• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ChristCraft

dsaly1969

In everyday life I tend to avoid the terms "witch" or "Wiccan" or "Christopagan", not because there is anything bad with any of them but because of all of the baggage that people attach to these words (especially as I live in a more conservative rural small town). So I practice ChristCraft which incorporates folk Christian devotional prayer practices involving a wide range of expressions along with a recognition of the Holy Spirit operating through the workings of Nature as well as through us to help ourselves and others. ChristCraft promotes an inclusive and Ultimate Reconciliation understanding of salvation through Jesus Christ (aka Christian Universalism). We are ALL saved through the grace, wisdom, and love of God through the Atonement. As per the Great Commandment taught by Jesus Christ, we should try to love others (and ourselves), no matter their ethnicity, sexual orientation, political affiliation, gender, religious persuasion, etc. as much as God loves us. If we did this we would be living in Zion (the Kingdom of God here on Earth). I view the Holy Trinity as God the Father, Holy Spirit the Mother, and Jesus the Son. The Trinity is the embodiment of the Great Commandment in divine community. We should reject any doctrines, teachings, or interpretations which would contradict the Great Commandment or would try to exclude certain groups of others from the all-embracing grace of God.

I honor the Christian Liturgical Calendar as it corresponds with the seasonal Wheel of the Year, and make use of various sacramentals from Catholic and other Christian traditions in my workings on behalf of myself and others. The Western Catholic liturgical calendar was laid on top of an existing pagan calendar so Samhain is All Saints'/All Souls Day, Yule is Christmas (incorporate Advent), Imbolc is Candlemas (Feast of the Presentation of Our Lord), Ostara is Easter (incorporate Lent), Beltane or May Day (May has traditionally been associated with celebrations of Mary and the presentation of flowers to her), Litha is the Feast of St. John the Baptist, Lammas is the Feast of First Fruits (usually fresh baked breads were brought to the church or you could move your celebration to the Assumption of Our Lady on August 15), Mabon (I would use the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows on Sept. 15 personally).

And Catholic sacramentals work very well for petitionary prayers (what some might call "magick" or "spells" - again, loaded with baggage). Rosaries, novenas, Saint Devotions, praying the Psalms (common in Hoodoo, for example) could be correlated with the type of working you are doing whether asking for healing or guidance or protection, for example. There is a whole body of Catholic folk (magick) traditions.

In terms of ritual I go back to the roots of some of the rituals one finds in Wicca. These were adapted and simplified from Western ceremonial magick (Golden Dawn, et al) which had been adapted from earlier Freemasonry which has roots in the Judeo-Christian heritage anyways. I avoid tools and techniques which are explicitly Wiccan - like athames and drawing a circle. My tools are simple: a cup or chalice and a clay dish for communion, and maybe a candle, some incense, and a cross or crucifix. In my ceremonies I honor the four Archangels in the four cardinal directions (Raphael in the East - representing Air, Michael in the South - representing Fire, Gabriel in the West representing Water, and Uriel in the North representing Earth). I then pray and call upon the Holy Trinity to guide and watch over me. I may do readings from the Old Testament, pray a psalm, a reading from the Letters, and then a reading from the Gospel which is appropriate for the day. Then a short and simple Communion remembrance service may be appropriate. I then may pray the Lord's Prayer. This is followed up by petitionary prayers for myself and others where I may use a particular psalm, or prayer a Rosary or Chaplet, or certain prayers either already written or which I came up with myself. Others like to pray while knitting or another craft project or while silently meditating or other techniques. This ends with a prayer of thanksgiving and gratitude.

Last edited:

dsaly1969

I fail to see what in this belief is Wiccan.

While I tend to avoid the term "Wiccan", the view of the Christian Trinity as God the Father (transcendent - masculine aspect), Holy Spirit or Sophia the Mother (immanent - feminine aspect), and Christ as Divine Child has the God/Goddess polarity seen in Wicca. In particular according to the Book of Acts, after the Ascension of Jesus to Heaven after he taught the disciples of 40 days after His Resurrection, He said we would receive ongoing guidance through the workings of the Holy Spirit (this is often referred to as Sophia which means "Wisdom" and is the feminine aspect of the Christian Trinity which operates immanently in the world - through the workings of Nature and through intuitive guidance if we listen to her promptings). Plus the Wheel of the Year is celebrated through the Liturgical Calendar. And "magick" through the usage of folk Christian practices (such as patron Saints and chanting psalms which correspond to the type of working) and sacramentals is utilized. Since Wicca which was invented by Gardner in the 1940's borrowed their ritual format from Judeo-Christian ceremonial magick and Masonic traditions (instead of the votive worship offerings one sees in more traditional pagan paths like Asatru), the ritual format that I postulate is also very similar to mainstream Wicca.

Communion is functionally the Great Rite (aka Cakes and Ale). And if one was truly practicing the Great Commandment, one would also by definition by following the Wiccan Rede.

ChristCraft is also Universalist (this is what Ultimate Reconciliation means) and does not teach the doctrine of eternal damnation/punishment in Hell (which is a concept some early Christians brought in from certain ancient pagan belief systems).

Note - I don't believe this is a Debate forum but hopefully this will clarify.

Last edited:

EverChanging

That is interesting. I have similar approaches in some ways, though the neopagan aspects of my practice are not Wiccan based, but more similar to devotional polytheism.