• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christ Overules Old Testament?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Many years ago a friend of mine came out of his rehab with a devotion to Christianity that he learned while there.

He once told me that Jesus over ruled everything in the Old Testament and that something was torn (a curtain?) to signify this.

I can't remember the details and I can't find it in the New Testament. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

Bishka

Veteran Member
To me Jesus fufilled the Mosiac law, but that doesn't mean that I don't still follow the 10 Commandments.

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Jesus fulfilled the Law of the Torah - brought it to it's natural conclusion by being the definitive substitutionary(sp?) sacrifice for our sins. This essentially meant that God could exploit a loopwhole in the DJS (Divine Justice System ^^) that allowed him to be merciful without breaking any of his own laws.

The curtain tearing incident occurs in all of the synoptic gospels (Mark 15:38, Matthew 27:51 and Luke 23:45) and is when the spirit of God leaves the Holy of Holies in the Temple. I always assume this to be symbolic of how God's authority and presence no longer rests within the corpus of the Temple - rather it is now distributed to all believers.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
For some Christians, Jesus overrules a number of the Judaic tribal laws of the Old Testament--fulfilling a need for sacrifice, for instance--for others, he overrules only that which inconveniences them.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Elvendon said:
I always assume this to be symbolic of how God's authority and presence no longer rests within the corpus of the Temple - rather it is now distributed to all believers.
I disagree. I don't believe God ever gave His authority to all believers. As a matter of fact, Paul speaks of a very specific organization founded on prophets and apostles and states that this organization is to remain intact until we all come unto a unity of our faith. With all believers holding the same authority, that unity would be very unlikely to happen.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Super Universe said:
He once told me that Jesus over ruled everything in the Old Testament and that something was torn (a curtain?) to signify this.

I can't remember the details and I can't find it in the New Testament. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

Sure, we were taught that in Sunday School in the church I was raised in. Curtain and everything.

Though strictly speaking, Jesus didn't "overrule" everything in the Tenach. It just meant Christians weren't obliged to follow all of the Levital laws.

The first 10 were somehow kept, but I have no knowledge of Christian tradition regarding this. JamesthePersian or Victor might know more on that subject.

In my religion, we believe that Jesus abrogated certain laws that didn't apply to the times or modified ones so they would work better in the current situation. The change in divorce and dietary laws would be examples of the latter.

Other laws, being more universally applicable, stayed the same. Things like the 10 Commandments are pretty universal.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
He once told me that Jesus over ruled everything in the Old Testament and that something was torn (a curtain?) to signify this
Matt. 27:51
Mark 15:38
Luke 23:45

Each of those verses contains the phrase "...the veil was rent..."

In Exodus it was said that God would meet and commune with Moses from above the mercy seat(on the Ark of the Covenant), and that the veil was to seperate the holy place from the most holy(where God would meet with Moses).

I was taught in Bible school that the veil ripping meant that God would no longer commune/lead/reside above the mercy seat atop the Ark, instead He would be within us all...

Pertaining to the original question, I was taught that Jesus removed the ceremonial laws, and that we keep the moral ones...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mister Emu said:
Pertaining to the original question, I was taught that Jesus removed the ceremonial laws, and that we keep the moral ones...
That's interesting. I'd never really stopped to think of it that way, but I'd agree with you for the most part. Of course there are some laws that kind of cross over between ceremonial and moral.

Ronald

Yes, that is what Christianity teaches, but there are so many contradictions to their teachings, some one mentioned the ten commandments, well very few keep the fourth. someone mentioned the ceremonial laws, yet Paul kept the ceremonial laws well after the assention. So either he did away with Torah or he didn't, well there is not one shred of evidence he done away with any of Torah, the bible states unmincingly the Torah is perfect. And we will be reenacting the ceremonial laws when he returns. Yes the veil was rent! Does it say anything about what was ment by this event? No! Theologians surmise! Does that make it Gospel? Not in my book.
Yeshua and Yeseyaho/Isaiah said it is the precepts of men!
Yeshua said not one jot or title shall pass from the torah, and the sun came up this AM, so it is all pertinant today as it was when he said it. So take the advise of Yeshua and keep the commandments. You'll be glad you did!

Shalom

lunamoth

Will to love
My understanding of the torn curtain is that it represents a huge paradigm shift in the relationship between humans and God, and between humans and the Law. We have all been reconciled with God, and we are now only 'bound' to the two Laws, which are One Law, the Law of Love. And it's not really a law so much as it is the Way.

As a friend says, 613 are in the 10, the 10 are in the 2, and the 2 are in the one. And the one is the Way.

2 c,
lunamoth