• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian fear

Jeremiah Ames

I got a letter in the mail today from a guy whose first name is Dr. and middle name is James.
The envelope had “America’s spiritual civil war” written on it. Inside he droned on and on about “those horrible people” who are taking away the American way of life. (LGBTQ, abortion people, and anyone who wants to get married that doesn’t meet HIS standards. He was planting seeds of FEAR in the minds of his readers. He was also asking for a donation (I forgot to mention he is a Christian evangelical).

I looked online about him, and located an interesting article written by someone who was speaking about Dr. James’s previous letter written a few months ago. It was about “those horrible people” at the border, known as “immigrants” to sane people. Evidently he was planting more seeds of FEAR, while simultaneously asking for a donation.

How is it possible for any intelligent, sane person who calls themselves Christian to believe such garbage?
Do they not read their own scripture?

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.

Matthew 10:31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Should Christians follow leaders who advocate fear of other people?

Isn’t that what the Crusades, the Inquisition, Nazi Germany, the KKK, and the election of Trump have in common?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
They're fake Christians, obviously. Part of the Christian message is that there's nothing to fear, not even bodily death or worldly ruin, as there's another world beyond this where we eternally live and a new world to come that God will establish. So that guy is a charlatan.

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. " - 1 John 4:18

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Im most of europe sending out such a letter would be seen as incitement to provoke hatred and should* face criminal charges.

It means that freedom of speech comes with responsibility.

* In reality, right wing governments turn a blind eye when they think they can dodge the public outcry.

In America you have right to ask people to kill other people, freedom of speech is a constitutional right. Unfortunately, Dr James (real name withheld ;-) has committed no crime.

Isn’t that what the Crusades, the Inquisition, Nazi Germany, the KKK, and the election of Trump have in common?

I don’t think being careful and trying to avoid unpleasant things is same as advocating fear. People should not be ruled by fear and disciples of Jesus don’t really have anything to fear, but still, it is wise to try to avoid things that are not nice/good.

Jeremiah Ames

I don’t think being careful and trying to avoid unpleasant things is same as advocating fear. People should not be ruled by fear and disciples of Jesus don’t really have anything to fear, but still, it is wise to try to avoid things that are not nice/good.

You’re saying we all should avoid immigrants and gays because they are not nice/good?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I got a letter in the mail today from a guy whose first name is Dr. and middle name is James.
The envelope had “America’s spiritual civil war” written on it. Inside he droned on and on about “those horrible people” who are taking away the American way of life. (LGBTQ, abortion people, and anyone who wants to get married that doesn’t meet HIS standards. He was planting seeds of FEAR in the minds of his readers. He was also asking for a donation (I forgot to mention he is a Christian evangelical).

I looked online about him, and located an interesting article written by someone who was speaking about Dr. James’s previous letter written a few months ago. It was about “those horrible people” at the border, known as “immigrants” to sane people. Evidently he was planting more seeds of FEAR, while simultaneously asking for a donation.

How is it possible for any intelligent, sane person who calls themselves Christian to believe such garbage?

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.

Gerry, I'm not even Christian, and I think you are being unfair. Anytime you have a large group of people, you are going to get a range of all different kinds, including the lunatic fringe. You'll find brilliant, wise, movers of the world. And you'll find superstitious dogmatists and conspiracy theorists who can't reason worth beans. It's just all part of being human. You really can't blame the religion. If you look, you'll find nutty atheists, nutty Jews, nutty Buddhists... It's just the nature of humanity.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

They're not scriptural Christians. They're Right Wing Authoritarians who have deluded themselves that their nationalism, tribalism, bigotry and conventionalism were biblically mandated. They completely ignore Christ's principles of universalism, tolerance and compassion.

Christians should follow principles, not "leaders." Loyalty to country, race, language or nationality is un-christian.

Jeremiah Ames

Gerry, I'm not even Christian, and I think you are being unfair. Anytime you have a large group of people, you are going to get a range of all different kinds, including the lunatic fringe. You'll find brilliant, wise, movers of the world. And you'll find superstitious dogmatists and conspiracy theorists who can't reason worth beans. It's just all part of being human. You really can't blame the religion. If you look, you'll find nutty atheists, nutty Jews, nutty Buddhists... It's just the nature of humanity.
Are you sure I am being unfair?
I’m just saying that it would be insane to follow the ‘nutty’ leaders.
I hope and believe that many Christians do not.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Are you sure I am being unfair?
I’m just saying that it would be insane to follow the ‘nutty’ leaders.
I hope and believe that many Christians do not.
I'm not saying to follow them. I'm saying don't characterize the entire religion by its lunatic fringe.