• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Trinity

Muffled

Jesus in me
This is only for Christians. All the other religions that I’m aware of have their god and they all see god properly, as far as I can tell (from my extremely limited experience). It’s the Christian religion construct of a trinity of persons that is contrary to common sense. So, I propose the following, for those who call themselves Christian, to ponder:

“The absolute God is Jesus Christ, who is the Lord Jehovah, Creator from eternity, Redeemer in time, and Regenerator to eternity. He is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit combined. This is the gospel that needs to be preached.” - True Christianity

This seems to make infinitely more sense than the ‘mystery’ of the trinity. What do you think?

I believe that is a sensible view.

I believe the gospel to be preached is of the Kingdom of God, eternal life, and the attribution of righteousness to the believer.

I believe that is because they have an uncommon view of what person means. One can't go by any of the usual dictionary definitions but must go by the ecclesiastical definition.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why not think of "God" like you think of a family. You can have one family that is made up of several persons. Why can't you have one "God" that is made up of several persons? We even talk about a father and a son. That sure sounds like a family. And God gives people the power to become his adopted children. So the family is growing. God is NOT three persons but is a family made up of MANY adopted children. You could even be one of them andthat would make you part of God.

I believe the phrase is: "May it never be." God does not have parts.

I believe that is the Sabellian heresy: In Christianity, Sabellianism in the Eastern church or Patripassianism in the Western church is the belief that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three different modes or aspects of God, as opposed to a Trinitarian view of three distinct persons within the Godhead - Wikipedia

Muffled

Jesus in me
I would agree that the doctrine of the Trinity is absurd. However, it is equally absurd to say that Jesus, the son of God, is the Father of himself.

I believe with men this is absurd but with God all things are possible. But of course if you are thinking of a physical Father that is not the case although it could be done the Qu'ran says God does not have sons ie he does not procreate.

LightofTruth

I believe with men this is absurd but with God all things are possible. But of course if you are thinking of a physical Father that is not the case although it could be done the Qu'ran says God does not have sons ie he does not procreate.
Right, it is absurd to think that sons are as old as their Fathers. Therefore, Jesus, being the son of the Father, is not as old as his Father.
But let's look at it this way. Suppose I am the Father of a son who is younger than I. And suppose that I want my son to be viewed as Myself. I want all things that can be applied to Me to be applied to My son also.What could I do if I were God, the Father?
Well, I could give to My son of My own Spirit by which I have been able to do all things. In that way, My son could be viewed as being Me. He could be said to have created all things and be the upholder of all things because he has been given of My Spirit through whom I have created all things and by which I uphold all things.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Muslims are not always wrong.

Jeremiah Ames

No, here's the reality of it:

the-holy-trinity-diagram.png

The Lord’s reality?

Or the reality of your religion?

It’s definitely not both.

Jeremiah Ames

Twenty years ago I might have agreed, but this is a reductionist approach you are talking about.We don't have God in a box, but that goes both ways. A Christian inherits from the Father, the invisible, the incomprehensible, not from some guy who we can make paintings of. I don't agree with making a creed and compelling others to endorse it, which is simply a political compulsion to accept someone else's speech. In defense of Trinity is that Christians generally believe that God is omnipresent, which is why philosophy (and by extension the Trinity) is an acceptable way to learn things about God. Just as you can learn about God from a grain of sand you can do it in other ways, like from dancing or from farming. Maybe you encounter a burning bush that doesn't burn up. That doesn't mean that everybody has to find a talking, burning bush in the desert, but there's nothing wrong with you finding a talking burning bush. Trinity is like that. For some people its their burning bush experience.

I refer you to the Hstory of the doctrine of the Trinity which is well documented. Its no secret how it was developed. As a tool I don't see why there is any problem with it. Yes, I do view as somewhat idolatrous (or at least not Catholic) making other people come to God through your method. If you don't find the Trinity useful, then I don't think you need to accept or endorse it. Therefore I think the creeds are themselves boastful, probably can be ignored. I don't have a problem with people who don't understand or who don't accept the Trinity; and as for people who are always pushing creeds I can overlook their pushiness with a little bit of love. Or I should. Its not always easy.
I can agree with your thoughtful response.
My problem comes from the fact that too many people THINK 3 different gods.
And I believe this false thinking is a result of the absurd trinity.

In one of the many churches I have attended, the pastor came to the rear of the sanctuary where I was sitting along with many other attendees, and claimed the holy spirit was not there. If the holy spirit IS God and God IS omnipresent, then how could a pastor think such an absurdity? I found this 3 God concept to be the norm rather than the exception when talking with other ‘Christians’.

I really think it’s a stumbling block for many people in the church buildings.
Possibly one that prevents many from finding the Lord.

Neuropteron

“The absolute God is Jesus Christ, who is the Lord Jehovah, Creator from eternity, Redeemer in time, and Regenerator to eternity. He is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit combined. This is the gospel that needs to be preached.” - True Christianity
What do you think?

Ever since Constantine, the church has worked very hard to fuse trinitarian doctrines with the Bible. These efforts have proved to be in vain, except for a few amphibolous phrases (in the Bible) that are used to support the doctrine of a triune God-ship.

It certainly is possible to explain a "combination" God using Metaphysical philosophy, and this might in effect make sense. However this is not scriptural reasoning.

The sum of scriptures clearly and unequivocally stating that Jesus is the son and a different person to the Father is almost innumerable.

i.e
Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus....who sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
John 20:17 "I am ascending to my Father...to my God and your God"

These 2 scriptures for example can only be explained metaphysically but not scripturally.
Can a person sit beside himself?
Can I ascend to myself and call myself “my God”?

btw, the " the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit combined" is a form of trinity.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Ever since Constantine, the church has worked very hard to fuse trinitarian doctrines with the Bible. These efforts have proved to be in vain, except for a few amphibolous phrases (in the Bible) that are used to support the doctrine of a triune God-ship.
The Trinitarian concept is based on interpretation, and interpretations by their nature are largely unprovable.

The sum of scriptures clearly and unequivocally stating that Jesus is the son and a different person to the Father is almost innumerable.
The Trinitarian concept does not negate what you say above, and part of the key to understanding this is to look up the Greek concept of "essence", and the Wikipedia source is actually quite acceptable. That concept is heavily used throughout the NT and within the Church itself.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
umm, there is something missing from your thinking.

True Christianity is the book I was quoting.

Not to be confused religious orthodoxy.
But “True Christianity” isn’t orthodox theology; it’s Protestant theology, which sometimes holds a skewed (sometimes heretical) view of the Trinity. There’s nothing missing from my thinking. The book’s title is a misnomer and disingenuous, because it does not espouse Orthodoxy that is true Xy.

Neuropteron

The Trinitarian concept does not negate what you say above, and part of the key to understanding this is to look up the Greek concept of "essence",

I agree with your comments, the issue is, that it “adds” Greek philosophy to the teachings of Christ.
The doctrine that we end up with, is something like:
Jesus is the son but he is also the father.
it’s akin to saying: My canary is a bird but also a cat.

The first followers of Christ did not follow Greek philosopher who took their inspiration from pagan religion, but followed exclusively the teaching of Jesus.
Since these metaphysical concepts are in direct contradiction to scriptural doctrines, why should we combine them?

The “essence” or nature of Jesus is clear when we confine it to the scriptures, it becomes complicated and “mysterious” when we attempt to add Greek philosophy to it.

be well

101G

The absolute God is Jesus Christ, who is the Lord Jehovah, Creator from eternity, Redeemer in time, and Regenerator to eternity. He is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit combined. This is the gospel that needs to be preached.” - True Christianity
Addressing to OP only, and not haven't read all the replies. you said that Jesus is the Lord Jehovah, creator, and that, "He is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit combined".
ok, may I ask a question, Isaiah 48:15 & 16 "I, even I, have spoken; yea, I have called him: I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous." 16 "Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me."
so who was sent?. the Father, the son, or the ??? .... for if the Lord Jesus is your Jehovah, who is the "I" that was sent?

PICJAG.

101G

No, here's the reality of it:

the-holy-trinity-diagram.png
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but may I ask you a question. if the 3 person are not the other, question, Revelation 1:1 "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:"
so who SENT his Angel to John? but before you answer that read this. Revelation 22:6 "And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done."

so the angel who was sent told John exactly who sent him "The Lord God of the holy prophets"
now looking at your chart above, is the Lord God of the ..... holy prophets is A. the one whom you calls the Father or it the one whom you calls Son here, which one?
will be looking for your answer, thanks in advance.

PICJAG.

101G

I would agree that the doctrine of the Trinity is absurd. However, it is equally absurd to say that Jesus, the son of God, is the Father of himself.
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this, Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
that Son that was given holds the title "Father" is this correct?

PICJAG.

101G

OK, but first tell me whether your views are your opinion or if it's based on the Bible, and show me the scriptures that say adopted children are also God (i.e. your claim: "God is NOT three persons but is a family made up of MANY adopted children.")?

The Trinity scriptures:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" - Matthew 28:19

"Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance." - 1 Peter 1:2

"“And the Holy Spirit descended upon Him [Jesus] in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, “You are My [the Father’s] beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased." - Luke 4:32

More examples in the link below:

20 Bible verses that mention all Trinity members

Also, the Holy Spirit is God (Acts chapter 5).

Plus, the Deity of Jesus Christ: The Deity of Jesus Christ in Scripture
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. what one might read may not yeild true understanding. example, Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."
here in verse 26, is sound like it's more than one person, do it not?. sounding and knowing is two different animal. here in verse 26 is says, "Let us make man in our image", sound like more than one, for us and our are plural designations, correct? but listen to the very next verse. Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
ok, how did God go from "US" and "OUR" which indicate a plurality to "HIS" and "HE" which are single designations. well was it us and our who created man or was it his and him who created man?. I say let the Lord Jesus answer this question once and for all, for he cannot lie.... correct?.

in Matthews chapter 19 the Pharisees came to the Lord Jesus tempting him about divorcement, but what he said was an eye opener, listen. Matthew 19:3 & 4 "The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?" 4 "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female," the "he" here, a single designations, it is referring to God in Genesis 1:26 where the "US" and "OUR" is used. and this is confirmed by Mark 10:6 "But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.". so the he in Matthews chapter 19 is God in Mark 10.

so we know that the Lord Jesus cannot "LIE". so now one need to explain the "US" and the "OUR" in verse 26 of Genesis chapter 1. which the book of Romans holds the answer.as well as the book of Isaiah

PICJAG.

tigger2

Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this, Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
that Son that was given holds the title "Father" is this correct?

PICJAG.

Isaiah 9:6

The NASB says at Is. 9:6 –

“For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”

All Christians, I believe, accept this son as being the Christ. Some will tell you that since the meaning of this symbolic name includes the words “Mighty God, Eternal Father,” then Jesus is the Mighty God and the Eternal Father.”

But there are at least two other ways this personal name has been interpreted by reputable Bible scholars. (1) The titles within the name (e.g., “Mighty God”) are intended in their secondary, subordinate senses. (2) the titles within the name are meant to praise God the Father, not the Messiah.

First, there is the possibility that the words (or titles) found in the literal meaning of the name apply directly to the Messiah but in a subordinate sense. In other words, Christ is “a mighty god” in the same sense that God’s angels were called “gods” and the judges of Israel were called “gods” by God himself (also by Jesus - John 10:34, 35), and Moses was called “a god” by Jehovah himself.

Yes, men and angels were called gods (elohim - Hebrew; theos - Greek) in a proper, but subordinate, sense by Jehovah and his inspired Bible writers. Although they were given this elevated title in a proper sense (not false gods), it was obviously with the clear understanding that it in no way implied a comparison with the Most High, Only True God. (A bank employee calling his boss, the head of the bank, “the president” would certainly not imply an equality of position, power, etc. with “The President” [of the USA].)

The word “god” as understood by those who used that term simply meant “one who is mighty in some sense” - see Young’s Concordance. This could include mighty in strength or authority. And the word “Mighty” as found at Is. 9:6 is also applied to the angels at Ps. 103:20.

In addition to the distinct possibility of the use of the secondary subordinate meanings of the titles such as “God/god” as explained by Bible language scholars, we can see by the actual renderings of some trinitarian Bible translators at Is. 9:6 that they believe such subordinate meanings were intended by the inspired Bible writer.

Instead of “Mighty God,” Dr. James Moffatt translated this part of Is. 9:6 as “a divine hero;” Byington has “Divine Champion;” The New English Bible has “In Battle Godlike;” The Catholic New American Bible (1970 and 1991 revision) renders it “God-Hero;” and the REB says “Mighty Hero.” Even the respected Biblical Hebrew language expert, Gesenius, translated it “mighty hero” - p. 45, Gesenius’ Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon.

Also, The NIV Study Bible, in a f.n. for Ps 45:6, tells us:

“In this psalm, which praises the king and especially extols his ‘splendor and majesty’ (v. 3), it is not unthinkable that he was called ‘god’ as a title of honor [cf. Isa 9:6].” (Bracketed information included in original footnote.)

In addition, Rotherham has rendered “Eternal Father” as “father of progress,” and the New English Bible translates it: “father of a wide realm.”

The above-mentioned Bible translations by trinitarian scholars which apply the words in the name at Is. 9:6 in a subordinate sense directly to Jesus clearly show that they do not believe this scripture implies an equality with Jehovah the Father.

And second, another way competent Bible scholars have interpreted the meaning of this name is with the understanding that it does not apply directly to the Messiah himself.

This is the same way that many, if not most, of the other Israelites’ personal names (e.g. Abijah, Elijah, Isaiah, Joab, etc.) were meant to apply to something or someone other than themselves. Often these personal names are praising or recognizing the Almighty God.

Personal names in the ancient Hebrew and Greek are often somewhat cryptic to us today. The English Bible translator must fill in the missing minor words (especially in names composed of two or more Hebrew words) such as “my,” “is,” “of,” etc. in whatever way he thinks best in order to make sense for us today in English.

For example, the footnote for Gen. 17:5 in The NIV Study Bible: The name ‘Abram’ “means ‘Exalted Father,’ probably in reference to God (i.e., ‘[God is the] Exalted Father’).” - bracketed information is in the original.

Therefore, the personal name has been honestly translated in the footnote for Is. 9:6 as:

“And his name is called: Wonderful in counsel IS God the Mighty, the Everlasting Father, the Ruler of Peace” - The Holy Scriptures, JPS Version (Margolis, ed.)

to show that it is intended to praise the God of the Messiah who performs great things through the Messiah.

The Leeser Bible also translates it:

“Wonderful, counsellor of the mighty God, of the everlasting Father, the prince of peace”

Also, An American Translation (by trinitarians Smith & Goodspeed) says:

“Wonderful Counselor IS God Almighty, Father forever, Prince of Peace.”

Of course it could also honestly be translated:

“The Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God Is the Eternal Father of the Prince of Peace.”

And the Tanakh by the JPS, 1985, translates it:

[1] “The Mighty God is planning grace;

[2] The Eternal Father [is] a peaceable ruler.”

This latter translation seems particularly appropriate since it is in the form of a parallelism. Not only was the previous symbolic personal name introduced by Isaiah at Is. 8:1 a parallelism (“Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz” means [a]“quick to the plunder; swift to the spoil” - NIV footnote) but the very introduction to this Messianic name at Is. 9:6 is itself a parallelism: [a]“For unto us a child is born; unto us a son is given.” It would, therefore, be appropriate to find that this name, too, was in the form of a parallelism as translated by the Tanakh above.

So it is clear, even to a trinitarian scholar, that Is. 9:6 probably was not intended to imply that Jesus is Jehovah God.

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2010/01/name.html