• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Mystic Wants to Learn About Chakras

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
Amrut,
Thanks for posting this.
I thought that Kundalini would have to move upward from the base of the spine and that you would not feel this in the crown chakra for example unless it has already moved upward.

Maya

Namaste Maya,

Feeling of energy in any chakra or any part of body does not mean that kundalini is activated and has risen upwards upto that chakra. When kundalini rises upwards and if one is following yoga (i.e. the meditator regularly deals with energy) then one gets to know via vision or feeling like Sri Ramakrishna did.

Either you feel the whole spine is like bright tube light or you feel something creeping upwards from lower part of spine or any other kind of vision which is symbolic in nature which only Guru can decode.

Activating chakra can be done by being aware of it, physically touching it or by increasing the psychological function that it handles. Each chakra is connected with physiological and psychological function.

e.g. Heart chakra (anAhat chakra) is connected higher or divine emotions. It also controls thymus gland and physical heart.

Heart Chakra is activated by thinking of pleasant moments or when the emotion of surrender is cultivated in heart. If there thymus gland or heart is not functioning properly, then too heart is either over activated or depleted i.e. underactivated due to imbalance in energy.

Yogi-s can see this imbalance in energy. Some can even see the imbalance in 5 prANa-s and vAta, pitta and kapha. They would either directly pass divine energy or concentrate it in any eating material like leaf and give it to the patient. When the patient eats it, the energies in the leaf enter the aura and neutralizes the imbalance. This is also the reason why one gets blessings from a Yogi. There is spiritual aspect, but they are capable of healing people (which of course depends upon their own development)

Before kundalini can be activated, chakras, energy body (prANamaya koSa), iDA, pingalA and suShumNA are to be cleansed. They have to be pure upto a certain degree so that when kundalini is activated a yogi can bear it, else there will be a lots of problems if body is impure. Any kind of vyasana (bad habit) like drinking smoking eating non-veg, etc makes body impure, as when an animal is killed, it knows it is going to die and so tries hard to escape death. It also suffers pain of torture and separation of soul from body due to unnatural death. All these emotions are embedded in the energy body of the animal. When one eats such emotionally and mentally diseased body, such emotions gets transferred to the eater and the body becomes impure which is not advisable. Hence it is advised to become veg.

Similarly bhakti and vedic karma kANDa helps purify our chakras and energy body and also the mental body (all 5 bodies). When certain purity is attained, violent mental reactions and other lower emotions like hatred, revenge, etc are subdued and divine thoughts and higher emotions like love, compassion, peace,etc are cultivated. Hence sattva guNa increases. When sufficient percentage of sattva guNa sustains in the body that is necessary to live a spiritual life, then one turns to advaita vedAnta or a yogi practises intense meditations on brahman with raising kundalini and uniting shakti (kudalini) with Siva (brahman)

Practising under an enlightened Yogi is a must if one wishes to activate kundalini or even play with chakras. Having an experience of kundalini or chakra activation is another thing and can happen to anyone, but one should not try to expect it on daily basis. It just happens on it's own :) It is not necessary that all meditators who do not practice kundalini yoga have kundalini related experiences.

In my experience it is hard to feel it in the lower chakras, but it moves upward from the third chakra easily.
Or have I misunderstood?

It depends upon your evolution of consciousness, but it's not kundalini. Feeling of energy or tingling sensation or pressure or heat, etc does not mean it is kundalini Generally, face is very sensitive as all five indriyA-s (5 senses) are present on face. One often uses 3rd eye, but not many feel heart, and lower chakra-s. Upper part of body is more sensitive then lower part but if you try to be aware if them, you may feel them. When we feel cold, we try to cover our head, face, ears and chest, but not legs. Generally, one wears a cap and a sweater / windcheater / jacket but not woollen pants :)

OM

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you, Amrut, for adding to this thread. I hope your words are beneficial to the OP. You helped me realise what I was trying to say, and added to my understanding as well.

In very basic terms, it's like the old story of the tortoise and the hare. Traditional Hindus are the tortoise, not the hare. They want stability ... financial, emotional, in bhakti etc. One of the reasons there is no hurry is our actual convinced belief in reincarnation. We see ourselves as the soul, going along evolving from lifetime to lifetime. There absolutely is no hurry. Some schools in the west, with regard to kundalini, chakras, etc. are far more like the hare... running after excitement. And yes it must be exciting to sit in a room full of people having all these kriyas, twisting and turning, etc. But some of that need for excitement is because of the one-life belief. Got to get it all in ... and fast, cause this is my only chance.

There is a huge difference between visiting a city and living in a city. The goal is to get awareness in and around the chakras, in order. That is the nature of kundalini rising. It can jump temporarily, but isn't able to stay there permanently. A person living in the manipura chakra, for example, has great will. They are the movers and shakers. They overcome obstacles, they get things done when they say they will. They CANT procrastinate. It's all right in their being. Very different from someone who has read about the chakras, and can talk about this and that. I've seen two people in my life that stood out like that. One was asked by the teacher to quit smoking, and the other was asked to shower once a day. That was the last time either one of them saw the teacher. They couldn't do this manipura chakra stuff, hence proving to everyone but themselves that they weren't living anywhere near where they claimed to be living.

Another thing I see is anger. Well.... that one speaks for itself. If you're still prone to anger, you haven't reached the muladara. It's really that simple. You may have been there temporarily, yes, but that's not the goal.

Thanks again.

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
I agree Vinayaka ji,

The key is to raise the consciousness and sustain it. Occasional spikes (rise in consciousness or expansion of consciousness as they say) are just pointers as they give glimpse of something very divine that we had never experienced.

Anger is present, but if there is more of sattva guNa, then it lasts only for few minutes after incident is over. Anger is more like a fire which can be used for positive i.e. constructive or destructive purpose. A fire can cook food (thereby giving us life) and burn us to death. Similarly the direction of anger is important. 'Why' is more important. It is the reason, the intention behind any action and not the action itself that is important. The triggering force of anger can be rajas or tamas or even sattva guNa (when someone insults your guru or God). Getting angry on our kids or anyone for their own good is also from sattva guNa as our intention is not to insult our kids but to help them excel in education.

Happy that you found something useful from my thoughts.

OM

allfoak

Alchemist
Understand of course that this is a rather simplistic view, but it is a good beginning.
i find it both instructional and humorous.

The banana, onion soup is the key to understanding what is being taught.