• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: The Book Of Mormon vs. The Holy Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo

I was just wondering what you guys had to say about this.
It's a video comparing The Book Of Mormon to the Holy Bible. It basically ends up proving the bible and disproving the book of mormon
But in my defence, I just saw this today, so this isn't what converted me or anything like that.
Also, i almost didn't post this because i thought i might be attacked for being anti-mormon or mean to your beliefs or something like that, so just watch it at your own will and only if you really have a desire to debate your own religion.
And for the record, I'm not expecting to convert any of you with this, i just wondered what your comments are on it.
And yeah, you might want to get some popcorn out because this video is over an hour long (the first one is low resolution)
http://calvaryslc.org/lds/lowband.htm
http://calvaryslc.org/lds/highband.htm

A

angellous_evangellous

waldo said:
It's a video comparing The Book Of Mormon to the Holy Bible. It basically ends up proving the bible and disproving the book of mormon
But in my defence, I just saw this today, so this isn't what converted me or anything like that.
Also, i almost didn't post this because i thought i might be attacked for being anti-mormon or mean to your beliefs or something like that, so just watch it at your own will and only if you really have a desire to debate your own religion.
And for the record, I'm not expecting to convert any of you with this, i just wondered what your comments are on it.
And yeah, you might want to get some popcorn out because this video is over an hour long (the first one is low resolution)
I couldn't watch the whole thing. It took to long to get to the "experts." It had a lot of cool shots of the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake!:p

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am not much into propaganda movies from any faith, they are always so one sided.
The first 10 minutes of this were no exception.
They chose the topics,they chose the witnesses. they edited the film.
Under those circumstances of course they gave them selves the stronger argument.
When you chose the words for both sides of an argument ...that is not a debate.
In the light of this, the films have little value except in promoting dissention.

Terry______________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

waldo

Terrywoodenpic said:
I am not much into propaganda movies from any faith, they are always so one sided.
The first 10 minutes of this were no exception.
They chose the topics,they chose the witnesses. they edited the film.
Under those circumstances of course they gave them selves the stronger argument.
When you chose the words for both sides of an argument ...that is not a debate.
In the light of this, the films have little value except in promoting dissention.

Terry______________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God
But the point is, do you agree with it or not?
The debate isn't really in the video, it's between your faith and the video. That's why i brought it here, so you guys could debate it and try to contradict it.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
waldo said:
But the point is, do you agree with it or not?
The debate isn't really in the video, it's between your faith and the video. That's why i brought it here, so you guys could debate it and try to contradict it.
There is no point in discussing something of so little value.
my faith as a Christian sees no value in religious propaganda.
or in supporting one set of Christians against another.

Terry____________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Aqualung

Tasty
Why are we having a Bible versus the BoM debate? They're not meant to go against each other like that. They're meant to compliment each other.

Did you know that they can't find evidence for much of the stuff written about in the Bible? They haven't found Adam or Eve. They haven't found evidence of a flood. They found Jericho, but the events surrounding jericho as portrayed in the Bible couldn't have taken place there. Neither book is meant as history. They are both telling synchronic truthes.

Squirt

waldo said:
waldo,

I'm not going to "attack" you for being "anti-Mormon." Your profile states that you "recently converted from Mormonism to Christianity." It also indicates that you're a 17-year-old kid. That tells me all I need to know.

You were obviously raised LDS, and I suspect your parents are upset (maybe angry, maybe just disappointed) about your decision. Getting a reaction from them was likely part of your reason for leaving the Church. Now you're faced with trying to justify your decision in your own mind, so your turning to anti-LDS propoganda and are maybe even being suckered in to believing it. Based on my own experience in the Church -- and I have about 20 years on you -- your actual knowledge of LDS doctrine is very, very superficial at this point in your life. There is one thing, however, that you do know about LDS doctrine. If you have been even marginally active in the Church during your 17 years, you know you're not just now becoming a "Christian." You've been a Christian all along. You're just moving from one Christian denomination to another one.

My computer speakers aren't working right now, so I can't watch your video. I doubt very much that I'd learn anything from it, to be perfectly honest. But I've got to tell you one thing: People have been trying for 175 years now to disprove the Book of Mormon. It hasn't been done yet, and I doubt very much that this video is any more successful than any of the other hundreds of failed attempts over the years. I'll tell you what I'll do, though, since I can't watch the video. I'll debate you one-on-one. You use the material presented in the video to disprove the Church and/or the Book of Mormon, and I'll debate the opposite position. Just you and me. How about it, waldo?

jonny

waldo said:
I say that this church is pathetic and sad. I was able to decifer this from the first 30 seconds of the film (which were the only 30 seconds I watched). Are its doctrines so weak that it has to resort to bashing other religions to build up its members' faith?

Imagine how much good they could have done if they had created a film testifying of what they believe without trying to offend the beliefs of others.

Steve

Aqualung said:
Why are we having a Bible versus the BoM debate? They're not meant to go against each other like that. They're meant to compliment each other.
I disagree.

Aqualung said:
Did you know that they can't find evidence for much of the stuff written about in the Bible?
I disagree.

Aqualung said:
They haven't found evidence of a flood.
I disagree.

Aqualung said:
Neither book is meant as history. They are both telling synchronic truthes.
I disagree.

Aqualung

Tasty
Squirt said:
Wow! Profound! Loved your evidence, by the way. :biglaugh: Is "I disagree" really the best you can do?
I know!! Wow! I stand in awe of you!! :bow:

I especially liked the part where you disagreed to something that LDS know a lot more about than you. :D That was my favourite. :bow:

Steve

:bounce i expected those replies.
My point was that Aqualung himself provided no evidence for his statements, he just made them. I disagreed so i figured id just make my statement.

Cheers
Steve

Aqualung

Tasty
Okay, do you want my proof?

I'm LDS. I know the relationship between BoM and the Bible. IN fact, it's stated in the begining of the BoM.

For the flood, look at all the billion threads on this forum where people try to prove a flood but can't.

For stuff that they can't find proof for, look at Jericho.

For the fact that the Bible is synchronic, look at my OT class thread.

Squirt

Steve said:
:bounce i expected those replies.
My point was that Aqualung himself provided no evidence for his statements, he just made them. I disagreed so i figured id just make my statement.

Cheers
Steve
By the way, Aqualung is not a man. She's a woman.

So, Steve, could I interest you in a one-on-one debate on the first issue on which you disagreed with Aqualung:

They're not meant to go against each other like that. They're meant to compliment each other.

Since you believe the Book of Mormon's purpose is to "go against" the Bible, would you be willing to debate me on that subject -- just the two of us?

Steve

Aqualung said:
Okay, do you want my proof?

I'm LDS. I know the relationship between BoM and the Bible. IN fact, it's stated in the begining of the BoM.
Ok im Christian and do not believe your "prophet" was a genuine prophet. I believe he mislead people and taught alot that goes against the Bible, this is why i dont believe his book and the Bible should be regarded as complimenting each other.

Aqualung said:
For the flood, look at all the billion threads on this forum where people try to prove a flood but can't.
Well i have participated in many of those threads and do believe their is plennty of proof for a global flood, much of how your look at the evidence will actually depend on your presupposition (eg i see all the strata with their fossils etc as proof of the flood while another person will see the same thing as evidence of millions of years of death and circustances that allowed fossilisation etc), besides as one who claims to believe in the bible why dont you believe it when it plainly teaches about historic events especially when Jesus himself believes those events as many of his comments show?

Aqualung said:
For stuff that they can't find proof for, look at Jericho.
Ok ill look into it.

Aqualung said:
For the fact that the Bible is synchronic, look at my OT class thread.
Do you have a link to the thread?
Besides i disagree because much of the bible is so obviously written as plain history and was/is believed to describe real historic events. Jesus himself often quoted the historic records that the OT contained regarding things like the flood and when God made male and female etc - was he wrong to believe those things?

Steve

Squirt said:
By the way, Aqualung is not a man. She's a woman.

So, Steve, could I interest you in a one-on-one debate on the first issue on which you disagreed with Aqualung:

They're not meant to go against each other like that. They're meant to compliment each other.

Since you believe the Book of Mormon's purpose is to "go against" the Bible, would you be willing to debate me on that subject -- just the two of us?
Id be interested in debating whether LDS doctrine along with what LDS "prophets" and J.Smith taught and believed is biblical.

jonny

Steve said:
Ok im Christian and do not believe your "prophet" was a genuine prophet. I believe he mislead people and taught alot that goes against the Bible, this is why i dont believe his book and the Bible should be regarded as complimenting each other.
How do you know that the Bible is right - or is it just faith?

Personally, I know that the Bible is the word of God because I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and both of them teach the same Gospel.

Status
Not open for further replies.