• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Do you have to confess Christ to be "saved" or go to heaven?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Salvation is not dependent upon the actions of any human being, but it is a gift from God. Blessed are those who believe in life, but God will save those whom He chooses based on righteous judgment.

Romans 9 (English Standard)
14What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?"

20But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" 21Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? 22What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory-- 24even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 25As indeed he says in Hosea,

"Those who were not my people I will call 'my people,'
and her who was not beloved I will call 'beloved.'"
26"And in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,'
there they will be called 'sons of the living God.'"

FFH

Veteran Member
Romans 14: 11

"For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."

Philipians 2: 11

"And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."

Mosiah 16: 1

"And now, it came to pass that after Abinidi had spoken these words he strethed forth his hand ans said: The time shall come when all shall see the salvation of the Lord; when every nation, kindred, tongue, and people shall see eye to eye and shall confess before God that his judgements are just."

Mosiah 27: 31

"Yea, every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess before him. Yea, even at the last day, when all men shall stand to be judged of him, then shall they confess that he is God, then shall they confess, who live without God in the world, that the judgement of an everlasting punishment is just upon them; and they shall quake, and tremble, and shrink beneath the glance of his all-searching eye."

Doctrine and Covenants 76: 110

"And this shall be the sound of his trump, saying to all people, both in heaven and in earth, and that are under the earth---for every ear shall hear it, and every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess, while they hear the sound of the trump, saying fear God, and give glory to him who sitteth upon the throne, forever and ever, for the hour of his judgement is come."

We must confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. We must confess that Jesus Christ is God. We must confess that Jesus Christ's judgements are just, and repent, and confess Him as our Lord and Savior.

Jesus Christ will have mercy on us if we confess him to be our Lord and Savior, and repent of our sins. We will then be worthy to be with Him, during His Millenial reign on earth, if we do this. I think it is absolutely necessary for our salvation. Confessing Jesus Christ as Lord is something that some of us have never done. I think there is power in doing this. My wife taught me the importance of this. She confesses Jesus Christ at all times and in all places. She is not ashamed of the name of Jesus Christ. Because she has done this it has changed my life, and many of those around her. We must reverence the name of Jesus Christ, but this does not mean to not speak His name at all times and in all places. We must use his name and confess it to others.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
s
angellous_evangellous said:
Salvation is not dependent upon the actions of any human being, but it is a gift from God. Blessed are those who believe in life, but God will save those whom He chooses based on righteous judgment.
I an sure that is true.
I am also sure that there is no single action or declaration of faith that we can make, that will guarantee salvation.

I think that those that do achieve salvation will be very surprised about who their fellows will be.
And equally surprised by those who fave failed Gods Judgement.

People seem to want to treat Gods kingdom like they would a kingdom on earth.
If you want to "get on" here you declare you support for the leader. you pay your dues,
you make sure you have the right friends, are seen in the right places, make no enemies amongst those in power.
If you do all that, you can pretty well live as corrupt a life as you like.

God doesn't work like that,
He sees you as you really are
he knows your true worth.

This does not depend on what you say you believe,
How often you go to church
how often you pray
What your Church or priests think of you

God looks at the positive contribution you have made to the benefit of his Kingdom on earth.
At those things you could have done but didn't do.
at the small kindnesses you have made to others, when it was difficult for you to do so.
Salvation is about the whole you, not your public face.
It is The Gift of GOD.

Is this tough...of course it is... when ever did Jesus say it would be easy.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

A

angellous_evangellous

FFH said:
Romans 14: 11

"For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God."

Philipians 2: 11

"And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."
Both of these quotes are usually interpreted as applying to eschatology. That is, at the resurrection, every living thing will confess that Jesus is Lord, but this confession is compulsory and does not garauntee admission into heaven. In the Greek, both verses indicate future action and it is reflected in the English.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
sI an sure that is true.
I am also sure that there is no single action or declaration of faith that we can make, that will guarantee salvation.

I think that those that do achieve salvation will be very surprised about who their fellows will be.
And equally surprised by those who fave failed Gods Judgement.

People seem to want to treat Gods kingdom like they would a kingdom on earth.
If you want to "get on" here you declare you support for the leader. you pay your dues,
you make sure you have the right friends, are seen in the right places, make no enemies amongst those in power.
If you do all that, you can pretty well live as corrupt a life as you like.

God doesn't work like that,
He sees you as you really are
he knows your true worth.

This does not depend on what you say you believe,
How often you go to church
how often you pray
What your Church or priests think of you

God looks at the positive contribution you have made to the benefit of his Kingdom on earth.
at the small kindnesses you have made to others, when it was difficult for you to do so.
Salvation is about the whole you, not your public face.
It is The Gift of GOD.

Is this tough...of course it is... when ever did Jesus say it would be easy.

Terry__________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God
Nicely said, Terry.
.....I guess you are right, but that could be taken as meaning most anything............:help:

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
I truely think its whats in your heart.
Some people can be very tender and warm, always willing to help and may not be a believer.​
Do they make it to heaven? I really dont see why not.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Evenstar said:
Some people can be very tender and warm, always willing to help and may not be a believer.​
Of course they do, I am sure belief comes last on the list.
Even for a Christian there are too many varied beliefs.
some where you have to make choices.
that becomes something of a lottery.

I am sue God does not rely on a lottery.

Every one is Judged on their merits, not Just Christians.
But to follow Jesus's teachings sets you on the right track from the start.
But those who do not know his teachings but act as if they had, they must be even more blessed.
The Beatitudes does not just apply to Christians
Jesus was very inclusive.

Terry______________________-
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Dentonz

Romans 9 (English Standard)
14What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?"

20But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" 21Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? 22What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory-- 24even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? 25As indeed he says in Hosea,

"Those who were not my people I will call 'my people,'
and her who was not beloved I will call 'beloved.'"
26"And in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,'
there they will be called 'sons of the living God.'"
Matthew 10: 32-33
" Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

From the mouth of Jesus pretty self explanatory.

Reactions: FFH

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

This question assumes that being "saved" and "going to heaven" are one and the same. In order to really discuss this topic meaningfully, we need to start by defining what it means to be saved.
Does "salvation" mean being saved from the permanence of death? Does it mean being saved from an eternity in some kind of "lake of fire"? Or does it mean receiving the fullness of God's glory. To me, depending upon how the word is used, it can mean different things.

With that in mind... No, you don't have to "confess Christ" to be saved from death. You don't have to "confess Christ" to be spared an eternity in Hell. You do have to "confess Christ" (among other things) to receive the fullness of salvation.

FFH

Veteran Member
Dentonz said:
Matthew 10: 32-33
" Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

From the mouth of Jesus pretty self explanatory.
Excellent scripture. We must confess Jesus Christ before men. This is a part of our salvation. It secures our salvation.

FFH

Veteran Member
Heres another one in Luke.

Luke 12: 8

"Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God."

Confessing Christ is part of our salvation.

Romans 10: 9-10

9- That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10- For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

1John 4: 3

"And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come, and even now already is it in the world."

2 John 1: 7

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist."

1 John 4: 15

"Whosovever shall confess that Jesus is the son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God."

Revelation 3: 5

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment, and I will not blot out his name out of the Book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels."

Moroni 7: 42-48

42- Wherefore, if a man have faith he must needs have hope, for without faith there cannot be any hope.

43- And again, behold I say unto you that he cannot have faith and hope, save he shall be meek, and lowly of heart.

44- If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confess by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity, for if he have not charity he is nothing, wherefore he must needs have charity.

45- And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and invieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her oen, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth no in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

46- Wherefore, my beloved bretheren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, fo all things must fail---

47- But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever, and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

48- Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with his love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ, that ye may become the sons of God, that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is, that we may have this hope, that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Evenstar said:
I totally agree. God knows our heart. What's in our heart is the key. ;)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
NetDoc said:
PS to all... the Bible considers "faith" a work. Thought you should know!
Amen, brother!

We don't have to buy our way into heaven with works. Jesus Christ paid the ultimate price for our sins, so that we can be forgiven and CAN have everlasting life IN him.

The greatest "work" that any Christian can accomplish is to simply give their life fully and completely to Christ...to let HIM do the driving...to trust Him...to love Him and to live our lives as HE would want us to...so that we can burn like little fires and to show as many as possible the way to the Throne of Grace. Isn't that why we're here?

Will we be judged too? Sure. But we've been bought with such a precious price. He bought our way to heaven...we just need to give it all to Him and allow him to take us where HE desires us to go in life. And confess his Precious name with all our hearts...as MUCH as we can...:bounce

Scott1

From the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium
(T)hose who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God. In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh.(125) On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues.(126); But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind. Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things,(127) and as Saviour wills that all men be saved.(128) Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.(19*) Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life. Whatever good or truth is found amongst them is looked upon by the Church as a preparation for the Gospel.(20*) She knows that it is given by Him who enlightens all men so that they may finally have life. But often men, deceived by the Evil One, have become vain in their reasonings and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, serving the creature rather than the Creator.(129) Or some there are who, living and dying in this world without God, are exposed to final despair. Wherefore to promote the glory of God and procure the salvation of all of these, and mindful of the command of the Lord, "Preach the Gospel to every creature",(130) the Church fosters the missions with care and attention.

125 Cf. Rom. 9, 4-5
126 Cf. Rom. 1 l, 28-29.
127 Cf. Acts 17,25-28.
128 Cf. 1 Tim. 2, 4.
129 Cf Rom. 1, 21, 25.
130 Mk. 16, 16.

hero

I disagree. Maybe it is just because of the first thing you said (Salvation is not dependent upon the actions of any human being). I agree that salvation is the gift of God, but I am also to understand that this verse is taken out of context, if I am correct in my memory, this is talking about Gods chosen people and the gentiles. Our salvation is entirely dependant on our actions. Yet it is not by them that we are saved. I will try to explain it the best I can:
It thanks to Christ that we are saved, but not in Him alone. For, to say that the blood of Christ alone forgives all sins lacks logic. It would be to say that for those who are never saved, Christ's blood was never shed. Yet what has been done cannot be reversed. So we know that their is something beyond just Christ dying. James addresses faith in what for me was the most memorable display. Even demons believe.
What then does that say for believing? This is evidense of something greater than believing or blood...(to obey is better than to sacrifice.) Let us examine the elements at work. Faith...and God. Faith being what James was addressing. What do we need forgiveness of? Sin. Sin is a broad topic just as is trangressions and offenses. What is the offense, transgression, offense. What was the first sin. Pride. Satans fall, and the temptation of Eve. Perhaps what sin is is pride. One would say that their are many more sins than one... I disagree. I think sin is all made of the same material...evil. But evil again is an example of a broad topic. Evil then too can be said to have originated as pride. So the material all evil is made of is pride. It comes in new styles and molds but originates as pride. All that is bad originated as good. This is given evidense by God. In the beginning their was only Him. God is good, not evil. Yet he created satan, the father of lies. Pride is what makes evil evil. By knowing what is evil you can then understand what is truly good. God says to humble yourself. Love is selfless(self-sacrifice), and God is love. If love is self-sacrifice doesnt it make perfect sense when Jesus was God, and Jesus was the sacrifice. So it was love that God saved us. You would not put someone in charge of operating a tool that they do not know how to operate. In this same way Christ did not come just to die, but to put into effect the laws of love, and give us the doctorine of what love was. This is love, selfless, the opposite of pride which is selfish. By understanding good and evil, God can open our eyes to the deeper meaning. Actions speak louder than words do they not. What good does it do to say one thing and to do the opposite, it would be hypocrisy. Love is not such. James shows us what goes beyond just believing, but putting into practice with works. They are not works to earn your way into heaven, but works of faith, because without faith it is impossible to please God. If good is selfless, then when we sin we fall to pride. Our own selfishness. When we sin, and we know God, who is love, it is because either we dont love God enough, or we love sin to much.

madkatz

Umm...this is just my own personally belief, techniqually by the bible you do have to confess in order to be saved...the whole heaven thing, that I think is debatable since many different religions have different ways of getting to the place called "heaven".

Scott1

hero said:
Our salvation is entirely dependant on our actions. Yet it is not by them that we are saved.
I think you are missing the point.... our (j)ustification has been merited for us by the Passion of Christ who offered himself on the cross as a living victim, holy and pleasing to God, and whose blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men.

Since the initiative belongs to God in the order of grace, no one can merit the initial grace of forgiveness and justification, at the beginning of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit and by charity, we can then merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification, for the increase of grace and charity, and for the attainment of eternal life. Even temporal goods like health and friendship can be merited in accordance with God's wisdom. These graces and goods are the object of Christian prayer. Prayer attends to the grace we need for meritorious actions.

So I would have to say that your idea that "Our salvation is entirely dependant on our actions" is quite false... we can have merit in God's sight only because of God's free plan to associate man with the work of his grace. Merit is to be ascribed in the first place to the grace of God, and secondly to man's collaboration. Man's merit is due to God.

All good comes from God first.

Immaculata pray for us,
Scott

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It's not a magical, complicated formula. Jesus called followers, not believers. "What must I do to have eternal life?" the answer wasn't "believe in me," it was, "love your neighbor."