• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian Atheism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Someone can ostensibly fulfill the rites and practises of Christianity and be an atheist. They can't BE a Christian and be an atheist, it's contradictory.

no it's a paradox to the cult of personality that worship Jesus. prior to worshipping the image the gnostic didn't worship a person. like buddhism, it was a personal journey to self-realization.

jesus said to call no man good when a person referred to him as "good master". who would worship a non-good deity?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I'm not much familiar with Any one like that , i have seen what I would call cultural Christians. To answer your question though, yes they could be labeled atheist.

christ is not exclusive to Jesus.

11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

if the kingdom of heaven, or of God, comes from within, then why worship that which is without?

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Yep, I'm happy enough with all that. I just don't think many Christians would actually consider you a Christian.
You're effectively using the Christian method as a form of philosophy.

not if he practices what he philosophies in reality. or if he manifests the philosophy

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That's what atheism is. The rejection that any type of god exists. Non-belief. :shrug:

Sorry, but there's really nothing left to say about it.

if jesus promoted the golden rule; then where is god apart from self?

omega2xx

I have a profound infatuation with the goddess Minerva, I pray to her for guidance and honor her through deads. The shocker is I do not believe in her, I merely accept such a thing for what it is.

What is the point of praying to someone who is not real?

I can pray to Jesus daily and be an atheist still. You must have realized by now that atheism is in the mind as much as the heart. Ritualism should not be confused with belief, not should deeds.

Atheism does not dedpend on who you pray to. It is the belief that there is no such thing as God.

Here is a shocker!

Many people put empty stockings near the fireplace on Christmas as if Santa may fill them with coal or treats, yet they don't believe in Santa. Never understand the human condition and its potency for contradictions

It is not a shocker for Christians. Even before we were Christians we told our son there was no Santa Clause and he still got his Christmas presents. Then when he grew older, he knew we had not lied to him.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I hate to break it to you, but John 5:5 doesn't say squat about believing Jesus is the Son of God.
It shows that the name Jesus is what you're being baptized into, that he is the "One" , and the "One" meaning the Messiah, the Son of God.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Christian heretics are still christians. They just won't have the agreement of orthodoxy. And they do exist, always have.
Also, "orthodoxy" and "accurate/right" aren't synonyms. Orthodoxies tend to rely heavily on little else besides arguments by authority or popularity.

Satan didn't believe, Satan wanted proof. Matt 4:3 The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."
Demons also said Jesus was the son of God, and since the bible claims demons are liars ...

Would it count since Satan isn't one of us?
Ah, but whoever isn't against Jesus is for him, so if Satan believes in him ...

To know one must be able to look into the heart and man does not have that ability. Even the original apostles did not have that ability(
acts 1:24).
The Holy Spirit has some intriguing limitations, such as being able to tell you what passages mean but can't tell you what someone else believes.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I hate to break it to you, but John 5:5 doesn't say squat about believing Jesus is the Son of God.

So right, it's acts 19:5 The Holy Spirit Received at Ephesus
…Paul explained: “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the One coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this,they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.And when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.…

1John 3.23 boils down Christianity also "And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us."

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
What is the point of praying to someone who is not real?

What is the point of role playing?
It makes you feel special, what other reason must I give. Why can I not worship something I find awe inspiring? Must it be real for me to appreciate it? Must a deity be real to admire what that deity symbolizes?

Why treat Santa like a real person and play with your children about Santa's existence? Is it not all the same?

Atheism does not depend on who you pray to. It is the belief that there is no such thing as God.

Agreed, there is no such thing as a god in the classical sense. Although due to ill definitions I can easily say the sun is god because of its potent power. Or a pen when used by a nuclear nation, but that would be silly compared to Jewish hippie zombies :D

It is not a shocker for Christians. Even before we were Christians we told our son there was no Santa Clause and he still got his Christmas presents. Then when he grew older, he knew we had not lied to him.

Doesn't change the fact that Jesus is a Jewish hippie zombie. Nor does it change how unreal and fantastic he is.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Also, "orthodoxy" and "accurate/right" aren't synonyms. Orthodoxies tend to rely heavily on little else besides arguments by authority or popularity.

Demons also said Jesus was the son of God, and since the bible claims demons are liars ...

Ah, but whoever isn't against Jesus is for him, so if Satan believes in him ...

The Holy Spirit has some intriguing limitations, such as being able to tell you what passages mean but can't tell you what someone else believes.

My point is, at the moment you believe Jesus is the Son of God, you are a Christian. Not meaning you can't get kicked out later for other things, but the moment you believe in the name Jesus you are a Christian before you ever have a chance to do anything right or wrong afterwards.

Where do demons ever say Jesus is the Son of God or that Satan believes in his name. I only see it saying even the demons believe "God is one". Regardless, it's irrelevant since Demons and Satan are not human, so cannot be Christians.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
That's what atheism is. The rejection that any type of god exists. Non-belief. :shrug:

Sorry, but there's really nothing left to say about it.
Thank you for flat out admitting that further discussion on the topic with you will be meaningless.

omega2xx

What is the point of role playing?
It makes you feel special, what other reason must I give. Why can I not worship something I find awe inspiring? Must it be real for me to appreciate it? Must a deity be real to admire what that deity symbolizes?

IMO roll playing is for children. When adults find out something is not real, it no longer plays a part in their lives. However if it gives you pleasure, continue. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Why treat Santa like a real person and play with your children about Santa's existence? Is it not all the same?

What we do for our children is much different than we we do for adults.

Agreed, there is no such thing as a god in the classical sense. Although due to ill definitions I can easily say the sun is god because of its potent power. Or a pen when used by a nuclear nation, but that would be silly compared to Jewish hippie zombies :D

You can say anything you want to. I guess I am to practical to get pleasure out ow the thins you mention.

Doesn't change the fact that Jesus is a Jewish hippie zombie. Nor does it change how unreal and fantastic he is.

That is amusing coming from one who prays to something that they know is unreal. Did you hang up you stocking this Christmas? :p

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
IMO roll playing is for children. When adults find out something is not real, it no longer plays a part in their lives. However if it gives you pleasure, continue. It doesn't hurt anyone.

So you don't role play with your lover?
You don't pretend the president is important?
You do not take communion?
You do not partake in Christmas?
Or Easter?
Or play games of any sort?

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH YOUR LIFE!!!??? :eek:

But Minerva is the embodiment of wisdom. Why is it I cannot show honor to wisdom or greatness? Why is it I cannot take part in ritual? Why can I not engage in something poetic that expresses myself both physically, verbally and mentally?

What we do for our children is much different than we we do for adults.

That is a joke right? Please tell me it is a joke.

I hope you realize I could floor you a 100 times by making a statement like this. If you really believe in what you said right here I have an acre of land I can sell you that floats in the clouds, great real-estate.

. . . Food for thought!

Men and boys make believe being macho in the exact same way and play in the exact same way.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
My point is, at the moment you believe Jesus is the Son of God, you are a Christian. Not meaning you can't get kicked out later for other things, but the moment you believe in the name Jesus you are a Christian before you ever have a chance to do anything right or wrong afterwards....
The problem here is that you are defining Christianity to mean believing Jesus is the Son of God. Christianity is a fellowship in his name.

Fool said:
So is a practicing christian, who doesn't believe Jesus is God an atheist?
Let us first of all object to your name, because a gospel quotes Jesus saying "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22) In other words denying you fellowship is an unchristian thing to do. The term 'Fool' here means you are unrighteous, not a member. Christianity is originally universal, so judging people who disagreed about beliefs was against the rules from the start. Why did you pick 'Fool' for your username? You trying to prove I'm not a Christian? You failed.

omega2xx

Not when it comes to god....

WE teach our children there is no god. We teach them there is a God. We teach adults the same truth but have come to believe the secular world, instead of the true world.

Mt 18:3 - Truly, truly I say to you, unless your are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The problem here is that you are defining Christianity to mean believing Jesus is the Son of God. Christianity is a fellowship in his name..

No, it's not a fellowship of men. Or it would say any who believe Jesus is the Son of God dwells in the fellowship of men who believe Jesus is the Son of God. But what it actually says is this:

1 John 4:15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God.