• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: Can Christians Be Unified?

TheGreaterGame

So apparently the new Pope says that Christianity should be unified. Do you agree? Do you think this is possible? What would that entail?
As long as people take their world view and what they belive about Jesus Christ . . . from a falliable man . . . instead of an infalliable word . . . there cannot be unity . . . we must purify our theology . . . so that we are practicing our faith in the way Jesus intended it. Power corrupts . . . absoulute power corrupts absoulutely!

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Perhaps the similarities we find are because we are all One people. Like a forest with many different trees, we all sprang from the same soil. We all took root and grew on the same green Earth, sought light from the same Sun. While the shape or size or color of our "leaves and bark" may differ, we are all made of basically the same materials. And within our cultures are many great things in common.

A Native American once explained to me that there is no single "Indian culture" per se. They are a widely diverse collection of many tribes, nations and peoples. She explained that while many things will vary from Indian nation to nation, one common thread holds fast. From Canada to South America, most Native Americans share the belief in an Earth Mother and Sky Father. And with this common thread comes a reverence for nature and the desire to live in harmony with it.

Many faiths are divided into a variety of diverse sects. Since our history does not include a time where all people ever agreed on all things, perhaps we can see religion as a mosaic. (And which part of any mosaic is not part of the whole?) Or maybe religion is a gem with many facets. (Which facet does not help shape the entire stone?) Or maybe it is a warm bowl of soup, helping to thaw the many bleak, cold parts of our lives. (Which ingredient in any soup does not blend into its overall flavor?)

magnolia

Sorry, religions contradict each other and can't work together like the "trees in the forest." They are completely different and there is only one correct one.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
magnolia said:
Sorry, religions contradict each other and can't work together like the "trees in the forest." They are completely different and there is only one correct one.
This topic is not about all religions becoming unified, nor would I suggest such a thing. But this thread is refering to just the Christian religions. And do tell, which one is the only correct one?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
EnhancedSpirit said:
This topic is not about all religions becoming unified, nor would I suggest such a thing. But this thread is refering to just the Christian religions. And do tell, which one is the only correct one?
Enhanced Spirit, I'm sure any response he/she gives you will not satisfy you in the least. That is of course why some people come to forums. To claim that the church is within or that the church is all who believe. Personally I think we all were installed with a Windows XP (just an analogy of course) program that has us respond very similar at a universal level. Better known as natural law. Similarites are bound to arise throught out the world. Although it's apparent that many can even say NO to natural law by cheating and lieing or what have you. Some tribes people in South America (can't remember their name) even go as far as seeing killing each other as nothing wrong. Twisted, eh?
Most people recognize this as being wrong without anyone really telling them or teaching them. If this be true then it would only make sense that there be a solution (something that fixes any bugs in the program) to our inability to maintain moral order in our own lives. One Church sure seems to be a feasible fix for that. Which one is something we can surely discuss in another thread. ;)
Does this one Church gurantee union of all Christian churches? Not at all. But it is a solution if understood properly.

~Victor

Quiddity

Since our history does not include a time where all people ever agreed on all things, perhaps we can see religion as a mosaic.

Actually there was a large section of time where there was universal agreement. From 30A.D. to about 1094 at least. It is true that objections and challenges arose but most all knew where to go if they wanted an answer.

~Victor

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Victor said:
Actually there was a large section of time where there was universal agreement. From 30A.D. to about 1094 at least. It is true that objections and challenges arose but most all knew where to go if they wanted an answer.

~Victor
The 12 disciples couldn't even agree on anything completely. Jesus was always correcting them for one thing or another. How could there have been a universal agreement? Especially when Jesus was no longer there to correct any misconceptions about his teachings.

Quiddity

EnhancedSpirit said:
The 12 disciples couldn't even agree on anything completely. Jesus was always correcting them for one thing or another. How could there have been a universal agreement? Especially when Jesus was no longer there to correct any misconceptions about his teachings.
But this only proves my point ES. At the time Christ was physically present on earth he was the solution to disorder. They all knew where to go if something was unclear or not understood. If not, Christ sure wasn't shy to let them know.
Disagreements are bound to arise when you have such complicated beings like humans. This forum is sure proof of that. ;)
Now after Christ died I'm sure you have heard that the "spirit will be with you til the end of time". This is now what leads the Church. So that is where I go for my answers. My only point is that there is a mechanism thru which to resolve disputes. Not all Christendom can honestly say this. A book, even an inspired one can't tell you who's wrong.

~Victor

SpiritElf

Have human beings EVER agreed on ANYTHING? Asking if Christians can be unified is like asking if everyone can suddenly agree to be Republican and eschew other political beliefs; or if everyone can just agree to world peace now; {place appropriate controvery here}.
It's not the faith itself that's the problem. It's man.

Quiddity

SpiritElf said:
Have human beings EVER agreed on ANYTHING? Asking if Christians can be unified is like asking if everyone can suddenly agree to be Republican and eschew other political beliefs; or if everyone can just agree to world peace now; {place appropriate controvery here}.
It's not the faith itself that's the problem. It's man.
So are you saying that since you have man in the equation that we may never agree on anything? You don't see this as a tad exaggerated?

~Victor

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Scott1 said:
Who would lead this unified "Church"?
I don't think the Christian churches will ever unify But we should still work towards it.
All who love the lord will be unified in God.

in Saddleworth we Have what we call Churches together. You can see their banners in these Whit walk pics as well as a marching Catholic Bishop.

http://xs.to/xs.php?f=terrybanner.jpg&h=xs36&d=05271

Terry

Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.