• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: The Ten Commandments: Are they for us?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Baerly said:
Hi, How are you? Did you know that the 10 Comm were ONLY given to the Jews according to (Ex.34:27). The Gentiles never were under the 10 comm.

I am a Gentile,how about you? in love Baerly

So not killing does not apply to you? I highly doubt it. If you've read the beatitudes you'd understand.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Christ reiterated the ten commandments within the New Testament of the Bible, so we're totally to follow the ten commandments. They do apply to Christians.

However, above all...we are to LOVE because Christ is love. God is love. And when we love...we fulfill the law. When you love, it all falls into place. I'm beginning to understand the beauty of this a little more each day.

Baerly

beckysoup61 said:
So not killing does not apply to you? I highly doubt it. If you've read the beatitudes you'd understand.

My friend, Killing is not wrong for people on this side of the cross because the 10 comm says so.

Killing is wrong because the N.T.Law says so (1Cor.6:9,10) & (Gal.5:19-21).

The 10 comm were only given to the Jewish people (Ex.34:27)

(Heb.8) (Heb.9:15) tell us of the changing from the O.T. to the N.T.

in love Baerly

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The commandments were given to God's faithful people. If Gentiles participate in a circumcision, not of flesh, but of faith, then they also participate in the Law, although with different impetus. The Law does not make the Christian righteous; Christ, who fulfills the Law, makes us righteous. Because Christians, by virtue of faith and baptism are "in Christ," we are righteous because of the one in whom we now live. Not because of Paul's letters. We do not murder because we are in Christ -- not because we read the letters of Paul.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
The law was given because of offenses. They already existed before the law. The law defined them. It also gave a way for redemption until the coming of Christ.

Walking in the perfect law of love means that there are no offenses and no need for a law. Christ fulfilled the law by living His life without offense.

Now that Christ has made one payment for all offenses the redeeming features of the law are no longer needed. Before the cross animal sacrifice put the offenders back on the track of living in the perfect law of love. Christ did away with the need for further sacrifice.

Offenses still exist and in that light the commandments are still in effect. Remember the law did not pass away after Christ, the method of atonement changed.

Baerly

sojourner said:
The commandments were given to God's faithful people. If Gentiles participate in a circumcision, not of flesh, but of faith, then they also participate in the Law, although with different impetus. The Law does not make the Christian righteous; Christ, who fulfills the Law, makes us righteous. Because Christians, by virtue of faith and baptism are "in Christ," we are righteous because of the one in whom we now live. Not because of Paul's letters. We do not murder because we are in Christ -- not because we read the letters of Paul.

Pauls letters were the actual words of Jesus according to (John 14:26 ; 16:13) & (1Cor.14:37). When we obey the words of Pauls letters we are obeying the commandments of our Lord. (2Peter 2:21) says when we stop obeying those commandments of our Lord we end up lost and he gives us a couple of ugly images to show us.- in love Baerly

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Do you, as a Christian, believe that the Ten Commandments apply to us? I ask this because I have been told on more than one occasion that pretty much every law given by God during Old Testament times was fulfilled by Jesus Christ when He established the new covenant. Personally, I don't see it that way. I do believe that His gospel replaced the old Mosaic law, but I don't see that as an excuse for us to ignore God's commandments such as those which forbid adultery, idol worship, etc. and require us to keep the Sabbath Day holy. Where do you draw the line? Which commandments do you feel justified in saying don't apply to us anymore?

Most of the Ten Commandments still apply. Jesus told us not to murder, commit adultery, etc. in the New Testament. However, he never told us to keep the sabbath holy. The Bible DOES tell us that early Christians gathered together on the first day of the week. So.....

Bishka

Veteran Member
Anade said:
Most of the Ten Commandments still apply. Jesus told us not to murder, commit adultery, etc. in the New Testament. However, he never told us to keep the sabbath holy. The Bible DOES tell us that early Christians gathered together on the first day of the week. So.....

So it does not matter what the 'God' of the Old Testament said, even if He said it before Jesus.

Baerly

beckysoup61 said:
So it does not matter what the 'God' of the Old Testament said, even if He said it before Jesus.

Oh, but it does matter what the God of the Old Testament said.

We cannot understand the New Testament well until we understand the O.T.

It has been said that "The O.T. is the N.T. concealed and the N.T. is the O.T revealed". The more I study the bible the more I find this is to be true.

Even in the O.T. We see the Prophecies of Jesus coming to earth.

We also learn how God dealt with people when they obeyed and disobeyed his commands (Rom.15:4) (1Cor.10:6).

We are ONLY under the N.T law (Heb.9:15-17) (Heb.8:6-10) (Heb.7:12 ; 10:9) (Gal.6:2) (James 1:25).

Even in the O.T. scriptures were telling the people that there would be a New Covenant. And this New Covenant would include the forgiveness of sins (Ex.34:27,28) (Jer.31:31-34). We have been living under this New Testament since the death of Jesus.

in love Baerly

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Baerly said:
Pauls letters were the actual words of Jesus according to (John 14:26 ; 16:13) & (1Cor.14:37). When we obey the words of Pauls letters we are obeying the commandments of our Lord. (2Peter 2:21) says when we stop obeying those commandments of our Lord we end up lost and he gives us a couple of ugly images to show us.- in love Baerly

I don't read it that way. While the teaching is correct, Paul's words are Paul's words. Jesus is not directly quoted by Paul. 2 Peter says nothing about "stopping obeying those commandments of our Lord." It's talking about false teaching -- not disobeying the Law.

In what way does any of this refute my post?