thing, then why does it matter to make an argument to convince people that the stories in the gospels are about historical facts? If the message is what matters, then why focus on proving things historically in order to have faith?

Isn't that missing the point of the gospels themselves? Wouldn't that be like having a debate that the Good Samaritan is based upon a historical event, and you need to prove it to the skeptic in order for them to believe that we should care for others outside of our own in-groups? Isn't trying to prove that the earth is 6000 years old, when all the evidence shows that it's not, or that evolution couldn't possibly be true because it's not spelled out scientifically in the book of Genesis, missing the point of the entire story itself? You see my point here?

It's the meaning of the message, through the stories themselves, either based on real events in whole, in part, or totally made up, that matters. Arguing for the events to be facts in order to believe the message of the story, is a distraction from the message itself.

I find false clergy often ignore Jesus' true message of Matthew 24:14; Acts of the Apostles 1:8.
They place God's kingdom as just dealing with Heaven and ignore Earth - Daniel 2:44,
I would go further than that, and say that those who place the kingdom of God in some future time or place, after this life, after the end of the world, are missing the point that God is Present in this world right now, in everyone's life, if they care to access that for themselves, here in this world, in themselves, right now. The purpose or rather the message, is not "it comes later", but it comes now.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If you agree that it's the message and not the details or the facts of the persons in the stories, that are the important thing, then why does it matter to make an argument to convince people that the stories in the gospels are about historical facts? If the message is what matters, then why focus on proving things historically in order to have faith?
Isn't that missing the point of the gospels themselves? Wouldn't that be like having a debate that the Good Samaritan is based upon a historical event, and you need to prove it to the skeptic in order for them to believe that we should care for others outside of our own in-groups? Isn't trying to prove that the earth is 6000 years old, when all the evidence shows that it's not, or that evolution couldn't possibly be true because it's not spelled out scientifically in the book of Genesis, missing the point of the entire story itself? You see my point here?
It's the meaning of the message, through the stories themselves, either based on real events in whole, in part, or totally made up, that matters. Arguing for the events to be facts in order to believe the message of the story, is a distraction from the message itself.
I would go further than that, and say that those who place the kingdom of God in some future time or place, after this life, after the end of the world, are missing the point that God is Present in this world right now, in everyone's life, if they care to access that for themselves, here in this world, in themselves, right now. The purpose or rather the message, is not "it comes later", but it comes now.

Thank you for your reply.
As Jesus being head (king) of the Christian congregation no matter where located on Earth, then yes, God's kingdom is present today.
And yes, if anyone cares they can access that for themselves ( through prayer, Scripture and good association )
The political statue found in Daniel chapter 2 deals with both past and present-day kingdoms of the world.
Jesus is the figurative 'stone' that will govern not only over the Christian congregation but over the whole Earth (Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-15)
In the meantime, as Revelation 12:12,9 informs us that Satan misleads this corrupted world. (2 Cor. 4:4)

Since Genesis does Not say a 6,000 year old Earth, and for that matter it does Not say if all of the creative days are of the same or of differing lengths of time. CMBR is in harmony with Scripture.

God could have used evolution is lower-life forms but Not where Genesis 2:7 is concerned.
Humans, starting with Adam did Not evolve but Adam was fashioned or formed from the already existing dust of the Earth, and dead Adam 'returned' to where he started - the dust - Genesis 3:19.

To me the message is fortified by what is written in Scripture - 2 Timothy 3:16-17
Whether by accounts or by parable illustrations which Jesus explained or expounded upon - Matthew 13:34; Mark 4:34