• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing beliefs

JChnsc19

I have heard the argument you choose your beliefs. I sincerely don’t see this. And am hoping you can explain it to me. I really don’t do philosophy so if you could explain it in more of a black & white, scientific way that would be groovy. I’ll give some examples:
I don’t believe the moon is made of green cheese although I have never been to the moon.

I believe the sky is blue, well the base color. I know it’s also red; or white when clouds are out. What I’m saying is I believe it’s blue & not plaid.

I believe baby shampoo can wash more than babies.

I believe the sun is out in the daytime even when it’s behind a cloud or storming & cant be seen.

I believe peanuts are an ingredient in peanut butter even though I’ve never seen it be made.

I’m not looking to debate the above points. What I’m asking is how is it that I choose those beliefs? I don’t believe that. I think I’ve seen or read evidence that supports the above. I don’t think I would believe - you can only wash babies with baby shampoo- even if I read 1,000 expert books saying so. Please educate me.

Shantanu

I have heard the argument you choose your beliefs. I sincerely don’t see this. And am hoping you can explain it to me. I really don’t do philosophy so if you could explain it in more of a black & white, scientific way that would be groovy. I’ll give some examples:
I don’t believe the moon is made of green cheese although I have never been to the moon.

I believe the sky is blue, well the base color. I know it’s also red; or white when clouds are out. What I’m saying is I believe it’s blue & not plaid.

I believe the sun is out in the daytime even when it’s behind a cloud or storming & cant be seen.

I believe peanuts are an ingredient in peanut butter even though I’ve never seen it be made.

I’m not looking to debate the above points. What I’m asking is how is it that I choose those beliefs? I don’t believe that. I think I’ve seen or read evidence that supports the above. I don’t think I would believe - you can only wash babies with baby shampoo- even if I read 1,000 expert books saying so. Please educate me.
Sattvic people are always in the process of assessing their own views on any matter: do you classify yourself as sattvic,rajasic or tamasic?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
spiritual belief

When it come to belief it is important to find more then one sourse of information, then either listening or reading about it, then one take all this in to account and ask one self, what does this mean to me, is this what i do belive? what does to my life.

then after a ot of thinking the belief arise of its own. and the wisdom arise the more we understand the belief

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have heard the argument you choose your beliefs. I sincerely don’t see this.

I agree with you. We have experiences, those experiences influence us, and beliefs develop, out of repeated experiences that lead to the same conclusion. Each day you look at the sky it's blue. If it was one day red, you would no longer believe it was blue.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

It is my belief that most people follow the belief of their parents.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, I choose to believe that Federer is the best tennis player, while my friend chooses to believe that Nadal is the best. That seems like a choice, does it not?

JChnsc19

Well, I choose to believe that Federer is the best tennis player, while my friend chooses to believe that Nadal is the best. That seems like a choice, does it not?
I don’t think it’s a choice. You may prefer the player to always be winning while your friend may have a preference of technique. I wouldn’t think either of you are wrong. I may like a completely different player & I wouldn’t think that was wrong either. There’s a reason baskin Robbins has 32(?) flavors

JChnsc19

Sattvic people are always in the process of assessing their own views on any matter: do you classify yourself as sattvic,rajasic or tamasic?
I had to look that stuff up. From what I read, I would say Sattvic. And yes I am always re-evaluating my beliefs.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think it is possible to choose one's beliefs. One's truths come as a result of experience, one's perception and assessments of said experiences, and conclusions, logical or otherwise, that one comes to based upon them.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

It is, but I think that is less a choice of what to believe than it is a view based on experience and bias based on experience.

Clearly, one is the best from an objective standpoint, but subjectively (which is the basis of belief) there is a disparity in how you and your friend are assessing what qualities make one the best.

joe1776

Your examples are all conclusions you reached by reasoning from evidence. You began by being persuaded by the evidence of some fact (peanut butter is comprised of squashed peanuts). So, saying that you chose those beliefs would be a poor choice of words to describe your demonstration.

But, a religious belief isn't a conclusion drawn from facts in evidence. There are many scenarios where it would be appropriate to say that someone chose their religion.

Audie

Veteran Member

"Choosing to believe" is just self deception.

Audie

Veteran Member
Your examples are all conclusions you reached by reasoning from evidence. You began by being persuaded by the evidence of some fact (peanut butter is comprised of squashed peanuts). So, saying that you chose those beliefs would be a poor choice of words to describe your demonstration.

But, a religious belief isn't a conclusion drawn from facts in evidence. There are many scenarios where it would be appropriate to say that someone chose their religion.

Absolutely! There is probably no limit at all to
the human power of self-deception.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Do you choose to believe that your boss will pay you at the end of the week or do you choose not to believe it? And if you didn't "choose", how did you come to that conclusion?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I have heard the argument you choose your beliefs. I sincerely don’t see this. And am hoping you can explain it to me. I really don’t do philosophy so if you could explain it in more of a black & white, scientific way that would be groovy.

Some do choose their beliefs based on logic and reasoning. But my deepest beliefs in a sense chose me.

To try to frame it as you asked, it's like one day hearing the most beautiful music you ever heard and recognizing the beauty of the music. Then, naturally, you are attracted to hearing more music like that and seek out concerts that evoke that same beauty.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is, but I think that is less a choice of what to believe than it is a view based on experience and bias based on experience.

Clearly, one is the best from an objective standpoint, but subjectively (which is the basis of belief) there is a disparity in how you and your friend are assessing what qualities make one the best.
There are always reasons and causes for belief. I would consider something a choice it is based on my own likes, dislikes, preferences etc.

GoodbyeDave

First let us distinguish between belief and knowledge. If I say that I believe that X is Y, and it turns out that it isn't, it was still true that I believed it. But if I'd said that I knew X was Y, then that statement was false I didn't know, I merely believed that I knew. So saying that you believe that peanut butter actually contains peanuts is unnecessarily weak: you know that it does.

In the context of religion, some religions are indeed beliefs. You cannot know that Jesus rose from the dead as there are no eye-witness reports.

Knowledge can come from personal experience or reliable testimony. If I say that I know that X is Y, then either I claim to have reliable evidence or I claim to have been informed by some-one else who has such evidence. You know that peanut butter contains peanuts because it tastes of peanuts: if you want to be sure, crush some peanuts in a mortar and compare the result to what's in the jar you bought.

Obviously you can choose beliefs in a way that you can't choose knowledge. If you want to believe something, you will. Look at the evolution-deniers on this site. They do not know that evolution didn't happen, but they believe it. Unlike knowledge, belief doesn't depend on evidence or testimony. If you wish to believe, you can always find arguments to explain away embarrassing facts.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Belief is in regards to the unknown right. Nobody has to rely on belief when they actually know.

Belief either happens to you, or it does not. I cant possibly choose to believe or disbelieve something.

Does any belief have basis or cause to justify it? I am sure some beliefs can serve a purpose at times but at other times ' i dont know' will suffice for me.

Choosing to believe something, sounds false to me.

Last edited:

JChnsc19

First let us distinguish between belief and knowledge. If I say that I believe that X is Y, and it turns out that it isn't, it was still true that I believed it. But if I'd said that I knew X was Y, then that statement was false I didn't know, I merely believed that I knew. So saying that you believe that peanut butter actually contains peanuts is unnecessarily weak: you know that it does.

In the context of religion, some religions are indeed beliefs. You cannot know that Jesus rose from the dead as there are no eye-witness reports.

Knowledge can come from personal experience or reliable testimony. If I say that I know that X is Y, then either I claim to have reliable evidence or I claim to have been informed by some-one else who has such evidence. You know that peanut butter contains peanuts because it tastes of peanuts: if you want to be sure, crush some peanuts in a mortar and compare the result to what's in the jar you bought.

Obviously you can choose beliefs in a way that you can't choose knowledge. If you want to believe something, you will. Look at the evolution-deniers on this site. They do not know that evolution didn't happen, but they believe it. Unlike knowledge, belief doesn't depend on evidence or testimony. If you wish to believe, you can always find arguments to explain away embarrassing facts.
I know that believing something doesn’t mean that it’s real. I can have a schizophrenic patient who believes he is the tzar of Russia. He wholeheartedly believes it yet it’s not true. I’m an atheist & have heard once or twice on this forum a theist say you choose what you believe. So theist- can you choose to not believe like I do & be sincere about it & believe it completely? That’s what I’m hoping for- that one of them can explain that to me.

Theists- can you believe in the tooth fairy? Can you believe your children aren’t yours? Can you believe aliens take you away every night to San Francisco & have you back by morning if you have 0 beliefs in aliens?

I don’t get it....