• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing a Religious Path

WillEast

Premium Member
Hi All,

I wanted to hear other people's experiences and feedback regarding choosing a spiritual path. I have been a seeker for about 15 years. I grew up a Catholic but had a curiosity to study other religions. I have spent time with the Hare Krishnas, Sikhs, Eckankar among others. I do have a desire to focus on one path since each requires commitment but I am not ready to choose a path. I am not sure which one is right for me. Have others been through this experience before? It is hard to know whether just to choose one or study different ones until I am sure I have found my path. Thank-you,

-Bill

Choosing such a thing is a big mistake. It's not like going shopping. When you encounter a certain path, it either fires you up or it doesn't.
You may investigate many things, which in itself is useful, but you don't choose so much as it chooses you.

I can tell by your 'resume' that you are very interested in spirituality, but nothing has clicked yet.
I was connected with Eckankar, too, and likewise, though very interesting, it didn't do it for me either. A rung on the ladder.

Taoism may suit. Simple, direct, free, and natural. It's not for show. And not easily grasped, for a Westerner.
But as a way of integrating seamlessly into life, nothing else comes close.

WillEast

Premium Member
Choosing such a thing is a big mistake. It's not like going shopping. When you encounter a certain path, it either fires you up or it doesn't.
You may investigate many things, which in itself is useful, but you don't choose so much as it chooses you.

I can tell by your 'resume' that you are very interested in spirituality, but nothing has clicked yet.
I was connected with Eckankar, too, and likewise, though very interesting, it didn't do it for me either. A rung on the ladder.

Taoism may suit. Simple, direct, free, and natural. It's not for show. And not easily grasped, for a Westerner.
But as a way of integrating seamlessly into life, nothing else comes close.

Your answer made a lot of sense. Choosing a religion doesn't seem as useful as when the religion chooses me. I think it will take more time for me to practice different techniques before I find my path.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I wanted to hear other people's experiences and feedback regarding choosing a spiritual path. I have been a seeker for about 15 years. I grew up a Catholic but had a curiosity to study other religions. I have spent time with the Hare Krishnas, Sikhs, Eckankar among others. I do have a desire to focus on one path since each requires commitment but I am not ready to choose a path. I am not sure which one is right for me. Have others been through this experience before? It is hard to know whether just to choose one or study different ones until I am sure I have found my path.
Yes I was a seeker and switched paths many times. Each time took decades but I learned the ins and outs in great detail. I think the best approach is to always consider yourself a seeker; there is no final utopian goal awaiting, just another path to follow for that day.