• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Salvation

Baerly

The Lord appeared as a bright shining light (Acts 9:3). At this point the Lord tells Saul he is sinning. The Lord tells him he is persecuting the church while he persecutes Christians (9;4,5). Jesus is the head of the church and Christians are part of the church (Col 1:18) (Eph.1:22,23).

Jesus has not accepted Saul in his present state of sin (Isaiah 59:1,2). At this point Saul asks The Lord what Wilt thou have me to do?

Saul is asking what he needs to do about the sin in his life, just as those did in (Acts 2:37) asked what they needed to do about the sin of KILLING JESUS.

Notice Jesus does not tell Saul what to do to solve his sin problem. Jesus in fact tells him to go to Ananius and he would tell him what to do to be saved
(Acts 11:14 ; 22:16). Saul did not hear that gospel till he got to Ananius THREE DAYS after the Lord appeared to him on the road.. So it is IMPOSSIBLE for Saul to be saved on the road,because it is the gospel that saves (Rom. 1:16). Saul went to Ananius to hear that GOSPEL.

So the answere to Sauls sin problem was going to come from Ananius not the Lord. It also was something Saul had to do (9:6). Jesus said it MUST BE DONE. Ananius told Saul to 1. Arise, 2. Be Baptized, 3. Wash Away Your Sins, 4.Calling On The Name of the Lord.

The bible does not claim Saul was saved on the road to Damascus(Acts 9:6). Anyone who is teaching such a thing is going beyond what is written (1Cor.4:6) and adding to the word of God (Rev.22:18-19) (Deut.4:2).

We are to speak as the oracles of God (1Peter 4:11).

When we read (Acts 22:16) we learn that when Saul was baptized his sins was washed away (Acts 22:16). Remember this was THREE DAYS after the Lord appeared to Saul. Just something to think about. in love Baerly

writer

79 AS far as I know there is not a verse in the New Testament which says that a person believes into Christ. If I see one I will teach others about it. The only verse I know that tells us HOW TO GET INTO CHRIST is (Gal.3:27)
Since i both see, 'n there r, many; please lemme teach u about one. If i may.
Galatians 3:27:
osoigareivXristonebaptisqhte, Xristonenedusasqe, baptized into Him.
John 3:16:
Outwv gar hgaphsen o qeov ton kosmon, wste ton uion ton monogenh edwken, ina pav o pisteuwn eiv auton mh apolhtai all' exh zwhn aiwnion, believe into Him

80 all one must do to be saved is Believe,Is that correct?
Believe from all your heart, you'll be saved, Acts 8:37,'s correct.
But before, or in case, you don't believe that Baerly; please let me ask you another, or precedent, question about your question. What do you mean by "saved"?
Thanks

writer

sorry the Greek's without spaces. Computer took 'em away. I can try breakin between words again, if you'd like.
At least "eis [eiv]" is visible

Baerly

In The Parallel New Testament in Greek and English tranlated by Alfed Marshall the scripture (John 3:16) has the word IN for the word (Eis). That is a BIG difference. We must believe in Christ to be saved. But we Do not believe INTO Christ. That is NOT what (John 3:16) teaches or even says.

On the other Hand (Eis) in(Galations 3:27) is transalted INTO Christ. One is going from outside of Christ to inside CHRIST (or the church). Where the saved is located according to:

Jesus is the saviour of THE CHURCH (Eph.5:23). Not those CHURCHES.

Those who are baptized are baptized INTO THE BODY (OR CHURCH) (1Cor.12:13).

THE BODY and THE CHURCH are one in the SAME (COl.1:18) (EPH,1:22,23).

The Church belongs to Jesus since he bought it with his own blood (Acts 20:28).

The Saved are located IN THE CHURCH (or IN CHRIST) (2Tim2:10). Those who are saved have access to ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS (EPH.1:3). They are REDEEMED (Eph.1:7), They are not CONDEMNED (Rom.8:1), They are New Creatures in CHRIST (2Cor.5:17),They have ETERNAL LIFE (1John 5:11).

The Church of Christ (Romans 16:16).

An interlinear can do wonders for those who will study with them. My hat is off the Alfed Marshal and his studies. in love Baerly

writer

84 In The Parallel New Testament in Greek and English tranlated by Alfed Marshall the scripture (John 3:16) has the word IN for the word (Eis).
a) So?
b) Then why do u have "into" for eis (Gal 3:27)?

That is a BIG difference.
To the contrary, Baerly: eis is the same as eis

We must believe in Christ to be saved. But we Do not believe INTO Christ.
Pleze speak for yourself, if u would, Baerly. I both believe in, believe on, believe of, believe upon, and believe into Christ; and i have (thank Him)

That is NOT what (John 3:16) teaches or even says.
To the contrary: that's both what John 3:16 teaches and says. At least my translation

On the other Hand (Eis) in(Galations 3:27) is transalted INTO Christ.
On the same hand: eis is the identical Greek word in Gal 3:27 and John 3:16 (post 82). Maybe since u have your parallel NT out, you can c the Greek 'n c

One is going from outside of Christ to inside CHRIST (or the church).
Both can b, 'n both r

Jesus is the saviour of THE CHURCH (Eph.5:23). Not those CHURCHES.
To the contrary: the churches in the NT compose the church in the NT

Those who are baptized are baptized INTO THE BODY (OR CHURCH) (1Cor.12:13).
Doubtless

THE BODY and THE CHURCH are one in the SAME (COl.1:18) (EPH,1:22,23).
Amen

The Church belongs to Jesus since he bought it with his own blood (Acts 20:28).
Jesus is God since the blood is God's. And His church is Jesus, since she's His Body

The Saved are located IN THE CHURCH (or IN CHRIST) (2Tim2:10). Those who are saved have access to ALL SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS (EPH.1:3). They are REDEEMED (Eph.1:7), They are not CONDEMNED (Rom.8:1), They are New Creatures in CHRIST (2Cor.5:17),They have ETERNAL LIFE (1John 5:11).
Like John in 3:16 wrote Jesus spoke: Whoever believes into Him would have eternal life.
And enter into eternal life. Like John wrote Jesus the Lord spoke in 5:24:
Truly, truly, I say to you, He who hears My word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come into judgment but has passed out of death into life

The Church of Christ (Romans 16:16).
Thank the Lord 'churches of Christ' (Rm 16:16) isn't denominational title. But a fact. As is 'churches of God' (1 Cor 11:16), 'the churches' (Rv 22:16), 'churches of Galatia' (Gal 1:2), 'churches of Asia' (1 Cor 16:19), 'My church' (Mt 16:18), 'every church' (Ac 14:23), 'His Body, the church' (Col 1:18)

An interlinear can do wonders for those who will study with them.
That what made me hope u'd notice the resemblance between "eis" and "eis."
Yours,
w

Baerly

Baptism "For The Remission Of Sins"

February 27, 2005 by Mike Riley - Mike Riley's Blog
In the religious world today there is much controversy over the subject of baptism. Some believe it is necessary to obedience and one may not refuse to submit, but it is not essential to our becoming a child of God. Others believe it is not necessary at all while others believe it is a prerequisite in becoming a Christian.
What Do The Scriptures Say?
Peter was asked by the those assembled on Pentecost, "What should we do?" (Acts 2:37). He replied, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38). The expression, "for the remission of sins" is literally "into (to, unto, with a view to) the remission of sins." Also note that inspiration puts (1) repent and (2) baptism before (3) "remission of sins."
Argument Over The Word "For"
Some in the religious world argue that the word "for" before "remission of sins" is translated from the Greek word "eis" and means "because of." In other words, one is to repent and be baptized "because" his sins have already been forgiven.
First, that would be a strange interpretation putting repentance after one becomes a Christian rather than before. Can one be saved without repentance (Luke 13:3,5; Luke 24:47; Acts 17:30-31)? Secondly, it is also interesting that Jesus himself tied baptism with belief (faith) in Mark 16:16. He also put "saved" after both belief and baptism. If one is saved before repentance and baptism, then the same would hold true of belief (faith) in Mark 16:16. Is one saved before he believes that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God?
The Greek Expression "Eis" And A Similar Passage
Does the Greek expression "eis", rendered "for" in Acts 2:38 mean "because of?" If the expression means one is already saved before he repents and is baptized, it would have that meaning in other passages where it is used. If it does not mean that in other passages, it cannot mean that in Acts 2:38.
When Jesus instituted His supper, he stated in the latter part of Matthew 26:28, "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." Who will argue that we are saved before Jesus shed his blood (Hebrews 9:22)? If the expression, "for the remission of sins" means one is saved before what is described prior to the expression in Acts 2:38, then that interpretation must also apply in Matthew 26:28. It would make Jesus saying His blood was shed for many because their sins were already forgiven. Just think, you and I were saved before Jesus shed His blood! If we were, then we were saved by something other than the blood of Jesus!
Conclusion
If the phrase "for the remission of sins" in Matthew 26:28 means Jesus' blood was shed "in order" that you and I might receive the remission of our sins, then the same expression in Acts 2:38 means you and I repent and are baptized "in order" to receive the remission of sins.

Baerly

Dec 10, 2004 6:56 pm Post subject: Greek word Eis I just wanted to add to the excellent answer given in the "Bible Answers" section of the forum that the Greek word "Eis" could be contrastes with the Greek word "Gar" found translated as "for" in the very next verse, Acts 2:39. The word "Gar," according to Thayers Greek Definitions actually means "because of" as opposed to "Eis" which means "unto." I think that Acts 2:38 could say "...baptized so that you may receive remission from sins" (Eis), while many denominations want it to read "...baptized because of (gar) the remission of sins.."

From thepreachersfiles.com Forum.

Baerly writes, I found this very interesting.

Baerly

I am not a scholar. I am just trying to learn more about the bible.

I hope to only speak as the oracles of God (1Peter 4:11).

I am actually very glad God made the gospel so ordinary people could understand it, or I would be in trouble. ---In love Baerly (1Cor.4:6)

Baerly

My friend WRITER,you telling me you do not believe the New Testament scripture (1Cor.12:13) when it says We are all baptized INTO ONE BODY (or the church).

(Eph,1:2,23) and (Col.1:18) tells us what the Body is,it is the CHURCH.

Which translation are you using for (John 3:16)? Where it says believe into Christ.

If eis means INTO in both (John 3:16) and (Gal.3:27). Wouldn't that mean we were put into Christ and then put into Christ again? How could that be? If (John 3:16) put us INTO CHRIST,Why do we have to be PUT INTO CHRIST again when we come to (GAL.3:27)?

(Rom.16:16) is refering to the same church in different cities. The church of Christ in Ephesus,in Corinth,in Rome,in Galatia,etc. At that time there were no denominations to even count. I just want to be a part of that church in the first century that Jesus built (Mt.16:18).

Please show me where we pass from death to life when you refered to (John 5:24)?

Myself, I think it is when those in Rome obeyed the gospel found in (Rom.6:3-6, 17,18). (vs) 3,4 talks about burying and death. We bury dead people don't we? Notice we also come in contact with the death of Jesus also at this time.This is where we come in contact with the blood of Jesus (Eph.1:7).But notice the end of (Rom.6:4) we rise up to walk in NEWness of life. This scripture tells us when a person goes from death to life. that is what (2Cor.5:17) also tells us about. It is ONLY when we are put INTO CHRIST that we become NEW CREATURES.
(Romans 6:3-6) describes that process very well.------ in love Baerly

writer

89 you telling me you do not believe the New Testament scripture (1Cor.12:13) when it says We are all baptized INTO ONE BODY (or the church).
No. I'm not telling u that

Which translation are you using for (John 3:16)? Where it says believe into Christ.
Recovery Versison

If eis means INTO in both (John 3:16) and (Gal.3:27). Wouldn't that mean we were put into Christ and then put into Christ again?
Yes. Put into more

How could that be?
Cuz the Bible says so

If (John 3:16) put us INTO CHRIST,Why do we have to be PUT INTO CHRIST again when we come to (GAL.3:27)?
Cuz the Lord Jesus says believe and be baptized

(Rom.16:16) is refering to the same church in different cities.
To the contrary: Rm 16:16 reads "churches." Plural. Hence your statement isn't directly

I just want to be a part of that church in the first century that Jesus built (Mt.16:18).
If you're born anew: u r. Spiritually. If you'd like to be practically: then i recommend u ask Christ the Lord

Please show me where we pass from death to life when you refered to (John 5:24)?
Pleze read 3rd paragraph from the end post 85. Or your NT

I think it is when those in Rome obeyed the gospel found in (Rom.6:3-6, 17,18).
To believe = to obey (obedience of faith, Rm 1:5. Post 57 2nd to last para)

We bury dead people don't we?
Yes

we also come in contact with the death of Jesus also at this time.
One should

This is where we come in contact with the blood of Jesus (Eph.1:7).
One can and should

the end of (Rom.6:4) we rise up to walk in NEWness of life.
One both can and should

This scripture tells us when a person goes from death to life.
It duz. And a person can.

that is what (2Cor.5:17) also tells us about. It is ONLY when we are put INTO CHRIST that we become NEW CREATURES.
Amen

(Romans 6:3-6) describes that process very well.
As does the rest of the NT. Additionally: renewing takes place, or should, throughout a believer's life. Since Christ is ever new. Eph 4:23

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Baerly said:
My friend it is not I that has a problem understanding the scriptures found in the bible. Please notice what (Eph.2:16) teaches us. Jesus has reconciled BOTH (Jew & Gentile) unto God IN ONE BODY (the church). We also learn that the church is the body in (Col.1:18) & (Eph.1:22,23). We also learn that when were baptized in water were are baptized into that one body or church in (1Cor.12:13).Please notice Jesus will only save that one church he died to purchase according to (Eph.5:23) & (Acts 20:28).I want to be part of that one church Jesus will save (Eph.5:23).

(Eph.5:23-32) teaches us Jesus has only one church and he is going to only save It,A Glorious Church,Her,The Church. This scripture teaches he will save only one church not many. In love Baerly

And, pray tell, why are you talking about more than one church? We are all part of the one Church mentioned in Eph.

sojourner

Baerly said:
Writer, So you claim all one must do to be saved is Believe,Is that correct? Baerly
Must do? we must do nothing -- we can do nothing to be saved. That statement (and, I believe, the thrust of your entire argument) contraindicates the value and efficacy of God's grace. It makes salvation a trophy to be won, instead of a gift that is given. This is the simplicity that the scriptures talk about.

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
It makes salvation a trophy to be won, instead of a gift that is given.

Yes - which is why evangelicals see salvation as a possession that can be stored or lost.

sojourner

angellous_evangellous said:
Yes - which is why evangelicals see salvation as a possession that can be stored or lost.

I'd frubal you for that little gem... :eyes glaze over: "must--spread--karma...":chicken:

Baerly

sojourner said:
And, pray tell, why are you talking about more than one church? We are all part of the one Church mentioned in Eph.

Most of the time when a person from denominations say we are all a part of the one church,they mean the Baptist church,Methodist Church,Pentecostal Church,and on down the line till we have mentioned some over 300 denominations. But they are not the same church among themselves,they each teach diffrent doctrines,they do not worship together as one church,they do not worship in the SAME WAY. With all these diffrences they continue to say we are all alike and apart of the same church.Jesus said a house divided against itself shall not stand (Mt.12:25).

Keeping this in mind (all the differnces) one might wonder if they each are following the head of the church (CHRIST) as (Col.1:18) and (Eph.1:22,23) and
(John 10:27) says too, WHY are there so many DIFFERENT CHURCHES. Especially when the bible plainly states we are to walk by the SAME RULE (Phil.3:16) and we are to speak the same thing (1Cor.1:8-10). WE are to have the SAME MIND of CHRIST (Phil.2:5).That rule is the New Testament,the last will of our Lord (1Cor.14:37) (Mt.19:17) (Heb.5:8,9).

WE (MUST) worship in spirit and truth (John 4:24) to be pleasing to the Lord (1Thess.4:1). In spirit means the right attitude and in truth means by the commandments of God (John 17:17) (John 14:15,21 ; 15:10). People today are worshipping in many diffrent ways and doing things that are not even found in the scriptures.

If Jesus is the Head of the CHURCH and he is (Col.1:18) and the body makes up the church (individual members),the way it is supposed to work is that the head tells the body what to do. The body should ONLY DO what the head tells it to do.
(If) the head is leading all these denominations,WHY are they worshipping in so many different ways? And who DECIDED it was OK?

On top of all that they add to the word of God with their CREEDS BOOKS, which actually opposes the word of God (1Cor.4:6) (Rev.22:18,19) (Deut.4:2),THEN they ALL claim to be the ONE TRUE CHURCH following the HEAD (JESUS). Either Jesus did not give the instructions well enough or alot of people are worshipping and teaching the way they want (Rom.10:1-3). ALL these different churches cannot even agree how to get INTO the Lords Church. How does one explain all this? (John 17:21) says that we are to all be one (UNIFIED BY TRUTH) and that by this all the world will know that God sent Jesus.

Jesus said you are my friend IF YOU DO MY COMMANDMENTS and you abide in my love if you keep my commandments (John 15:10,14).If we turn from the Commandments of Jesus we end up lost spiritually according to (2Peter 2:21).--------------------in love Baerly

Baerly

sojourner said:
Must do? we must do nothing -- we can do nothing to be saved. That statement (and, I believe, the thrust of your entire argument) contraindicates the value and efficacy of God's grace. It makes salvation a trophy to be won, instead of a gift that is given. This is the simplicity that the scriptures talk about.

Those who crucified Jesus were told they had sinned (Acts 2:36).

Those who were concerned about the in problem cried out and ask the apostle Peter what shall we do? Peter told them what they needed to do to remedy the sin problem in (Acts 2:38). Peter told them to REPENT AND BE BAPTIZED FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS (ACTS 2:38). Those that obeyed those words of Peter were ADDED to the church by the LORD (Acts 2:47). They baptized 3000 people in one day,they did not put it off til a week or a month later.

(Acts 8:5 )Philip preached Jesus to Samaritans. In (vs)12 When they believed the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus THEY WERE BAPTIZED.How did they know about baptism? Philip had to teach them when he preached about Jesus.

Then the Ethiopian eunich was taught about Jesus (Acts 8:35). The very next verse says the Eunich sees CERTAIN WATER (enough water to be buried in) and asked about being baptized himself. After making a confession (8:37),the eunich was baptized in (8:38-39). Please notice that the eunich did not REJOICE till AFTER water baoptism (8:39). The eunich understood what was taught In (Mark 16:16)
Believe + Baptism = Saved. The eunich also understood what the apostle Paul had been taught in (Acts 22:16) ,1.Arise ,2. Be Batized, 3. Wash Away Your Sins ,4.Calling On The Name Of The Lord. Please notice Paul was baptized in water just like the eunich before his sins was washed away. Remember Jesus told the apostle Paul what he MUST DO about the sin problem (Acts 9:6).

To have sins forgiven we must be baptized in water:

Acts 3:19 -- Repent + Be Converted = that your sins may be Blotted out

Acts 2:38 -- Repent + Be Baptized = For the remission of sins

From these verses it is clear we must do something to have our sins remitted.

Baerly

There is a very good example of Naaman having leprosy and wanting to be cleansed of this terrible disease found in (2Kings 5).

(Rom.15:4) tells us those things written afore time was for our learning. We learn there is a parallel between Naaman the leper and people today with the sin problem.

To be cleansed Naaman had to go to a certain place,he had to get in a certain substance (water),he had to follow the instructions of the prophet precisely in order to be cleansed of leprosy.

Today instructions are given to us for the sin problem. Many like Naaman will get upset and reject the sloution to the sin problem (2Kings 5:11,12). It is my prayer that if your one of those people who reject the N.T. plan of salvation (Baptism for remission of sins) that you have a good friend like Naaman had. Naaman had a friend who talked him into obeying the prophet (2Kings 5;13). In fact, Naaman was already headed home still suffering from leprosy and he had a good friend who convinced him to submit to the will of God. It is all a matter of PRIDE. The instructions are very clear,still many reject the gospel call. Naaman was not cleansed of the disaes till he obeyed the prophet (vs) 14. God is still using water baptism to cleanse people.Today it is the point which the blood of Jesus wahses our sins away (Eph.1:7) (Rom.6:3-6,16-18) (Gal.3:27).

Baptism SAVES according to (1Peter 3:21).

Bel + Bapt = saved (Mk16:16)

1Arise

2.Be Baptized

3,Wash Away Your Sins

4. Calling on the name of the Lord

When we obey the Lord, we are calling on his name.

Whatsoever ye do in word or deed,do all in the name of the Lord (Col.3:17). We obey this verse by doing ONLY what is authorized by the Lord.

I know many have been taught man cannot do anything to be saved,but that is contrary to what the scriptures teach.I just ask that you check it out (John 5:39) (Acts 17:11).

I am not advocating we can be saved by WORKS ALONE.

I am saying the N.T. plan has something for man to do to participate in the plan of salvation (Heb.5:8,9) (Acts 10:34-35).

Please check it out. love Baerly

sojourner

Most of the time when a person from denominations say we are all a part of the one church,they mean the Baptist church,Methodist Church,Pentecostal Church,and on down the line till we have mentioned some over 300 denominations. But they are not the same church among themselves,they each teach diffrent doctrines,they do not worship together as one church,they do not worship in the SAME WAY. With all these diffrences they continue to say we are all alike and apart of the same church.Jesus said a house divided against itself shall not stand (Mt.12:25).

Keeping this in mind (all the differnces) one might wonder if they each are following the head of the church (CHRIST) as (Col.1:18) and (Eph.1:22,23) and
(John 10:27) says too, WHY are there so many DIFFERENT CHURCHES. Especially when the bible plainly states we are to walk by the SAME RULE (Phil.3:16) and we are to speak the same thing (1Cor.1:8-10). WE are to have the SAME MIND of CHRIST (Phil.2:5).That rule is the New Testament,the last will of our Lord (1Cor.14:37) (Mt.19:17) (Heb.5:8,9).

Neither did the early Church...until they were united under the bishops that became the leaders of the Roman Church and the Eastern Church. But that has no bearing upon whether they were "not the same Church among themselves."

By and large, the churches that celebrate the Eucharist at least weekly find in that celebration the glue that makes the Church one. The Eucharist has always bound the Church together, and has been the expression of that unity. Even in differences of local practice, or cultural norm, the Church has always been one -- and will continue to be.

One might wonder. But wondering on the part of one does not make it true. Each group does follow the teachings of Jesus, as each interprets those teachings.

John 10:27 says nothing about "why are there so many different churches?" It's talking about how Jesus' followers know him, and he knows them. I certainly know Jesus, and so do you...yet you and I are from "different" groups. Since we both follow Jesus, are we not really part of the same "sheep fold?" I'm just eating grass from a different area of the pen than you."

Neither of the Philippians references talk about doctrine. 2:5 talks about having the same mind as Christ -- that mind being one of humility. 3:16 speaks of having already attained reconciliation with God, and living up to that state of being (as I've mentioned before.) That's the "rule" mentioned in 3:16. That's also the "rule" of the NT -- that we have attained reconciliation.