• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian concepts and behaviors that can/are offensive to others

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
So in my encounters with certain Christians I've noticed when they want to discuss Jesus they use phrases like "I'm saved" or they'll say "I'll pray for you" etcetera. Now, I'm all for the praying and a friendly discussion about Jesus of Nazareth and their views on him but sometimes the context in which the discussion about Jesus can be somewhat offensive.

Example #1 "Jesus said nobody comes to the Father except through me....It does not matter if you're a good person if you don't know Jesus you will not go to heaven"

My response: "Ok that is fine, it demonstrates the conditions of love your Christ has for me"

Example #2 "No conditions, it is what is written in the Bible."

My response: " Ok well, I'll continue to go my own way"

Example #3 "Ok. you'll be damned for hell, but I'll pray you find Jesus."

Now, this is just one of many examples how Christians tend to approach secularists when discussing their faith and of course in their mind, this approach in teaching others about their faith is fine, but from the outside, it seems aggressive and insensitive. I think context is necessary when discussing their faith because everyone does not share the same belief system. Instead of the righteous approach using Biblical fervor, the approach ought to be more of a common dialogue. What I mean is, the discussion should be less about the fears of the hereafter and just merely discuss the human side about Jesus and what he means to you. Less about not coming to the father stuff and more about just purely doing good works. Less about "I'm gonna pray for you since you're a sinner" and more about having an open invitation to a cup of coffee with his/her congregation.

I think one of the best ways to win people over is just purely having a normal discussion without the whole scriptural thumping. I think scripture comes into play when the person sincerely inquires about certain things. I'm not sure if any of my atheist counterparts have encountered this but I know I have many times. I'm truly not for the conditional God as the Abrahamic faiths have presented. The conditional God is not an attractive metaphysical concept. But I am curious for those who are agnostic/atheist have you encountered this as well?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I find example #3 to be rather passive-aggressive. Sure they believe its the truth, but they're only thinking of their beliefs and opinions when making such a statement, never what the secularist might think. This is why I find some forms of proselytisation to be uncouth. It's basically saying "you're wrong, and I hope you find that we are right". Such behaviour rewards non-diplomacy, a current ill in our society.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
We don't have a lot of fire and brimstone sorts up here in paradise. I have run across a couple over the years but it IS hard to take them seriously. I've been condemned to Hell/Hellfire by Christians and Muslims alike and I always have felt that that is where they lost the argument. It's the theological trump card and believers think it is an important point, but non-believers just shrug and smile it off, much like the ravings of a small child telling you their latest wild ideas.

Your post did remind me of the time a few years back on RF when I rattled a poor Muslim's cage so hard that they said I was Shaytan himself. I always have considered that to be a great compliment and a badge of honor.

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
It's probably offensive because you know they won't pray for you, they're just hypocrites, if they were going to pray for you they wouldn't need to tell you about it first. And they don't know scriptures well enough to say anything that makes sense.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
a normal discussion without the whole scriptural thumping. I think scripture comes into play when the person sincerely inquires about certain things.
Scripture can be related, if integrated with what is being stipulated; yet with understanding first, before pouring a pitcher onto someone...

It shows that someone has a weak understanding, and therefore are defending themselves with a book, before wisdom.
they use phrases like "I'm saved" or they'll say "I'll pray for you"
These should tell us that the person is trying to justify their own faith by emphasizing it, and secondly trying to indicate that anyone who isn't in their special club needs praying for, as they're personally not capable of relating the information in a way that justifies it.
Less about "I'm gonna pray for you since you're a sinner"
Unfortunately due to the Christian church being established by the Pharisee Paul, who blatantly contradicts Christ on many things, it has the same contentions Yeshua said about the previous Pharisees.

Matthew 23:15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel around by sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a Child of Hell as yourselves.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I'm all for the praying and a friendly discussion about Jesus of Nazareth and their views on him but sometimes the context in which the discussion about Jesus can be somewhat offensive.

The correct approach of course is the one Jesus used. He found common ground and common things to discuss with his listeners. He used illustrations to get his points across but never forced his views on people. He was gentle when it was needed and strong when condemnation was warranted, especially regarding the hypocritical Pharisees who had neglected the ones Jesus was sent to find.
He offered his message without threats to his listeners and allowed people to respond as their hearts impelled them.
No pressure....just on a 'take it or leave it' basis. You don't have to tell someone you'll pray for them, you can just do it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Epic Beard Man said:
Christian concepts and behaviors that can/are offensive to others
I can understand how behavior could be offensive, but how can a concept be offensive?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It's probably offensive because you know they won't pray for you, they're just hypocrites, if they were going to pray for you they wouldn't need to tell you about it first. And they don't know scriptures well enough to say anything that makes sense.

It is like what one poster said "they pray for you to realize they were right."

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The correct approach of course is the one Jesus used. He found common ground and common things to discuss with his listeners. He used illustrations to get his points across but never forced his views on people. He was gentle when it was needed and strong when condemnation was warranted, especially regarding the hypocritical Pharisees who had neglected the ones Jesus was sent to find.
He offered his message without threats to his listeners and allowed people to respond as their hearts impelled them.
No pressure....just on a 'take it or leave it' basis. You don't have to tell someone you'll pray for them, you can just do it.

But today's Christians are very "evangelical" when it comes to discussing about Jesus. Today's Christians don't use the "Jesus approach" they use the Pat Robertson one.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
But today's Christians are very "evangelical" when it comes to discussing about Jesus.

Could be that Jesus commanded his disciples to preach, but not in a pushy way. (Matthew 10:11-15)
If people did not want to listen, he told them to move on.

Today's Christians don't use the "Jesus approach" they use the Pat Robertson one.

Not the real ones. :)

wizanda

Premium Member
The Christian concept that Jews are too blind or too stubborn to see Jesus in the "old testament" is an example of an offensive concept.
It isn't a Christian concept, it is what the Tanakh prophesied would occur:

Isaiah 48:4-5 WEB Because I knew that you are obstinate, and your neck is an iron sinew, and your brow brass; (5) therefore I have declared it to you from of old; before it came to pass I showed it to you; lest you should say, ‘My idol has done them, and my engraved image, and my molten image, has commanded them.’

Tho agree in Christians lording it over people, like they're somehow not part of those blinded as well; the hypocrisy is shocking.
Not the real ones.
Sorry beg to differ, if the original Followers of the Way were teaching the things of God it would be in their own words (Jeremiah 23:30-31)...

Unfortunately being a religious zealot is what has been created by the false Christian ministry that came about after by the Pharisees (John, Paul, and Simon the stone (petros)).

Christians are literally told to push dogma on people by Paul (2 Timothy 3:16); tho there are always some who step outside of the boundaries of the religious textual confinement, and possibly become a light unto many.

Poisonshady313

It isn't a Christian concept, it is what the Tanakh prophesied would occur:

Isaiah 48:4-5 WEB Because I knew that you are obstinate, and your neck is an iron sinew, and your brow brass; (5) therefore I have declared it to you from of old; before it came to pass I showed it to you; lest you should say, ‘My idol has done them, and my engraved image, and my molten image, has commanded them.’

This is an example of what I'm talking about.

wizanda

Premium Member
This is an example of what I'm talking about.
We can understand that the Christians, Muslims, and anyone who has read the text, might point out the Messianic prerequisites in the Tanakh; therefore that isn't them necessarily being offensive, that is the religious text its self chastising our people, in a majority of the prophetic writings.

Yet I do get the point, people generally do not like being told, and will find it offensive if you tell them to tidy up, when they're already doing it.

Poisonshady313

We can understand that the Christians, Muslims, and anyone who has read the text, might point out the Messianic prerequisites in the Tanakh; therefore that isn't them necessarily being offensive, that is the religious text its self chastising our people, in a majority of the prophetic writings.

Yet I do get the point, people generally do not like being told, and will find it offensive if you tell them to tidy up, when they're already doing it.

There you go again.