• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing a Religion Does God Care?

Does God Lead us to a Faith that will draw us closer to God?

• Yes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • God does not care about Religion

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's an excellent question!

Through the ages I believe God has revealed Himself through His Manifestations... the great Prophets and Messengers..and through Them has provided humankind with teachings that meet the greatest need of humanity at various epochs in our developement.

So today when we are poised to envision a more united world with a communication system that unites the planet and realize the economic inter-dependence of the planet a great deal is expected of us... such as

building the foundations for a world civilization..

establsihing universal education for the planet..

Choosing a universal auxiliary language..

Establishing a representative world parliament...

Working fo rthe equality of men and women and

Reducing the extremes of wealth and poverty

If we expend our efforts toward the above goals I believe we will be closer to fulfilling the Lord's Prayer and help bring the Kingdom of God to the earth...
Why would these even be a worthy goal? Global peace, ending global poverty, and global preservation are worthy goals, but not only is religion not needed for these goals, why should there be one auxiliary language? English almost is a universal language, and all it took was colonization, and global trade and interactions (for better or ill), and today even many small tribes that only missionaries and anthropologist visit on a regular basis understand a handful of English (not too mention that English is considered an easy language to learn). Granted religious orders did play a small role, but there are many other secular based organizations that make humanitarian efforts towards these remote areas, so it is likely English would have spread to these remote areas anyways.

Erebus

Personally I feel religion is much more for our benefit than the benefit of the gods. From this perspective it's important not only to follow a religion you have an affinity for, but that it also improves your life rather than demand sacrifice for little/no return. For the record I don't consider a possible afterlife to be a return either.
Now I'm not saying all sacrifice is a bad thing, only that what you give up has to be something you can enjoy life without and also it must be worth sacrificing. For example, I find the LDS sacrifice of alcohol, nicotine and caffeine much more sensible than abstinence before marriage. In the LHP one of the first sacrifices you make is your emotional and psychological comfort zone, personally I found that to be a worthwhile sacrifice.
It might sound odd, but to my mind the gods come second to this balance of loss/gain. I also doubt they much care what path we follow or even whether it helps us or not.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I said yes but:

1- I believe god does everything, including human choices

and

2- I find it more probable that a different religion helps you reailze God on different of your incarnations ;)

InChrist

Free4ever
Do you believe that God leads us to whatever religion that will bring us closer to him?

I believe God wants relationship not religion and He draws people to Himself.

And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself. John 12;32

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you believe that God leads us to whatever religion that will bring us closer to him?
I can't vote, since three of the options are equally valid.

As a panentheist, I don't believe God cares what path you walk, so long as you progress.

uu_sage

God is beyond our human comprehension and naming so to assign God a religion or any human identity is idolatrous and constraining. God I believe is more concerned about treating other people fairly, lovingly and compassionately rather than obsessing over what religion you are or your lack thereof.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Even if god did care what religion you chose, it can't be called worshipping god in sincerity and honesty if you stick with a religion you know you don't believe.

The only way to approach god honestly in total sincerity is through what you do believe :)

Jesus tried to lead the Pharisees into right belief but they held on to their own belies instead. For al their sincerity He still called tehm a brood of serpents.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think geography, parents, and access to information, are the main factors in what leads a person to a given religion.

I knew a Roman Catholic person who felt God leading him away from the Catholic Church. The problem was that God was not leading him to any particular protestant group. Sometimes He does that to teach us that getting out of one situation doesn't guarantee that the next one will be perfect.