• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Choosing a pantheon

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
How does one choose which pantheon to follow? I know it's not a requirement, but I don't know much about the differences in the stories of the pantheons.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
How does choose which pantheon to follow? I know it's not a requirement, but I don't know much about the differences in the stories of the pantheons.

If you don't know much about the stories of the Pantheons, then I recommend that you start there. Pick a tradition that interests you (Celtic, Greek, Roman, Norse, etc), or that you have a slight understanding of, and then read a collection of myths from that culture. You may have to look up meanings and pronunciation as you read, but that is part of being Pagan, we have to do a lot of the leg work ourselves, because these are recreations of the past, and not direct links to.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
If you don't know much about the stories of the Pantheons, then I recommend that you start there. Pick a tradition that interests you (Celtic, Greek, Roman, Norse, etc), or that you have a slight understanding of, and then read a collection of myths from that culture. You may have to look up meanings and pronunciation as you read, but that is part of being Pagan, we have to do a lot of the leg work ourselves, because these are recreations of the past, and not direct links to.

Just ordered some books on Norse, Celtic and Greek myth.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know much about the differences in historically recognized pantheons either.

Then again, my tradition really focuses on what is local to me. I live in America, so there is no pantheon or body of lore for the gods here I can draw upon anyway. I have to build everything from scratch, which suits me just fine.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I don't know much about the differences in historically recognized pantheons either.

Then again, my tradition really focuses on what is local to me. I live in America, so there is no pantheon or body of lore for the gods here I can draw upon anyway. I have to build everything from scratch, which suits me just fine.

Why not utilize Native American deities and such, since they are intimately tied to this country (America)? I've thought about that for similar reasons, but ultimately don't use Native American gods.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Why not utilize Native American deities and such, since they are intimately tied to this country (America)? I've thought about that for similar reasons, but ultimately don't use Native American gods.

Unfortunately, native American tribes do not like outsiders taking their religion. It's more a cultural thing, which is pretty common in some religions.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, native American tribes do not like outsiders taking their religion. It's more a cultural thing, which is pretty common in some religions.

This is pretty much why. I'd also still be a cultural outsider. I respect them far too much to step on their toes. That's not to say I won't draw inspiration from their cultural lore, but drawing upon lore and being immersed in the culture that developed it are simply not the same.

How does one choose which pantheon to follow? I know it's not a requirement, but I don't know much about the differences in the stories of the pantheons.

I don't have a specific pantheon, instead I revere specific deities that I've felt particularly drawn or connected to. Most of those I've chosen are Celtic, mostly due to my heritage being mostly Welsh and Irish and my interest in learning about them. I also stand in an odd place on what I believe, exactly. I do believe in spiritual forces, and I choose to revere specific deities (largely in a poetic manner) out of respect for the past that many tried desperately to erase. Described in more specific detail below (if you happen to be interested):

• Brigid: often identified as a triple goddess of sisters, I specifically feel a connection to her as a patron of poets as well as a healer and protector.
  • The Morrigan: another triple goddess (a common theme, especially for Celts). Often viewed in a negative light, but I see her as a source of determination/resolve.
  • Ahura Mazda: After I de-converted from Christianity, I drifted towards Zoroastrianism and it resonated quite strongly with me. Ahura Mazda is a reminder, to me, to try to be a better, more compassionate person every day. "Good Words. Good Thoughts. Good Deeds."
  • Arawn: the Welsh god of the otherworld, which is viewed as a realm of plenty and peace. I don't believe in any afterlife, but to me he represents a reminder that our time on this planet is limited and that it shouldn't be taken for granted.
  • Apollo: to me, he embodies self-discipline as well as being a patron of music and the arts (which is important to me)
  • Dionysus/Bacchus: because self-discipline is great, but sometimes you need to cut loose :p all things in balance.
  • The Dagda: the leader of the Irish pantheon and the father of Brigid. Also the patron of druids and is deeply tied to nature
Do I truly believe these gods exist? It’s a difficult question that I grapple with at times. I don't believe in the old legends, not that I dismiss them entirely (they often contain good lessons or at the least are entertaining). We can see through archaeological and linguistic study that really all of the gods I mentioned are of Proto-Indo-European origin. So, really, perhaps all of their pantheons could all be considered reflections of the same entities, if such entities did exist. I would go a step further, though, and say that all gods (regardless of origin or culture) are likely reflections of the same spiritual forces. But who can truly know?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't have a specific pantheon, instead I revere specific deities that I've felt particularly drawn or connected to. Most of those I've chosen are Celtic, mostly due to my heritage being mostly Welsh and Irish and my interest in learning about them. I also stand in an odd place on what I believe, exactly. I do believe in spiritual forces, and I choose to revere specific deities (largely in a poetic manner) out of respect for the past that many tried desperately to erase. Described in more specific detail below (if you happen to be interested):

• Brigid: often identified as a triple goddess of sisters, I specifically feel a connection to her as a patron of poets as well as a healer and protector.
  • The Morrigan: another triple goddess (a common theme, especially for Celts). Often viewed in a negative light, but I see her as a source of determination/resolve.
  • Ahura Mazda: After I de-converted from Christianity, I drifted towards Zoroastrianism and it resonated quite strongly with me. Ahura Mazda is a reminder, to me, to try to be a better, more compassionate person every day. "Good Words. Good Thoughts. Good Deeds."
  • Arawn: the Welsh god of the otherworld, which is viewed as a realm of plenty and peace. I don't believe in any afterlife, but to me he represents a reminder that our time on this planet is limited and that it shouldn't be taken for granted.
  • Apollo: to me, he embodies self-discipline as well as being a patron of music and the arts (which is important to me)
  • Dionysus/Bacchus: because self-discipline is great, but sometimes you need to cut loose :p all things in balance.
  • The Dagda: the leader of the Irish pantheon and the father of Brigid. Also the patron of druids and is deeply tied to nature
Do I truly believe these gods exist? It’s a difficult question that I grapple with at times. I don't believe in the old legends, not that I dismiss them entirely (they often contain good lessons or at the least are entertaining). We can see through archaeological and linguistic study that really all of the gods I mentioned are of Proto-Indo-European origin. So, really, perhaps all of their pantheons could all be considered reflections of the same entities, if such entities did exist. I would go a step further, though, and say that all gods (regardless of origin or culture) are likely reflections of the same spiritual forces. But who can truly know?

I am looking at the different pantheons to see which gods resonate with me. I like the Celtic gods, but also Norse, Egyptian and Hindu. I also looked at Zoroastrianism after leaving Christianity. I think because it is similar but also different enough to be intriguing. Great post!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Ugh, I really don't like the terms "utilize" and "use" when referring to interacting with deities. I find it very disrespectful, although I am certainly not claiming that is your intent. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Follow what interests you and comes most naturally to you. Make yourself open in mind and heart to the universe. Don't be afraid to follow deities from different cultures. You don't have to segregate yourself spiritually. However I do recommend looking into your own ancestral heritage first.

Last edited: