• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Is the Bible inerrantly true?

Joannicius

This dogma was not in the Christian realm until approx. 150 years ago. The Church of antiquity could not imagine this becoming a dogma or even in discussion.
When you divorce the Holy Tradition of the Church from the Scripture you by default have to come to the logical end of either throwing the Scripture aside (because it isn't without error) or blindly believing that you have to overlook what errors with the rational that it isn't error I am looking at, it is a problem in my understanding.
When you accept the marriage of Holy Tradition to the Scripture you allow the Church Fathers (Apostles, their diciples, etc.) give us the Church's understanding in those areas where we are confused or just can't grasp.
Admittedly there are areas where we will never understand this side of eternity, but those area don't have to do with the abilility and tools to attain a righteous life.

In summation, we have the tools needed in The Church to live the life of Christ that God has given to us that we may express our love fully for and In Him.

chris9178

If it's inerrantly true, there are a lot of things that need some sort of explaning. First off I'd like somebody to adequately debate evolution. I don't particularly like to agree with evolution, and I was raised not too, but 10,000 PhD's make a rather strong case for it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
[Part QUOTE=Joannicius]
In summation, we have the tools needed in The Church to live the life of Christ that God has given to us that we may express our love fully for and In Him.[/QUOTE]
I am a little at odds with your title of the thread; I think what you meant to ask was 'Is the Bible a true and accurate 'manual for life as a God loving person?' - please forgive me if I am wrong.

Your 'in summation remark' seems to imply that we can live the life of Christ; whilst I think your intentions are honorable to the extreme, I don't think many of us could hope to aspire to living as Christ did!:eek:

chris9178

I'd like someone to give an error of the Bible first off, so we can discuss that.
Like I said.... begin with evolution. Tell me how the creation story is right, and evolution is wrong. I would have utmost respect for you if you could.

keevelish

Like I said.... begin with evolution. Tell me how the creation story is right, and evolution is wrong. I would have utmost respect for you if you could.
All I can say is that there is nothing in the world that the Bible contradicts, and that evolution is merely a theory, one with many holes. One has to take the creation story on faith, because we weren't there. But you won't find anything that the Bible says is true that contradicts what we can study.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The Scripture never claims to be perfect... just inspired.

The Scripture never gives permission to change what it teaches. In fact it tells us that those who DO change the gospel of Christ should be eternally condemned (Gal 1).

If you want to find THE church, compare those you see with the First Century church found in the New Testament. Jesus is the vine... the fruit today is the same as the fruit from the first century. So is the church.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Two things.

I do not believe the Bible to be inerrant because I cannot see how anything that God inspired(is God-breathed) could be in error.

I also have yet to find a single circumstance in which the Bible errs.

This to me points toward inerrancy.

Scuba Pete

{Pssst... inerrant means without error)

God inspires men, and puts his spirit within him. Yet ALL men err.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
{Pssst... inerrant means without error)
I think we all know what inerrancy means.

God inspires men, and puts his spirit within him. Yet ALL men err.
I know that we all err, that does not necessitate errancy in all things though. I believe that through the inspiration of God that the Biblical writers did not err while writing the Bible.

NetDoc, do you believe the Bible to inerrant or do you believe that it has errors? If so, what errors? Do you believe this to be due to translation, and the many companies trying to make buck off of Bible printing or what?

A

angellous_evangellous

I must agree with NetDoc. The Bible does not claim to be without error, and I must submit that if we have the apostolic message as recorded in the NT, don't we have the testimony of the Church's founders? How then can we not live by the Bible and have all that we need for "life and godliness?"

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have a biblical back up on that?
Do you have a Biblical back for your position? If you can find me one verse in the Bible where it says anything to the effect of "That other part of the Bible is incorrect" I will change my position.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
The Bible itself claims to be without error. "For all scripture is inspired of God and profitable for.....instruction in righteousness." If the scripture were not ALL accurate, how could ALL of it be profitable? I think the problem we run into today, is that is takes some work to understand some things in the Bible and folks often stop studying and learning the scriptures.

No*s

Captain Obvious
EEWRED said:
The Bible itself claims to be without error. "For all scripture is inspired of God and profitable for.....instruction in righteousness." If the scripture were not ALL accurate, how could ALL of it be profitable? I think the problem we run into today, is that is takes some work to understand some things in the Bible and folks often stop studying and learning the scriptures.

Jesus asserts that the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds when He teaches about faith. Does this mean that the mustard seed must be the smallest for the lesson to be accurate? If not, then we have our example right there of a Scripture that isn't accurate and still quite profitable.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Whe it comes to agrisulture, I am admittedly ignorant. Is the mustard seed not the smallest of all seeds? Great question though. Let me look into this a little more.

Scuba Pete

Hey Emu... I asked first! :D

EEWRED... That only says it's INSPIRED, it does not say it's inerrant. Men are also inspired, and yet they argue with a signpost and take the wrong way home.

Performance Park... I am not sure. I realized last December that something that I have held so dear to me for so long is not even claimed by the scriptures. I have always tried to affirm the inerrancy, but I am not as inclined anymore. MOST of what people see wrong is bogus. Even the Mustard seed reference... it was the smallest commercial seed of the day. It was traded and planted, so I can see that.

But God has ALWAYS worked through that which is flawed, so that NO ONE may claim his glory. Might this apply to the scriptures too??? I have yet to come to full grips with this, and would greatly appreciate SOMEONE coming up with a scripture that says the Scriptures are without error. I would make my life a lot easier. :D

No*s

Captain Obvious
EEWRED said:
Whe it comes to agrisulture, I am admittedly ignorant. Is the mustard seed not the smallest of all seeds? Great question though. Let me look into this a little more.

I understand. I don't know the name of the smaller seed, but it isn't. However, even with a factual error there, the truth in it remained the same. Some statements in Scripture require literal truth, but others do not.

Another example (which doesn't require knowledge of agriculture :D): Was Goliath 9 ft or 6 ft? We have biblical texts that say both (my OT goes w/ 6 ft). In the end, does this little fact matter, even if both are wrong?