• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian repression of science

Was the pre-Enlightenment Church systematically anti-science?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
Despite there vast majority of historians of science considering this perspective to have been throughly discredited, among many here, particularly atheists, it is almost a truism that the pre-Enlightenment Church was systematically and dogmatically 'anti-science', persecuted and killed numerous scientists and destroyed reams of ancient philosophical writings. The result of this was the retardation of progress as the knowledge of the ancient Greeks was forgotten until its rediscovery lead to the Renaissance and later the Enlightenment which managed to emerge despite the hostility of the Church.

I'm interested in how many people roughly agree with this perspective? If so, what do you consider the supporting evidence to be?

Bonus question: Which scientists were killed or persecuted specifically for their scientific views?

[Probably shouldn't have put this in debates as I'm more interested in reading people's opinions than debating them]

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To a large extent, I say "yes" to the OP, but the history of that era is not monolithic by any means.

David T

Premium Member
Despite there vast majority of historians of science considering this perspective to have been throughly discredited, among many here, particularly atheists, it is almost a truism that the pre-Enlightenment Church was systematically and dogmatically 'anti-science', persecuted and killed numerous scientists and destroyed reams of ancient philosophical writings. The result of this was the retardation of progress as the knowledge of the ancient Greeks was forgotten until its rediscovery lead to the Renaissance and later the Enlightenment which managed to emerge despite the hostility of the Church.

I'm interested in how many people roughly agree with this perspective? If so, what do you consider the supporting evidence to be?

Bonus question: Which scientists were killed or persecuted specifically for their scientific views?

[Probably shouldn't have put this in debates as I'm more interested in reading people's opinions than debating them]
It's complex and very tied into politics.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its a question for historians. I can tell you what I learned from a historian, but I'm just regurgitating. It is thought that the church fostered technology better than previous cultures since it viewed nature as good. When clocks or mills were invented by a Catholic monk they went into use, but in other cultures they were viewed as a threat. On the other hand Europe operated for a long time under systems of patronage, and patronage was a discovery killer. This affected the church and all kinds of potential progress.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I said 'no', but this is mostly because of the later church (after, say, 1000AD) instead of the early church (say, up to 700AD).

The *later* church had a number of people (Bradwardine, Oresme, etc) that were quite interested and innovative when it comes to 'science'. At that time, it wasn't particularly experimental or observational, but the ideas concerning inertia, and the attempts to 'keep appearances' in astronomy were crucial for later developments. Even at the time of Galileo, the church was quite happy to debate alternative explanations (not typically admitted, I must say).

On the other hand, the *early* church was quite nasty to the Greek sciences because of their association with paganism. The closing of the library of Alexandria, the closing of the schools of philosophy, the rejection of 'pagan' learning, were all pointed at a rejection of the science of the day.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
He was killed for suggesting that many worlds.

Not quite. He was killed for his theology about those many worlds. It wasn't the science. It was the theology. Now, I'm not claiming that was a *legitimate* reason to kill him, but it wasn't for his scientific views that he died.

What criteria would you use for "scientist" in an era before modern science... even before Francis Bacon?

And that is an issue. Natural philosopher would be a natural working definition. Again, Bruno didn't come to his position based on natural philosophy. And there were many such philosophers investigating things like the concept of a vacuum, the concept of inertia, the questions of motion, etc. While they were mostly *wrong*, they were supported by the church and were allowed a fair amount of autonomy in their thoughts.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My prediction of how this thread will go; @Augustus - correct me if I'm wrong:

Only people working in academia will meet the bar of being a "scientist." However, since we're mainly talking about an era when academia wad controlled by churches, what you're really asking for is someone who:

- had enough standing with the religious authorities to get a position as professor or whatnot,

- wrote papers that were orthodox enough to get an imprimatur in a society where publishing was censored by the religious authorities, but also

- at the same time, was so hated and disseminated such anti-orthodox views that he was executed or otherwise persecuted for them

Augustus: is this the sort of person you're looking for?

My prediction of how this thread will go; @Augustus - correct me if I'm wrong:

Only people working in academia will meet the bar of being a "scientist." However, since we're mainly talking about an era when academia wad controlled by churches, what you're really asking for is someone who:

- had enough standing with the religious authorities to get a position as professor or whatnot,

- wrote papers that were orthodox enough to get an imprimatur in a society where publishing was censored by the religious authorities, but also

- at the same time, was so hated and disseminated such anti-orthodox views that he was executed or otherwise persecuted for them

Augustus: is this the sort of person you're looking for?

No. Anyone who can reasonably be considered to have been a natural philosopher/'scientist' within a fairly standard definition of the term will do.

As far as I am aware, there are no records of people being killed for such views (some for theology though). Even finding those who have been persecuted is surprisingly difficult.

Want to see if anyone else can help in this regard.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe the church thought it was acting on behalf its authority and beliefs. That which ran counter was apt to run into ecclesiastical opposition. So for that reason I believe it was not simply a pogrom against science.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I said 'no', but this is mostly because of the later church (after, say, 1000AD) instead of the early church (say, up to 700AD).

The *later* church had a number of people (Bradwardine, Oresme, etc) that were quite interested and innovative when it comes to 'science'. At that time, it wasn't particularly experimental or observational, but the ideas concerning inertia, and the attempts to 'keep appearances' in astronomy were crucial for later developments. Even at the time of Galileo, the church was quite happy to debate alternative explanations (not typically admitted, I must say).

On the other hand, the *early* church was quite nasty to the Greek sciences because of their association with paganism. The closing of the library of Alexandria, the closing of the schools of philosophy, the rejection of 'pagan' learning, were all pointed at a rejection of the science of the day.

I believe you will have to admit though that it was paganism that was being attacked and not science itself.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

'Nature is the executor of God's laws' Galileo.

I think a better argument can be made that atheism v science has been the far greater conflict; there are many anecdotes, but fundamentally a materialist conclusion inherently seeks to 'close the book' with the simplest, easiest God-refuting hypothesis at hand.

'God asks more questions than it answers' is a common complaint- as was the case for quantum mechanics and the Big Bang

A theistic conclusion has no ideological resistance to looking ever deeper and farther, finding yet another layer of complexity, sophistication in creation to explore and appreciate