• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian charity: I don't get it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Something has perplexed me for a while: I don't understand why a devout Christian would ever be motivated to do charitable works himself.

Why would someone who thinks the most capable being in the universe already knows about every need and is capable of meeting all of them ever see the need for them to step in themselves?

The Gospels record Jesus admonising his disciples for worrying about where their food or clothes would come from. He called them "ye of little faith" and told them to trust that God will provide.

... but doesn't this apply to the people around us, too? Why is it wrong to worry and think "what shall I eat" but not "what shall my neighbour eat"?

What motivates a Christian to perform acts of charity? What do you think you can do that God can't do on his own?

I realize that Christians engage in lots of charity work, but for the life of me I can't understand why. The things that motivate me to help others don't work in a theistic context, and the commands to trust in God to meet our needs don't seem to allow any other motivation I can think of.

So.... why do you do it?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually Jesus does charge his followers with helping others, as if they were helping him, in Matthew 25:31-46.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Maybe they are God's instruments, in providing for those in need?
Can this be reconciled with the rest of Christian doctrine?

Are you, a non-Christian, charitable to others?
I like to think so. Why?

I'm motivated to be charitable out of a desire to change the world for the better, because I think that if I don't do it, I can't be sure it will get done at all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actually Jesus does charge his followers with helping others, as if they were helping him, in Matthew 25:31-46.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
But this ignores other aspects of Christian theology: it's not particularly useful or charitable to give someone food or drink when they're already at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

When I see the fire department fighting a fire, I don't stop to offer to help. This isn't because I'm being uncharitable, but because I know that the situation is already being taken care of, and there's nothing helpful I could do that's not already being done. How much more capable is God than a team of firefighters? What situation exists that be isn't already attending to?

Thana

Lady
Something has perplexed me for a while: I don't understand why a devout Christian would ever be motivated to do charitable works himself.

Why would someone who thinks the most capable being in the universe already knows about every need and is capable of meeting all of them ever see the need for them to step in themselves?

The Gospels record Jesus admonising his disciples for worrying about where their food or clothes would come from. He called them "ye of little faith" and told them to trust that God will provide.

... but doesn't this apply to the people around us, too? Why is it wrong to worry and think "what shall I eat" but not "what shall my neighbour eat"?

What motivates a Christian to perform acts of charity? What do you think you can do that God can't do on his own?

I realize that Christians engage in lots of charity work, but for the life of me I can't understand why. The things that motivate me to help others don't work in a theistic context, and the commands to trust in God to meet our needs don't seem to allow any other motivation I can think of.

So.... why do you do it?

God works through us :)

We give because it's not us that is giving, But God.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Let me see.

If we give, then it is God who gives.
If we don't give enough, then it is man who is selfish and sinful.

God cannot possibly lose, can He?

Ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

How do you know? Don't the Gospels suggest that if you feel motivated to correct some wrong, that this comes from lack of faith, not commands from God?

Why didn't Jesus take this approach with his disciples? Why did he tell them "don't worry - God will provide" and not "yes, go forage for food. And when you find it, that will have been God working through you."

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought part of being Christian was being Christ-like. That includes being charitable. Or adhering to any of the seven virtues, really.

CynthiaCypher

Charity is an act of worship in which we take on the Spirit of Christ and give freely of ourselves to those in need.

It's that simple. We give because Christ gives.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Because I don't think people are really controlled by their beliefs.

People give from compassion. They feel compassion. Has nothing to do with their beliefs. I think people use their religion to justify what they would do anyway.

I never understood why the Christian crowd would be so anti-gay. Jesus taught to forgive sin and not Judge. Truth is I'm not comfortable about homosexuality. I will never be comfortable with it. However if I can use my religion to justify what I already feel anyway then I can believe my position justified.

I think people are who they are. They do things we judge as good or they do things we'll judge as bad. Religion doesn't cause the action. Religion just gives them a way to justify doing what they already want to do.

Sure there is some suppression. People with power of authority making others do things they don't want to do. But then this people are acting because of the power and authority, not because of their religious belief.

So many different religious idealism. That is because people alter their religion so they can justify who they already are.

Thana

Lady
How do you know? Don't the Gospels suggest that if you feel motivated to correct some wrong, that this comes from lack of faith, not commands from God?

Why didn't Jesus take this approach with his disciples? Why did he tell them "don't worry - God will provide" and not "yes, go forage for food. And when you find it, that will have been God working through you."

Exactly, "God will provide", He does this by using His children.

NIV Philippians 2:13 -
"for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Exactly, "God will provide", He does this by using His children.

NIV Philippians 2:13 -
"for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."

So you only do charitable works when you feel like God is explicitly calling you to do them?

Edit: I'm not sure what you meant by "exactly", since I asked you an open-ended question.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Charity is an act of worship in which we take on the Spirit of Christ and give freely of ourselves to those in need.

It's that simple. We give because Christ gives.

And we're supposed to do everything Christ does? Are we also supposed to take the sins of the world upon ourselves?

Thana

Lady
So you only do charitable works when you feel like God is explicitly calling you to do them?

Hm, Yes and no because I don't always feel called to do them, But I don't think that doesn't mean I still wasn't guided to the opportunity, With the decision to give being of my own will.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hm, Yes and no because I don't always feel called to do them, But I don't think that doesn't mean I still wasn't guided to the opportunity, With the decision to give being of my own will.

I'm confused: you aren't always called, but even when you're not called, you're still called?

CynthiaCypher

And we're supposed to do everything Christ does? Are we also supposed to take the sins of the world upon ourselves?

We are called to be the light of the world just as Christ is The Light of the World.

Whenever necessary a Christian is to bear the sins of others to help lead them into repentance and reconciliation.