• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Practical Application of Scripture

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
A less religious, and more practical viewing and application of the written text might lend itself to a better understanding, or ... it may not. What is your stance as a Christian and do you think worldy and practical applications might be more beneficial?

Why or why not?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What changed since the times of Jesus Christ?
Nothing. Back then, there were bossy and merciless people who ruled the roost.
And that Jesus Christ called the wicked.
Today there still are the same kind of people who have the economic and political power to bring peace and justice, yet they won't do it.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
What changed since the times of Jesus Christ?
Nothing. Back then, there were bossy and merciless people who ruled the roost.
And that Jesus Christ called the wicked.
Today there still are the same kind of people who have the economic and political power to bring peace and justice, yet they won't do it.

The same or similar types of people are still preset, the same or similar reactions to varying types of people are still part of life, and people still find people like Jesus unsettling and vice versa. Do you think power plays and power players might be the most prevelant issue or maybe people just want or demand more justice ... as in more just treatment?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The same or similar types of people are still preset, the same or similar reactions to varying types of people are still part of life, and people still find people like Jesus unsettling and vice versa. Do you think power plays and power players might be the most prevelant issue or maybe people just want or demand more justice ... as in more just treatment?

Whenever I read the four Gospels, and Jesus' teachings, in particular, they show me in the clearest way possible, how easy it is to make justice on Earth. They reveal justice is doable.
The future is in men's hands. History is in men's hands.

pearl

Whenever I read the four Gospels, and Jesus' teachings, in particular, they show me in the clearest way possible, how easy it is to make justice on Earth.

Problem is relating those 1st cent teachings with the 21st cent. questions, unheard of in Jesus' time.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Whenever I read the four Gospels, and Jesus' teachings, in particular, they show me in the clearest way possible, how easy it is to make justice on Earth. They reveal justice is doable.
The future is in men's hands. History is in men's hands.

We aren't unaccustomed to perverting the ways of - This much is evident. A sense of justice and the applications of justice differ from person to person, from culture to culture also. I'll agree that we play a major role in how things are handled, but I don't think it's an easy thing. Things get skewed in life and I'm not sure it's as simple as following or adhering to bibical principles alone. I may be wrong, but history has a way of shining a light on things.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We aren't unaccustomed to perverting the ways of - This much is evident. A sense of justice and the applications of justice differ from person to person, from culture to culture also. I'll agree that we play a major role in how things are handled, but I don't think it's an easy thing. Things get skewed in life and I'm not sure it's as simple as following or adhering to bibical principles alone. I may be wrong, but history has a way of shining a light on things.

I don't think so.
Justice is an universal concept.
To me it means that each person deserves happiness, and happiness is achieved through cooperation instead of competition.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Problem is relating those 1st cent teachings with the 21st cent. questions, unheard of in Jesus' time.
Nothing has changed.
Those who get richer and richer at cost of the neighbor's poverty will end up like the rich man in the parable of Lazarus.
Despite all the attempts to distort, switch and ignore the content of Jesus' parables.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
A less religious, and more practical viewing and application of the written text might lend itself to a better understanding, or ... it may not. What is your stance as a Christian and do you think worldy and practical applications might be more beneficial?

Why or why not?
If we're just sitting here treating Christianity as an intellectual exercise and not as a means of struggle against our own sins and towards the reconciliation of people to themselves, to each other and to God, we're doing it extremely wrong. Faith without works is dead. A lamp hidden under a basket cannot be seen. Salt that loses its flavor is worthless. Be perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect. May we be one, as Christ and the Father are one.

Ephesians 4:25-32 applies to us as much as it did to the first-century Ephesians.

Poverty, iignorance, injustice, hatred, envy, strife, jealousy and despair are just as common to our time as to back then, and we have just as much a mandate to follow our Lord's example to bring healing and justice and salvation to those around us.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The rich don't acquire wealth without us who chose to buy into it. There's always a product to be sold and a buyer who buys it.
There are the wealthy who have a power acquired by divine right, and is called Banking Seigniorage.
Nothing is sold or bought. Money is printed and lent.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
If we're just sitting here treating Christianity as an intellectual exercise and not as a means of struggle against our own sins and towards the reconciliation of people to themselves, to each other and to God, we're doing it extremely wrong. Faith without works is dead. A lamp hidden under a basket cannot be seen. Salt that loses its flavor is worthless. Be perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect. May we be one, as Christ and the Father are one.

Ephesians 4:25-32 applies to us as much as it did to the first-century Ephesians.

Poverty, iignorance, injustice, hatred, envy, strife, jealousy and despair are just as common to our time as to back then, and we have just as much a mandate to follow our Lord's example to bring healing and justice and salvation to those around us.

Intellect and understanding go hand in hand, and I think wisdom follows this principle. Hosea 4:6 rings a bell. Faith? Well, if it has substance then I'm all for it, but without substance working to build it, I don't find it as appealing. Evidence follows substance as evidence, but the dead type of faith is barren un fruitful, and blind. Works likewise follow 1st principle. That's part of understanding fruitful works, good ground to grow on stuff - intellect and understanding.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I don't think so.
Justice is an universal concept.
To me it means that each person deserves happiness, and happiness is achieved through cooperation instead of competition.

Cooperation is great until the food and shelter sources get depleted, then it becomes a bit of a liability when too many are present and not enough of the aforementioned necessities.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Cooperation is great until the food and shelter sources get depleted, then it becomes a bit of a liability when too many are present and not enough of the aforementioned necessities.
That's a very good point. But I think that the sense of community implies responsibility, and so the awareness we live on a finite planet with limited resources.
The Apostles' community was just an example of what can be done on a large scale.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Intellect and understanding go hand in hand, and I think wisdom follows this principle. Hosea 4:6 rings a bell. Faith? Well, if it has substance then I'm all for it, but without substance working to build it, I don't find it as appealing. Evidence follows substance as evidence, but the dead type of faith is barren un fruitful, and blind. Works likewise follow 1st principle. That's part of understanding fruitful works, good ground to grow on stuff - intellect and understanding.
The knowledge that is spoken of here is knowledge of God and what is good and just. Hosea 4:1-10 makes this clear; the people are destroyed because they don't know God or His commandments. One doesn't have to have a great intellect to follow Christ; He picked fishermen among others to follow Him, after all, and many Saints were fools for Christ or otherwise humble and unlearned people. 1 Corinthians 1:27 is also relevant. The wise and scholarly have their place, like Sts. Nicodemus and Paul and all the Church
Fathers, but we don't all have to have their intellect (and thank God!)

It bears in mind that "faith" here doesn't mean "intellectual belief" or "blind acceptance without evidence, but rather, faithfulness and loyalty and trust. We show our faithfulness and loyalty to Christ by obeying His commandments and trusting in His mercy and help, not in what the world offers.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
The knowledge that is spoken of here is knowledge of God and what is good and just. Hosea 4:1-10 makes this clear; the people are destroyed because they don't know God or His commandments.

It bears in mind that "faith" here doesn't mean "intellectual belief" or "blind acceptance without evidence, but rather, faithfulness and loyalty to do what Christ commands of us, trusting in His mercy and help and not what the world can offer us.

Coming from an in God we live and move and have our being point of refrence, I'll agree. Life is difficult. It helps to understand how to navigate effectively. Faith with substance implies some evedence to its validity and helps strengthen resolve and secures faithfulness and confidence. Knowing how to start a fire and maintain one or how to purify water, etc and knowing and/or understang the business ends of love, likewise helps to secure us. Panic and fear, and uncertainty are products of inability or lack of understanding.

Practical things tried and true tend to be applications of faith and ongoing faithfulness.