• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Is the Bible inerrantly true?

keevelish

Wow. If God Almighty can't handle making sure that his Word is inerrant... we have a pretty week God. Not one that I want to serve.

But since my God DOES make sure that his word remains preserved and inerrant forever... I'm quite happy to serve him knowing that I'm not making mistakes because he couldn't handle preserving his word.

But seriously- if God could SPEAK and the universe happens, don't you think he could manage to keep his Word from being screwed up by his own creation?

Joannicius

Wow. If God Almighty can't handle making sure that his Word is inerrant... we have a pretty week God. Not one that I want to serve.
That would be a true statement if God were a dictator which He isn't.

It isn't the weakness of God, it is the sinfulness and weakness of man and the free will that God gives us to follow him.

If God did as some believe (and I used to) and gave us a perfect and full book in every way it would tell us every application in life and we wouldn't need the other vital aspects of The Church to bring us into theosis or true co-joining with Him.
God created all to be interdependant, the Church being the highest example because it is the Body of Christ, being joined together and each part fit to supply the needs of the other parts working together for God's Glory.

It is simular to being in a court of law and the witness is telling the truth but in some details that are insignificant he doesn't see the complete picture or just is ignorant of certain facts, that is why "expert witnesses" are called many times.

The Bible is our expert witness and many of us are just witnesses.

I speculate that the Ten Commandments written by God on the stones that Moses broke when he threw them down were the closest to perfect, if not perfect writings this earth has ever experienced.

No*s

Captain Obvious
keevelish said:

But since my God DOES make sure that his word remains preserved and inerrant forever... I'm quite happy to serve him knowing that I'm not making mistakes because he couldn't handle preserving his word.

But seriously- if God could SPEAK and the universe happens, don't you think he could manage to keep his Word from being screwed up by his own creation?

Like NetDoc pointed out, it works in reverse also. I could always make the same argument for "one Church." After all, if God can't handle making sure that the organization He started continued, He's a pretty weak God. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't accept that argument, though.

Let's make a distinction between what God can do, and what God has done.

keevelish

If God did as some believe (and I used to) and gave us a perfect and full book in every way it would tell us every application in life and we wouldn't need the other vital aspects of The Church to bring us into theosis or true co-joining with Him.
Joannicus- what sort of life aspect can you not relate to in the Bible?

The Body of Christ is everyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal saviour- it is not a teaching institution. God's word is what teaches us. If you're talking about a higher authority of humans who regulate the matters within Christianity- the Bible warns us to stay away from the traditions of man.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Net Doc, what's your problem?
Well, I have many. I am ADD, somewhat idealistic, a dreamer, way too lax about my exercise because I spend too much time on the internet, I am still dealing with pride and impatience, not to mention lust and deception (especially self), and I am fat and butt ugly. Oh yeah, I am my own worst critic. Now that I have THAT off my chest, why do you ask?

PS... probably my one redeeming virtue is that I don't claim to be perfect.

keevelish

I know I am a sinner but through Jesus Christ I have been made perfect. I can honestly say that because Jesus died for my sins and because of his blood he doesn't see them anymore. The father just sees what Jesus did on the cross that's all.

keevelish

I ask because you used that little quote about me looking in the mirror to prove I don't know WHAT about your idea that the Bible has errors in it.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You mean I didn't need to confess? :eek:

The issue is a logical flaw in your argument.

You contend that God is all powerful. (we concur)
That being so, he could NOT have inspired anything faulty. (your error)
You then conclude that since he created the Bible it must be without error.
I then pointed out that he also created YOU (look in the mirror), and thus proves that he does creat things that are capable of error. Thereby disproving your second premise.

Joannicius

You are here declaring yourself infallible because the Word is perfect in every way.....I don't get it?:bonk:

The parts of life that aren't given us in the scripture are the Holy (not man's) Traditions that Paul and Christ referred to, more than once and in the Scripture we both revere as the Most Holy Writings ever. (except noted before)

But the best place to begin would probably be at the Nicene Creed which The Church codified before the Scriptures. What do you do with that part of Holy Tradition?

It sounds to me as though you may worship the Scriptures and Not the One Who made sure we get them.

Joannicius

keevelish said:
I know I am a sinner but through Jesus Christ I have been made perfect. I can honestly say that because Jesus died for my sins and because of his blood he doesn't see them anymore. The father just sees what Jesus did on the cross that's all.
How does believing this make one strive to be Holy and what does it mean in the Scripture "Be Holy as I am Holy"?

And if the Scripture is inerrant, which version are you talking about?

Doc

Space Chief
I believe and worhship Jesus and the Holy Spirit. However, I too find it difficult to believe that the Bible is inerrant. No where in the Scriptures does it state so. Especially in the Old Testament because most of the passages were not written for centuries after they happened and it was passed by Oral Tradition. I am not concerned with proving or disproving the inerrancy but just doing what Jesus commanded.

Joannicius

If dogma isn't important, Christ and the Martyrs all died in vain.
and we believe in vain.
---------I for one believe that the present state of the "Christian" world is as a results
of the very fact that to many believers think dogma isn't important, which
will lead them right into the arms of the Antichrist---------

Joannicius

Doesn't it amaze any of the Christians on this board that the
Western Christian (Catholic and Protestant) deny many of the
tennants of The Faith that was held sacred for over one thousand years?????

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Joannicius said:
Doesn't it amaze any of the Christians on this board that the

Western Christian (Catholic and Protestant) deny many of the

tennants of The Faith that was held sacred for over one thousand years?????
Could you point me to some, please?