• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Some passages about Jesus being God

true blood

So much is said and done as the work of the Holy Spirit of God which are wholly different from anything recorded in the Word of God and yet religion maintains that they are truth. Reality, there is only confusion, and "God is not the author of confusion" stated in I Corinthians 14:33. One spirit is from God the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ. And the church in Corinth was specifically warned against "another spirit", a different spirit which they had not received according to II Corinthians 11:4. That says to us there is specificaly another spirit at work which would cause confusion and misdirection. Is not God Almighty one spirit?

Linus

I started a thread on this passage, but I'll restate it here in case anyone missed it.

From the three temptations of Jesus, after the second temptation:

Matthew 4:7 Jesus said to him [satan], " On the other hand, it is written, 'You shall not put the LORD your God to the test.' "

Any thoughts?

Linus

You stated that Jesus is not God. Why then, would Jesus use this quote in this situation?

jonny

Linus said:
So how does that relate to or fit with Jesus' use of the OT passage here?
I believe that Christ is the God of the Old Testament. He is also the Creator of our world.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
EnhancedSpirit said:
The bible also says that we were there from the beginning.
Hi, Spirit.

I realize you posted this statement quite some time ago, but I obviously must have missed it. This thread has resurfaced, though, and if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to explore this one thought in greater depth. Would you mind explaining exactly what you meant by this? Thanks!

Kathryn

Dentonz

I don't believe that any one can fully understand the trinity. But we were made in God's image so we are a trinity also. Body, mind, and spirit.
God the Father is God the whole being the beginning and end of all that is.
Jesus is the manifistation of the word of God. The Holy Spirit is the power of God. Jesus was a body of flesh(man). With the mind of God and power of the Holy Spirit. Just because we don't have the ability to manifest ourselves in different ways doesn't mean that the Allmighty can't.

Linus

Qumran said:
Would you please tell us what translation these quotes are from? That would be very helpful.
I can't remember what they are all from. The most recent passage (Matthew 4:7) is from the NASB. I'm pretty sure all of the pasages from the initial posts are from that version as well.

You can double check at www.biblegateway.com

Linus

Aqualung said:
Because he is our lord and god, since he is the one with direct "control," if you will, over us.
Now I'm afraid it is I who am lost. What do you mean by that? Are in supporting or opposing the suggestion that Jesus is God?

Aqualung

Tasty
Linus said:
Now I'm afraid it is I who am lost. What do you mean by that? Are in supporting or opposing the suggestion that Jesus is God?
Okay. Jesus is our God. It's like we're all teachers. And Jesus is the principle of the school. Jesus is the one who will judge us, and see if what we're doing is good, etc. And he can pretty much do that on his own. But God, our's and Jesus's father, is still there, like the superintendent of the school. He oversees Jesus. But nevertheless we answer to Jesus.

Does that make sense now?

Jenyar

Aqualung,

How do LDS reconcile Jesus' reference with their doctrine (where Jesus is just a god among gods)?

Here is the temptation where Satan tests Jesus:
Matt. 4:6-8
"If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:
" 'He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"
Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"​
Jesus quotes Deut. 6:16. Here it is in context (with the Shema that precedes it):
Deut. 6:4;15-17
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. ... Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you; for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land. Do not test the LORD your God as you did at Massah. Be sure to keep the commands of the LORD your God and the stipulations and decrees he has given you.​
If there ever was a clear identification of God the Father, Deut. 6 is it. The reference to Massah is equally relevant. How did the Israelites "test the Lord" there? Here is the account:
Ex. 17:5-7
The LORD answered Moses, "Walk on ahead of the people. Take with you some of the elders of Israel and take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. I will stand there before you by the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it for the people to drink." So Moses did this in the sight of the elders of Israel. And he called the place Massah and Meribah because the Israelites quarreled and because they tested the LORD saying, "Is the LORD among us or not?"
Remember what Jesus would be called, according to prophecy? Immanuel, "God with us" (Matt. 1:23). Jesus is the presence of the Father "with us": "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within [or among] you."

I'll summarize to make sure you understand my point: When Jesus is tested by Satan (who calls him "the Son of God"), Jesus trumps him by quoting a scripture about God the Father, in reference to himself. (Keep in mind that Jesus said it was his Father whom the Jews called their God, not himself: John 8:54). Jesus does not seem to think he is a god among gods - he is the only visible presence of the One God (Col 1:15), and that's why the same glory and honour is due to Him than to the Father (cf. Rev. 5:12-14). He is the Superintendent who became Principle.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Scott1 said:
OK.... but WHY?

What was he "right" about?

What's the point of following Jesus over, say.... any other philosophy?

You just happen to like Christ's better than those?

Thanks in advance for answering... we haven't had a ".001%" Christian like yourself around to chat with before.... this has been a great education if your beliefs... bless you for sharing with us!

Peace.... from the other 99.999% of us;) ,
Scott

must past furbals before giving them to scott again :clap

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
Ok If Jesus is not God manifested in the flesh..how would one answer here..

Isaiah 40:3 The voice of him that crieth out in the wilderness, prepare ye the way of our Lord, make straight in the dessert a highway for our God

now the fulfilment of this is John the baptist crying in the wilderness, but the question is who showed up ?..

pearl

Anyone? I'd love to hear what you all think.

Another list, where texts imply "God" was not intended to refer to Jesus

Acts 2:22 (Jesus a man attested by God
" 10:36 (God preached to Israel through Jesus
Mark 10:18 (No one is good but God alone
Mark 15:34, Mt 27:46 (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Jn 20:17 (I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God
Eph 1:17 (The God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory
Jn 17:3 (Eternal life consists in this; that they know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ
1Cor 8:6 (For us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exit, and the one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.
Eph 4:4-6 (One Spirit, one Lord, one God and Father of us all
1Tim 2:5 (For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
Jn 14:28 (The Father is greater than I
Mk13:32 Of that ay or that hour no one knows, only the Father
Phil2:5-10 (..that every tongue should confess that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of God the Father

There are not a few texts that could be interpreted either way.

And there are texts where there is no doubt that Jesus is referred to as God

Heb. 1:8-9 (The author says that God has spoken of Jesus His Son the words of Ps 45:6-7 "Your throne, O God is forever and ever and the righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore, O God, your God had anointed you with the oil of gladness...
Jn 1:1 (and the Word was God
Jn 20:28 (Thomas confession...My Lord and my God

Safe to say that the NT called Jesus God.

1 Peter 1:3-4
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you,

Here in this passage They are calling God the Almighty the Father and God of Jesus Christ.