• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiristianity can be harmful to children.

Looncall

When I first saw an image of the crucifixion, I thought this was merely a symbol of man's inhumanity towards man. I didn't realize then this was a depiction of our Lord and Savior being tortured and rendered unconscious for our sins.

What did you think of the crucifixion when you first saw this image?

My daughter was taken to a catholic-run hospital in an emergency. The horrid.bloody crucifixes plastered all over the place horrified her. I wsep for youngsters exposed to them constantly.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
It was good for me. It made me grateful to know what Jesus Christ did.
I appreciate what Christ did for me, too. Honestly, without knowing him and His Father, I would be really, really confused about almost everything, but one thing that stands out is knowing right from wrong and doing what is right in God's eyes. For understanding that also I am very grateful.

YoursTrue

When I first saw an image of the crucifixion, I thought this was merely a symbol of man's inhumanity towards man. I didn't realize then this was a depiction of our Lord and Savior being tortured and rendered unconscious for our sins.

What did you think of the crucifixion when you first saw this image?
That's interesting, Salvador, because many young children see violence in an awful way (war, abuse, videos) without really knowing what they're seeing because it's part of life right now. And Jesus is the one that sacrificed his life and was blessed by his heavenly Father.

YoursTrue

I would use the term "some" over "massive".

For example, in Catholicism we're not scriptural literalists, plus it's recognized that there's very much a human element to be found within the scriptures. How much varies, but we are not anywhere near as literalistic as most fundamentalist Protestants or JW's for example..

Thus, what one could do as a Catholic would be to take what's in the Sermon On the Mount and pretty much just go with that to get at the inner core of what we should believe and do. I assume you're familiar with that, no?
Hello, metis. I was just thinking about Good Friday and fish in reference to literalism. I like cod fish, and around here where we live, many restaurants offer(ed) great fried fish on Friday. Also, I notice they offer(ed) clam chowder on Friday. Of course now with the stay-at-home decisions set by governments, I can only get nice friend cod fish from the drive through windows for those restaurants that didn't close down.
And then, confession, just thinking about that, too. It's kind of hard, don't you think, to explain our sins to others -- maybe not enough time to explain to a good friend what's going wrong. God, however, understands and we can always pray to him about these things once we understand more about Jesus and his sacrifice, don't you think?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
That's interesting, Salvador, because many young children see violence in an awful way (war, abuse, videos) without really knowing what they're seeing because it's part of life right now. And Jesus is the one that sacrificed his life and was blessed by his heavenly Father.

I was a bit bemused by the OP actually....young ones are raised with the most graphic and gratuitous violence in their entertainment these days. Video games and computer games, movies and TV shows...even cartoons contain more than a fair share of violence. I grew up with the Road Runner and Coyote doing dreadful things to one another. Disney had a real dark side to their cartoon stories as well. So what's with picking on depictions of Christ's death? At least it had a noble purpose. o_O

74x12

I was a bit bemused by the OP actually....young ones are raised with the most graphic and gratuitous violence in their entertainment these days. Video games and computer games, movies and TV shows...even cartoons contain more than a fair share of violence. I grew up with the Road Runner and Coyote doing dreadful things to one another. Disney had a real dark side to their cartoon stories as well. So what's with picking on depictions of Christ's death? At least it had a noble purpose. o_O
Good point.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Violence is violence and is unsuitable for children. And the Bible--with its dashing little ones against the rocks, rippingthe unborn from the womb, scorched earth amd genocide--provides no short supply of grizzly and gruesome violence. Disobey or we'll kill you, even if it's from a religious book it should be considered abuse.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And then, confession, just thinking about that, too. It's kind of hard, don't you think, to explain our sins to others -- maybe not enough time to explain to a good friend what's going wrong.
It's difficult at first, but then confessing is a way of repentance and getting some help if needed. Of course, one can confess to anyone, and that may accomplish a lot as well. I'm pretty much an "open book", so talking about my shortcomings is not that difficult for me to do.

74x12

Violence is violence and is unsuitable for children. And the Bible--with its dashing little ones against the rocks, rippingthe unborn from the womb, scorched earth amd genocide--provides no short supply of grizzly and gruesome violence. Disobey or we'll kill you, even if it's from a religious book it should be considered abuse.
Violence is a fact of life. If you're overly protective of your kids; they won't be prepared for real life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Violence is a fact of life. If you're overly protective of your kids; they won't be prepared for real life.
The Bible contains a scene of bears mauling people to death. It says to kill your child if theh worship another god. It says you can beat your slaves. Genocide is abundant. That's not the normal violence a child is ever likely to encounter, nit even as an adult. And, yes, it is different being a kid and seeing war on TV and then being told the god your being raised to follow is notoriously and savagely cruel to those who disobey. Even to a child one is far away and impersonal enough. Tbe other is very direct.

Does Christianity Harm Children?

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.
For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?

I think that is interesting, if Bible causes that kind of reaction. I was not scared of it.
I am actually very thankful that I had opportunity to read the Bible, one of the best things that have happened to me. And I think children see scarier things on TV and video games.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The Bible contains a scene of bears mauling people to death. It says to kill your child if theh worship another god. It says you can beat your slaves. Genocide is abundant. That's not the normal violence a child is ever likely to encounter, nit even as an adult. And, yes, it is different being a kid and seeing war on TV and then being told the god your being raised to follow is notoriously and savagely cruel to those who disobey. Even to a child one is far away and impersonal enough. Tbe other is very direct.

Where have you been? Children have always been exposed to violence all through history. You think the atrocities of war, conquest and slavery somehow spared the children? Why pick on the Bible as if today’s entertainment, like that of the Romans in the early centuries, isn’t gratuitous and disgusting? The violence and bloodshed may be virtual today but in some instances it translates to physical harm when the person becomes inured to it. Like sexual depravity, when a person ‘feeds’ on a steady diet of it, can only go on to acting out their fantasies in real life.

I don’t know anyone who teaches their kids that God is violent. But the Bible indicates that his justice is not tempered by sentiment. If one is guilty of transgressing his laws, and death is the penalty, then it will be carried out. He doesn't answer to us...we answer to him. People seem to forget that.

Jesus was God’s representative and he said that he was in every way like his God and Father. Was he angry on occasion? Yes he was, and rightly so. But he did not promote violence, he promoted peace and encouraged us to love even our enemies. Yet, when he comes as judge of this world, according to the Bible, he will have an army of executioners with him.....try pleading your case to them.

The Bible is an account of a different time in a different culture where these things were commonplace. To people of the nations who threatened his own, God presented himself as more powerful that their weak deities. How would Israel have fared if he hadn't?

God has laws and he holds people accountable....I for one am glad to have such a God looking out for me, rather than to trust humans with my future. At least I know what is coming and what follows in time. I have a hope that mitigates these troubled times where violence is revered and peace seems like an unattainable fantasy.

My view of God is nothing like yours....thankfully.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don’t know anyone who teaches their kids that God is violent.
It's very obvious that he is when you read the Bible. Noah's Ark? Drowning people is violent. The plagues on Egypt? Killing the first born is violence that is especially heinous. Sending you own son to be executed by torture? Wickedly and savagely violent.
Where have you been? Children have always been exposed to violence all through history.
That's no green flag to expose them to violence. It's something children should not be exposed to. That ot happens is a tragedy and no excuse to say oh well, expose them amyways.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
It's very obvious that he is when you read the Bible. Noah's Ark? Drowning people is violent. The plagues on Egypt? Killing the first born is violence that is especially heinous. Sending you own son to be executed by torture? Wickedly and savagely violent.

You forget why there is violence in the world in the first place.....God did not introduce it...humans did. Within one generation from Adam and his wife, there was a murderer. Cain killed his brother violently. This is what happens when sin drives human behavior. We are simply reaping what we have sown.

Flooding the world to get rid of the violence and immorality that had gotten out of hand in Noah's day was necessary at that time because of demonic intervention in human lives. Drowning by all accounts, is not a particularly violent or unpleasant way to die. Taking the life of the firstborn in Egypt spoke of no violence....just death. Jesus experience, at the hands of man was conducted with God's permission so that he could not be accused of interfering with what humans (under influence from the devil) wanted to do to his son to break his integrity and have him fail to fulfill his mission. Job's experience teaches us that satan is the one behind our suffering. He is the one who tries people with evil, not God. (James 1:13-15)

That's no green flag to expose them to violence. It's something children should not be exposed to. That ot happens is a tragedy and no excuse to say oh well, expose them amyways.

The fact that God did not spare us the consequences of our actions has created a record of human behavior in defiance of God's commands. It separates the obedient ones from the disobedient ones who think that they can do as they please. These are the "sheep and the goats". Their destiny is already set by their own choices.

If God is the Creator and owner of this planet, then he gets to set the rules, not us. If you had rented out your property to tenants who were trashing the place and causing harm to their neighbors, would you let them stay? Or would you evict them, repair the damage, and then invite tenants who you knew would take care of your property in accordance with the tenancy agreement?

Since there is no point in keeping disobedient rebels in existence, why would God preserve their lives? They have proven that his gift is not respected and neither is he. I have no problem with his exercise of justice.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You forget why there is violence in the world in the first place....
You forgot when I said that is no excuse to expose children to violence. Are you going to send them to the factories to work as children? That is the adult life, after all.
Since there is no point in keeping disobedient rebels in existence, why would God preserve their lives?
Because he's weak, impotent, or more likely given his lust for blood in the Bible, he's just not real since he's not commanded mass genocide or just butchered a ton of people himself in a very long time. Which is another issue that makes the Bible inappropriate for children. Love is not anger, jealousy, rage, or genocide. Children should not learn those things are associated with love, compassion, and mercy. Because they just aren't.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You forgot when I said that is no excuse to expose children to violence. Are you going to send them to the factories to work as children? That is the adult life, after all.

What does that have to do with the conversation? The ones who expose children to violence are humans. The ones who enslave small children are humans.....your point is...?

Because he's weak, impotent, or more likely given his lust for blood in the Bible, he's just not real since he's not commanded mass genocide or just butchered a ton of people himself in a very long time. Which is another issue that makes the Bible inappropriate for children. Love is not anger, jealousy, rage, or genocide. Children should not learn those things are associated with love, compassion, and mercy. Because they just aren't.

If you say so.....I don't have the temerity to dictate to my Maker how he should feel or how he should act....what makes you think he needs our approval to do with his own property as he sees fit? If you don't want what he is offering, then he will not force himself on you. But the thing is, he has no need of those who can't do as they are told. We only exist by his permission.....you know...something about biting the hand that feeds you...? :rolleyes:

All the best with your protests.....I don't know whose ears you expect them to fall on.....:shrug:

YoursTrue

Yes, the violence in movies and real life is deplorable, not everyone will admit to that. Just look at young people today defying common sense by sneaking out to have large drinking parties while the coronavirus is passing around, not caring who they hurt.
If parents understand Jesus' sacrifice, and present it properly to children, we can be blessed to understand that Jesus offered himself as the sacrificial Lamb of God. Happy and sad at the same time, but it gives us and young ones hope for a better future. Thanks for your comment there.

YoursTrue

Let me ask you a question, SW. Do you watch violent movies?