• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian denial of the threat of nuclear war

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
In this post I'm going to be referring to the Christian Baptist church teachings I grew up around. I recognize that these views do not represent the majority of Christianity, but it does represent the majority of Christians I know.

The Pastor says that nuclear war cannot and will not happen. "There will be wars and rumours of wars when the end is near" he touts. The Christian view is that humanity cannot destroy itself; Jesus will come back before that happens! So, obviously all out nuclear war won't happen, as that would be the apocalypse, and the apocalypse is only gonna happen a specific way.
Does anyone see the danger in this thinking? As a Christian, I think there is the distinct possibility humanity can wipe itself out before Jesus comes back, at least mostly.
I have a question for you, if you're a Christian. Do you think that all out nuclear war can possibly happen before the rapture and all that? Or do you think God will prevent it?

exchemist

Veteran Member
In this post I'm going to be referring to the Christian Baptist church teachings I grew up around. I recognize that these views do not represent the majority of Christianity, but it does represent the majority of Christians I know.

The Pastor says that nuclear war cannot and will not happen. "There will be wars and rumours of wars when the end is near" he touts. The Christian view is that humanity cannot destroy itself; Jesus will come back before that happens! So, obviously all out nuclear war won't happen, as that would be the apocalypse, and the apocalypse is only gonna happen a specific way.
Does anyone see the danger in this thinking? As a Christian, I think there is the distinct possibility humanity can wipe itself out before Jesus comes back, at least mostly.
I have a question for you, if you're a Christian. Do you think that all out nuclear war can possibly happen before the rapture and all that? Or do you think God will prevent it?
I think this presents a false dichotomy. There is no reason why a nuclear war need extinguish the entire human race. It would kill a large chunk of humanity, but far from everybody on the planet.

Brian2

Veteran Member

It could happen imo.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There is prophecy in Zechariah 13:8

"And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein."

Regards Tony

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I can confirm that throughout the Catholic world there is a very similar stance.

I don't know about the Vatican. Which by the way does not represent Catholics, fortunately.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think it just may happen.

If we think back in the time of John when he wrote the book of Revelations, how can one use the vocabulary of that time to express the weapons of today?

As I look at the imagery, I actually find support for a nuclear war and the weaponry of today.

God does intervene, humanity is not destroyed, but not until after the judgments found in the book of Revelations.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

If we think back in the time of John when he wrote the book of Revelations, how can one use the vocabulary of that time to express the weapons of today?

As I look at the imagery, I actually find support for a nuclear war and the weaponry of today.

God does intervene, humanity is not destroyed, but not until after the judgments found in the book of Revelations.

In Revelation it is written that before the Second Coming, Earth will be dominated by the Beast that will impose its own mark.
But only those who will refuse that mark, will be saved.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Could you give examples of verses that support it? Been a while since I read revelations

wellwisher

I was a child living during the second half of the Cold War; early 1960's onward, where the risk of nuclear war, led to drills in school; hide under the desk. I knew where all the bomb shelters in the city were, and how to survive in my basement. For me Boston was east so I needed to hide behind the eastern cellar wall to avoid the blast wave.

In 20/20 hindsight, this turned out to be nothing but collective paranoia. It wasted so much time, in stress and fear. The fear propaganda, in the end, did more harm than the nukes.

The 1950's and then early 1960's nuclear fear, gradually evolved into the late 1960's love generation. The youth became tired of living with the fear of something they had no control over. The leaders and adults had all the cards and they were no willing to give up the fear.

The love and wildness of the 1960's was there to distract from the propaganda fear. There was also a push toward alternate reality; drugs and alternate religions, so one could leave the current reality of fear. These changes were very calming and neutralized the propaganda, that was far more dangerous to your mental heath. Love helped to create change. It neutralized the fear to where it became more on the back burner.

We need to learn from history to avoid the same mistakes. However the COVID bogeyman showed this may not be easy for all, since was fear is already ignited and led to control. This why the clergy is not willing to repeat the past since self serving people led the last exercise in fear.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's imbecilic to look toward the future with presumptuous certainty based on the unsubstantiated superstitions of the past.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think this presents a false dichotomy. There is no reason why a nuclear war need extinguish the entire human race. It would kill a large chunk of humanity, but far from everybody on the planet.
But a problem could be what's called "nuclear winter". Are you familiar with that scientific hypothesis by chance?

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
It's imbecilic to look toward the future with presumptuous certainty based on the unsubstantiated superstitions of the past.
What past are you referring to that is unsubstantiated superstition? What criteria are you using to establish what has been substantiated?

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
But a problem could be what's called "nuclear winter". Are you familiar with that scientific hypothesis by chance?
The August 1984 issue of Scientific American had a good article on the effects of even a small regional nuclear conflict. Between say India and Pakistan. Its paints a pretty bleak picture for humanity if such a thing happens.

Kenny

Premium Member
In Revelation it is written that before the Second Coming, Earth will be dominated by the Beast that will impose its own mark.
But only those who will refuse that mark, will be saved.

I think, as i understand it, that your statement is too short of a summary though there is truth to it. The Beast never had complete dominion over the whole of the earth. Remember the horns that represent countries? - It wasn't the whole of the earth but certain countries and, if you remember, there is a war of those who come against Israel. Not the whole of the earth but those of the north (presumable Russia,) and those of the east (presumably China)

Kenny

Premium Member
As we deal with possibilities:
Revelation 8:10-11 ESV
The third angel blew his trumpet, and a great star fell from heaven, blazing like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many people died from the water, because it had been made bitter.

Some believe this was an interpretation of a bomb falling (a great star) - blazing like a torch (the fire behind the bomb) and then the radiation affected the waters (it became bitter) and people died because of the radiation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, a little - a stronger version of the cooling effect one gets from certain extremely violent volcanic eruptions, due to fine particulates in the stratosphere, reducing sunlight penetration. But it seems extremely doubtful that that such an effect would be severe enough to wipe out mankind - more here: Nuclear winter - Wikipedia

F1fan

Veteran Member

Do you believe in the Hal Lyndsey Late Great Planet Earth books and beliefs? You surely remember those books from the 70-80's.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think, as i understand it, that your statement is too short of a summary though there is truth to it. The Beast never had complete dominion over the whole of the earth. Remember the horns that represent countries? - It wasn't the whole of the earth but certain countries and, if you remember, there is a war of those who come against Israel. Not the whole of the earth but those of the north (presumable Russia,) and those of the east (presumably China)

I think it has nothing to do with geography.
The clear references of the mark of the Beast reveal it is something financial.