• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing a Religion Does God Care?

Does God Lead us to a Faith that will draw us closer to God?

• Yes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • God does not care about Religion

Votes: 15 39.5%

• Total voters

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
if god were all good then religion matters not

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Even if god did care what religion you chose, it can't be called worshipping god in sincerity and honesty if you stick with a religion you know you don't believe.

The only way to approach god honestly in total sincerity is through what you do believe :)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think geography, parents, and access to information, are the main factors in what leads a person to a given religion.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I don't think God is leading us there, but I do think that many of us are drawn to specific religions.

I know people who have converted for odd reasons: marriage, inheritance, social pressure....

And I know people who have converted and feel like it was what was meant to be. This is how it was for me; once I started to learn about Judaism and began to attend services, there wasn't anywhere else I could have felt like I belonged.

Of course I have nothing to back it up, but I think we are drawn to certain forms of worship. Just like different teaching methods work with varying success on different people, I think different forms of worship are more effective for different people. Some of us are going find a better connection with God in Judaism, others in Christianity, others in Hinduism.

I know that in Judaism, it is said that every Jewish soul, past, present, and future, was at Sinai; some believe that converts are people with Jewish souls who are born to non-Jewish families. I don't know if that how it works, but it kinda makes sense to me when I think back on my life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The Carpenter has been my Inspiration.
However, every prophet that spoke well of God, stands well before God.

So which do you prefer and does it matter?....nay.

If your prophet has entered into heaven, and you are sure of yourself as well...
no problem.

I gave up religion because I don't think it matters.

Dogmatic belief is little more than recital.....
There are no works of the hand that will justify you before God....
Hiding in a congregation won't work...

Ultimately, it's that way you think and feel.
Want to walk among angels?
Say as they say...do as they do.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
A code of behavior...and fair warning.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Even if God is a Jealous god, trying to search god out and never reaching would make any ego-maniac very happy.

Sgloom

if there is a god, i dont believe it matters to him whether we believe in him or not, or whatever that concept of god actually is.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
Do you believe that God leads us to whatever religion that will bring us closer to him?

Um, of whom/what/which God(s) are we supposed to believe leads anyone to anything anywhere?

Quetzalcoatl, Zeus, Ra, Odin, Yaweh?

Perhaps if "GOD" would do mankind the favor of just telling us exactly which religion were the "correct" one (you know, like a rearranging of the stars in the cosmos detailing the "only" true answer), adherents would finally get to the one place of worship needed to cash in their redemption chips.

At least if that happened, we might then accurately identify those in rebellion of "God's" revealed street address and Facebook page (where "Likes" and "Dislikes" would truly matter I suppose).

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Even if god did care what religion you chose, it can't be called worshipping god in sincerity and honesty if you stick with a religion you know you don't believe.

The only way to approach god honestly in total sincerity is through what you do believe :)
I second this; I do not believe God cares about one's religion.

arthra

Baha'i
Do you believe that God leads us to whatever religion that will bring us closer to him?

That's an excellent question!

Through the ages I believe God has revealed Himself through His Manifestations... the great Prophets and Messengers..and through Them has provided humankind with teachings that meet the greatest need of humanity at various epochs in our developement.

So today when we are poised to envision a more united world with a communication system that unites the planet and realize the economic inter-dependence of the planet a great deal is expected of us... such as

building the foundations for a world civilization..

establsihing universal education for the planet..

Choosing a universal auxiliary language..

Establishing a representative world parliament...

Working fo rthe equality of men and women and

Reducing the extremes of wealth and poverty

If we expend our efforts toward the above goals I believe we will be closer to fulfilling the Lord's Prayer and help bring the Kingdom of God to the earth...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If there really is a god, given the complexity of the human brain and psychological processes, and the sheer vastness of the universe (and maybe multiple universes), I really doubt this said entity would really care about what people choose to believe in.

s2a

That's an excellent question!

Through the ages I believe God has revealed Himself through His Manifestations... the great Prophets and Messengers..and through Them has provided humankind with teachings that meet the greatest need of humanity at various epochs in our developement.

So today when we are poised to envision a more united world with a communication system that unites the planet and realize the economic inter-dependence of the planet a great deal is expected of us... such as

building the foundations for a world civilization..

establsihing universal education for the planet..

Choosing a universal auxiliary language..

Establishing a representative world parliament...

Working fo rthe equality of men and women and

Reducing the extremes of wealth and poverty

If we expend our efforts toward the above goals I believe we will be closer to fulfilling the Lord's Prayer and help bring the Kingdom of God to the earth...

I note that none of the idealistic goals you state above, have any need of theistic beliefs to achieve or eventually realize...

...none.

Just saying... :)

F0uad

I personally think that if you are looking for god with a sincere mind and heart he will also reach out to you, for your sack.

arthra

Baha'i
I note that none of the idealistic goals you state above, have any need of theistic beliefs to achieve or eventually realize...

...none.

Just saying... :)

You join in and support these idealistic goals and later perhaps discover their origin..

s2a

You join in and support these idealistic goals and later perhaps discover their origin..

Any claims I would offer as evidential support would only seem self-serving in reply...

I volunteer my time to causes and ideals that best suit my sensibilities and capacities, which seem to originate from within, not without...

Honestly, I do not believe in a grand scorekeeper in the sky, nor in obtaining absolution or avoidance of "ultimate" judgement.

Just doin' what I can, while I can, because I can. Existence is fleeting, and it's just us in the here and now that will ever give a damn about one another. One hundred years from now, no one will know, or care.

I'm good with that.:)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
It's a nice thought. Some people feel an affinity to certain cultures or regions by instinct or inspiration. But in general if a God exist, I think that our religious beliefs would be like toys for children in a vast universe, and God would be more interested in individual creativity.