• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Churches Cancel Service on Christmas

Should Christian churches hold service on Christmas Sunday?

• Yes - Celebrating Jesus' birth is the reason for the season.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No - Too many people are out of town or busy with family/friends.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My church is having service on December 25.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • My church is not having service on December 25

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Our pastor is a funny guy, so when he told a group of us that some Christian churches were not going to hold services on Christmas Day, we thought he was joking.:bonk:

I realize not everyone is registered, or wants to do so, with the AJC, here are some snippets.
AJC article said:
...Two of metro Atlanta's biggest churches — one pastored by a prominent Baptist minister and the other by his son — will close their doors Christmas Day, which falls on a Sunday this year.
First Baptist Church of Atlanta, led by the Rev. Charles Stanley, and North Point Community Church in Alpharetta, led by his son Andy, say they want to allow their staff, volunteers and congregation to celebrate the birth of Jesus in their own ways...
AJC article said:
..."If you didn't worship on the Lord's Day, somehow it'd diminish the significance of the birth of the Savior," said Ed Tomlinson, executive assistant to Bishop G. Lindsey Davis at the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church, which includes 970 churches, adding that he's not aware of any canceled Methodist services...
I could not attach a pdf since it was too big(99k):p , but if anyone wants it, PM your e-mail addy.

Like the poll asks, 'Does cancelling church service on Christmas Day diminish the significance of celebrating Jesus' birth?' How about your church...was there a debate about whether or not to hold service?

pdoel

Our Church holds services, but, from what I understand, very few people show up.

When Christmas falls on a Sunday, we typically do not go. We go to Church on Christmas Eve, get home late, get up early and have a ton to do on Christmas with family coming over, Christmas dinner, etc.

While I realize we probably should go, I think that it's excusable not to. Especially since we were just at Church the night before.

However, I do find it odd that Churches actually cancel service for that morning.

Aqualung

Tasty
LDS church services are 3 hours long. One hour is "sacrament meeting" where we partake of the sacrament, and the other two hours are a sundy school type meeting and then some other meeting that I'm still not sure what it's called. If Christmas is on a sunday, most churches only have sacrament meeting (though the missionaries in our ward were talking about how their home wards always had the regular three hour meeting).

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
pdoel said:
...While I realize we probably should go, I think that it's excusable not to. Especially since we were just at Church the night before...
During Christmas & Easter, I feel like we should have my mail redirected to the church..we're there quite often.:p

It seems like Hot'Lanta, GA clears out at Thanksgiving and Christmas, I'd guess because so many of our residents are transplanted from other state and countries. I wonder if cancelling services is more likely here than in other parts of the country.