• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Bible context only: The Bible as one story

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: This is for anyone, Christian or not, who agrees to argue only from Christian Bibles. Interpretations, and literal or figurative can be argued, but no debates about historicity or authorship.

I have some thoughts about the Bible, considered as a single story, compiled from many stories by some people with some common purposes. I don’t have any precise view of what those purposes could be. What interests me in the story is what it could be saying about the mission of Jesus.

He calls His gospel a “gospel of the Kingdom,” and He uses some analogies to tell people what it’s like. He says that people can enter it by following Him. He gives people advice about how to live the best life they can. He says that some scripture prophecies are fulfilled in Him and in His time, and some will be fulfilled some time in the future. He says that His own mission is only to the lost sheep of Israel, but He tells the twelve that He has trained, to take the news to all nations.

Going back in time, after the people of Israel enter the land of Israel, after living for a time without a king, they demand to have one. God says that they don’t need any other king but Him, and warns them about what will happen with a king, but they insist, So He agrees to it. There is a kind of anointment ritual when a new king is chosen, and I think that’s what the name “Christ” for Jesus is referring to. At one place in the story, God says about a future king of Israel that “I will be his Father, and he will be My son,” so there is an image of a king of Israel as being the son of God. In the time of Jesus, some Jews are looking forward to a new king arising, and that’s what I think Peter means by saying that Jesus is the anointed one, the son of God.

I know that there’s a lot missing from that story, but does anyone see anything in the Bible that contradicts it?

sooda

Veteran Member
NOTE: This is for anyone, Christian or not, who agrees to argue only from Christian Bibles. Interpretations, and literal or figurative can be argued, but no debates about historicity or authorship.

I have some thoughts about the Bible, considered as a single story, compiled from many stories by some people with some common purposes. I don’t have any precise view of what those purposes could be. What interests me in the story is what it could be saying about the mission of Jesus.

He calls His gospel a “gospel of the Kingdom,” and He uses some analogies to tell people what it’s like. He says that people can enter it by following Him. He gives people advice about how to live the best life they can. He says that some scripture prophecies are fulfilled in Him and in His time, and some will be fulfilled some time in the future. He says that His own mission is only to the lost sheep of Israel, but He tells the twelve that He has trained, to take the news to all nations.

Going back in time, after the people of Israel enter the land of Israel, after living for a time without a king, they demand to have one. God says that they don’t need any other king but Him, and warns them about what will happen with a king, but they insist, So He agrees to it. There is a kind of anointment ritual when a new king is chosen, and I think that’s what the name “Christ” for Jesus is referring to. At one place in the story, God says about a future king of Israel that “I will be his Father, and he will be My son,” so there is an image of a king of Israel as being the son of God. In the time of Jesus, some Jews are looking forward to a new king arising, and that’s what I think Peter means by saying that Jesus is the anointed one, the son of God.

I know that there’s a lot missing from that story, but does anyone see anything in the Bible that contradicts it?

Jesus was neither a king nor anointed. Do you know the difference between Israel and Judea? The Judeans demanded Jesus death, not Israel.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Jesus was neither a king nor anointed.
That might be true, in whatever way you mean it

Do you have any ideas of your own, about what Peter could be thinking in the story, when he says whatever he says that is translated in the KJV as “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”?

sooda

Veteran Member
That might be true, in whatever way you mean it

Do you have any ideas of your own, about what Peter could be thinking in the story, when he says whatever he says that is translated in the KJV as “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”?

Jesus was NEVER a king in Israel or Judah.. Who are you claiming anointed Jesus?

I think Paul's agenda is pretty obvious.. and, I think I understand the nature of his epiphany on the Road to Damascus. Don't you?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Who are you claiming anointed Jesus?
Maybe John, or God, or it could just be a figure of speech.
I think Paul's agenda is pretty obvious.. and, I think I understand the nature of his epiphany on the Road to Damascus. Don't you?
I’ve never thought about it.

Do you have any ideas of your own, about what Peter could be thinking in the story, when he says whatever he says that is translated in the KJV as “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God”?

sooda

Veteran Member
Maybe John, or God, or it could just be a figure of speech.

I’ve never thought about it.

Do you have any ideas of your own, about what Peter could be thinking in the story, when he says whatever he says that is translated in the KJV as “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God”?

Its NOT a figure of speech.. The messiah expected by the Jews was to be an anointed warrior king like David.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Its NOT a figure of speech.. The messiah expected by the Jews was to be an anointed warrior king like David.

sooda

Veteran Member

Yes.. READ the bloody words.. Why do you want that interpreted?

Meanwhile, King David was anointed by Samuel.. I don't remember who anointed Solomon...

You need to work on the basics.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
The messiah expected by the Jews was to be an anointed warrior king like David.
Do you think that’s what Peter could be thinking, when He says “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God”? Maybe Peter thinks that Jesus is the warrior king that he’s expecting, but that He hasn’t been anointed yet. Maybe he thinks that he’s found the promised king before His anointment.

sooda

Veteran Member
Do you think that’s what Peter could be thinking, when He says “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God”? Maybe Peter thinks that Jesus is the warrior king that he’s expecting, but that He hasn’t been anointed yet. Maybe he thinks that he’s found the promised king before His anointment.

That's NOT what Peter says. He Says “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God”