• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiristianity can be harmful to children.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Because there's encouragement not to have close contacts with non-JW's. I saw this over and over again with my neighbors who, for example, wouldn't go to funerals outside their own faith. They refuse any ecumenical involvement, forbid even inquiring into what other faiths may believe from those faith's points of view, forbid visiting any other denomination, etc. But worst of all, they tend to drive a wedge even within their own extended family. When the one couple left, they began to try and patch-up the imposed isolation.
I recall that as a youth growing up, I was careful of whom I kept close contact.
I did not keep close contact with those who did drugs, and were reckless, or rebellious.
The more I learned about people, the more cautious I became of whom I kept close contact with. For example, I came to despise being around people who would speak good things in front of someone's face, and then talk bad things behind their back. I think the name given to those kind of people is, back-stabbers, or backbiters. There is another name too. Is it hypocrite? Yeah, that's it.

I found that my choice of whom I kept close contact with, and whom I avoided close contact with, was a safeguard for me. I had good friends. Not the spoiled ones that would lie to their parents about where they ere going, so they could spend time with their rebellious, binge drinking, drug sniffing, immoral "friends". How it safeguarded me from the trouble some ended up in, not to mention those that ended up dead.

I came to realize that there was wisdom to many of the words our so-called "stupid" "old-fashioned" parents and grandparents uttered. One I often heard was the adage, "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch." How true.
Later, I realized that many of those adages were actually taken from the Bible, but just adjusted to fit the culture.
Psalm 26:4, 5
4I do not associate with deceitful men, And I avoid those who hide what they are. 5 I hate the company of evil men, And I refuse to associate with the wicked.

Proverbs 13:20 The one walking with the wise will become wise, But the one who has dealings with the stupid will fare badly.

Proverbs 22:24, 25
24Do not keep company with a hot-tempered man Or get involved with one disposed to rage, 25 So that you never learn his ways And ensnare yourself.

1 Corinthians 5:6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven ferments the whole batch of dough?

1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.
(Genesis 49:5-7; Jeremiah 15:17)

Even keeping close contact with people who were supposed to carry out God's services, but failed to because of their sinful desires, was condemned by God himself. (Hosea 6:9; 1 Corinthians 5:9-11)

In God's word, he specifically warned persons against having close contact - even associating - with those whose worship was not in harmony with Christ's teachings. (2 Corinthians 6:14-18) 14 Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 17“‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take you in.’” 18 “‘And I will become a father to you, and you will become sons and daughters to me,’ says Jehovah, the Almighty.”

The Israelites were taught this lesson throughout their lives. Those whose worship became contaminated with idolatry, were cut of, and their idols destroyed.
The Bible says clearly, "Flee from idolatry". (1 Corinthians 10:14)

So, I think keeping good association, and avoiding bad association, staying away from contaminated worship, and not keeping close contact with those who don't demonstrate that they love God's law and his word, nor want to follow it, is a good thing for anyone to do.
If that makes me or an organization that follows that principle, a cult, then evidently the term cult has been greatly misused, and misapplied here. That's not what a cult is, to my knowledge.

What you said here, is clearly false.
They refuse any ecumenical involvement, forbid even inquiring into what other faiths may believe from those faith's points of view
It is clear that we do inquire into other person's belief and faith. Some don't seem to know how to answer us though.

I did not say that, nor do I like words put into my mouth or my thoughts.
I did not say that you said it, nor am I putting words in your mouth. Nor do I like words put into my mouth or my thoughts. :D
I'm making a suggestion. You just have to confirm or deny it, that's all.
If you don't love their teaching, then I suggest you hate them - especially after what you said here.
However, if you neither love them, nor hate them... hmmm... I'll keep my thoughts to myself. :)

Dedication to their cause, which is often not as strong in other denominations.
Hmmm.

Then you didn't read what I wrote and the numerous links I provided.
I didn't read all the posts, is true. I did read that one where you said... And you can't help but to lie again as idolatry involves praying to a material object and expecting it to do something. Catholic teachings forbid praying to any object. If I make an object, that's not idolatry; but if I take an object and worship it, that's "idolatry". See the difference?
Is that so though?
Idolatry, as I understand it, is the veneration, love, worship, or adoration of an idol.
An idol is an image, a representation of anything, real or imagined, that people may use in worship.
I don't know if you agree, but you can check the facts for yourself.

The use of light versus darkness is found throughout the Christian scriptures as a symbol of goodness, such as Paul's statement that we should be
children of the light". Catholicism does not allow worship of any objects whatsoever, and I linked her to numerous official Catholic sources to show that. My guess is that the leadership has brainwashed their flock into believing this lie, so the flock will tend to believe them over any official source from any other denomination, and probably most of their flock will not even bother to check up on this from other sources.

Anyhow, I really have no desire to relitigate this as I've gone through this so many times before, so you're gonna have to try and argue with someone else. But one thing I can leave you with is that let me make a strong suggestion that you do not blindly accept what your leaders may tell you and actually start looking things up from non-JW sources, including "the horse's mouth". Before blindly believing that Catholics worship the sun, for example, maybe get into some of the official Catholic sites, such as the "Catechism of the Catholic Church", which can be found on-line, or maybe google "do Catholics worship the sun" and check for official Catholic links.

Anyhow, take care.
I disagree with your view, and I think many Catholic followers don't even understand the basic tenants of their own belief system.
I didn't think people who look into the system are brainwashed either, since many people who highlight the idol worship don't have leaders, as many of them don't have a religion, but simply do their homework.
If anything, the brainwashed individuals, would be those who try to defend what they are made to swallow, and can't even explain what their religious system believes about most things.
I believe that if you could explain to me what I asked, you would.

Anyway, I took the time to research it - Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament - myself, and it's to me, nothing but pure idolatry.
They don't even explain certain things about their rituals - like making the sign of the cross with the monstrance. ...a blessing... really? Must be a big blessing.
When we see it for what it is, it is evident that all of it is idol worship,

No scriptures are used to explain anything - why any of these rituals are done. The history has nothing to do with scriptural requirements.
Jesus said, " So you have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition. You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’", and this is exactly what I am seeing here. (Matthew 15:6-9)

Yes. It's idolatry. the son in the eye of the sun is blessing the people.
Thanks. Take care metis .

shmogie

The funny thing is, that the thing you're "interpreting", is actually also.... just an opinion. The opinion of the author, to be exact.
No, not opinions, and God, the author is 100% correct and reliable from every perspective you can imagine and millions you cannot

shmogie

Nowhere in the bible does it say anything remotely like "hey, don't own human beings as if they are your property". It tells you not to eath shrimp, but it does not tell you not to own people.

:rolleyes:

What does that mean "outside the church" and "inside the church"?

Haaaa, that's what you mean. They can't be part of your club. But the bible doesn't have a problem with them. They just can't join. Why? Well.... euh? Why again?

It most certainly isn't.

There drops the "true christian" bomb.

Sacrifice what now? That thing that the bible supposedly doesn't have a problem with, but that you nevertheless have to banish from your identity, because with it, which is not a problem, you can't join the club?

Which are.... that being gay is okay?
They why can't they join the club?

Right, right, but the bible at least doesn't have a problem with it, ha?
Nice try at the old leave out parts of what was written to make the writer say what was not intended.

I said, ¨ the Bible does not have a problem with it, it is not tolerated¨

That was probably too subtle for you, a problem is something to be solved, with an ambiguous unknown solution.

Non toleration is clear, there is only one solution, accept the solution, or not.

You must be new here, at least I don´t recall hearing from you in the years I have been here. You certainly attempt a clumsy beginners shukin' and jivein´ ploy that hangs on one misrepresented statement. No one with RF experience will be fooled by your juvenile trick.

So, you believe homosexuals are born, and it isn´t a behavior.

Many do.

There is no accepted scientific theory for this idea. There is no homosexual gene. hypotheses range from brain size to an overbearing father or mother.

Please, knock yourself out in trying to find an accepted theory to prove your point.

Yes, sexually active unrepentant homosexuals cannot join as official members of the Church. That is the way it is, it isn´t my rule, you will have to file a complaint with God.

Shad

Veteran Member
For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?

Nothing unrelated to the mainstream Christian concepts of it and the emotions those created. I lived on a farm for years so was exposed to death of livestock from cattle to product, predators kills/killed and accidents (mercy kill if needed). The imagery I can remember was tame so was mundane in comparison.

Prestor John

How about explaining to them why they supposedly require saving in the first place?
Doesn't it bother you to have to tell your innocent cute children that they are actually rotten and broken and require "fixing" and that this "fixing" has been done by nailing a jew to the cross some 2000 years ago when ancient Rome was still a thing?

It would bother me immensly. I'm thankfull that I don't have to defend / explain such ridiculous things.
Neither do I since I do not believe in or teach the doctrine of "Original Sin".

The scriptures do not support that belief. Children do not need baptism.

Maybe you should look and see that not are "Christianity" is equal.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm making a suggestion. You just have to confirm or deny it, that's all.
If you don't love their teaching, then I suggest you hate them - especially after what you said here.
I don't hate anyone, and let me just say that using an either/or dichotomy is nonsensical. To place such "hate" in my mind is so utterly immoral and disgusting.

Idolatry, as I understand it, is the veneration, love, worship, or adoration of an idol.
An idol is an image, a representation of anything, real or imagined, that people may use in worship.
I don't know if you agree, but you can check the facts for yourself.
I did long ago and I still continue to study even at my ag-- er, I mean maturity. :D

When we see it for what it is, it is evident that all of it is idol worship,
Absolute nonsense, which is why having a serious discussion with JW's like you in general is darn near impossible.

Even within the circles of Judaism, there's questions dealing with what exactly is "idolatry", but the one thing that is agreed upon is that the description of a "graven image" is to "make and worship", and Catholics are told that we are only to worship God.

Your JW leaders teach you that the Church teaches "idol worship", and that simply is a bold-faced lie. Maybe you should seek out a denomination that doesn't invent and perpetrate lies like this, or at least check things yourself from multiple sources instead of blindly believing your leaders. If you are unwilling to do so, then all you are doing is enhancing and parroting their lies.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Does Christianity Harm Children?

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.

Do religions such as Christianity in this case have a responsibility to not terrorize their children prior to their understanding of what death, execution, and human brutality is.

While I do think it's unhealthy to unrealistically cloister children in a protective shell away from things like this, I do think there should be a discernment of when something is introduced too fast and too soon before kids have a proper understanding of what they're seeing and hearing.

What do you think? Should children be exposed right away to the fact that the real world is not a nice and kind place? Or should people wait till they develop an understanding first, so they're not unduly traumatized with something they don't completely understand yet?

It does strike me as a bit strange when you have children sing about Jesus loves me and all that and then walk into a room where all they see is their object of affection nailed to a cross with blood and thorns and a spear wound all with blood streaming out of it.

For all people exposed to Christianity as children, what did the crucifixion do to you at a young age when you first saw it?

Christianity is ultimately a cult of death centered around human sacrifice. Some popular variants involve also some forms of what can be technically called cannibalism.

And that is the nice part.

The naughty parts involve killing children, women, genocide, slavery, incest, turn rapists into husbands of their victims, delivering ones daughters to gang rapists so that guests are not troubled, etc.

For that reason, it should be rated very R. I would say not before you are 18. Needless to say, swearing on it is ludicrous.

The fact that it is not the case is the obvious realization that if it were indeed rated only for adults, it would probably lose its Holy Book status in two generations. At most.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't hate anyone, and let me just say that using an either/or dichotomy is nonsensical. To place such "hate" in my mind is so utterly immoral and disgusting.

I did long ago and I still continue to study even at my ag-- er, I mean maturity. :D

Absolute nonsense, which is why having a serious discussion with JW's like you in general is darn near impossible.

Even within the circles of Judaism, there's questions dealing with what exactly is "idolatry", but the one thing that is agreed upon is that the description of a "graven image" is to "make and worship", and Catholics are told that we are only to worship God.

Your JW leaders teach you that the Church teaches "idol worship", and that simply is a bold-faced lie. Maybe you should seek out a denomination that doesn't invent and perpetrate lies like this, or at least check things yourself from multiple sources instead of blindly believing your leaders. If you are unwilling to do so, then all you are doing is enhancing and parroting their lies.
So you seem to be indicating that I didn't research anything for myself. What more can I say... :)

Oh. Just one thing.... Lighten up dude. You seem :mad: Just :)

metis

Lighten up dude. You seem :mad: Just :)
Actually :) is the way I am in "real life" probably 90% of the time, but my French roots enhanced by my Sicilian wife's roots, makes me quite emotional at times, and even more so as I've gotten ol-- er, there I go again!-- more mature.

Take care.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Actually :) is the way I am in "real life" probably 90% of the time, but my French roots enhanced by my Sicilian wife's roots, makes me quite emotional at times, and even more so as I've gotten ol-- er, there I go again!-- more mature.

Take care.
Hmmmm. Adam blamed the woman too. ;)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Does Christianity Harm Children?

Is it a good idea to expose young impressionable children to depictions of violence and cruelty?

The articles interesting because I remember when I was a kid and first saw the crucifixion that scene pretty much haunted me for many years joining the proverbial monster under the bed and the Boogeyman in the closet.

Do religions such as Christianity in this case have a responsibility to not terrorize their children prior to their understanding of what death, execution, and human brutality is.

While I do think it's unhealthy to unrealistically cloister children in a protective shell away from things like this, I do think there should be a discernment of when something is introduced too fast and too soon before kids have a proper understanding of what they're seeing and hearing.

What do you think? Should children be exposed right away to the fact that the real world is not a nice and kind place? Or should people wait till they develop an understanding first, so they're not unduly traumatized with something they don't completely understand yet?

It does strike me as a bit strange when you have children sing about Jesus loves me and all that and then walk into a room where all they see is their object of affection nailed to a cross with blood and thorns and a spear wound all with blood streaming out of it.

I believe my church did not expose me to Christianity until High School. I think that is a big mistake. I heard the stories of Daniel in the Lion's den and Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego in the fiery furnace but I can't say it impacted my psyche at all. Now Snow White terrified me because I did like to eat apples.

Muffled

Jesus in me
You are attempting to create a tempest in a teapot.

I was raised in a Christian family and raised my children in the faith.

Being a Protestant, I cannot speak for Catholics, I have a view but it isn't relevant to my response.,

There are always exceptions, but my children and I were taught the love of Christ, universal and for all people.

Bible story books for young children did not address the Crucifixion, they were not exposed to the story of the Crucifixion except in the most general and innocuous terms, there were no statutes, or pictures of it to which they were exposed.

By about age 10, my children, and I began learning of the concepts of atonement, a fallen world, and finally the crucifixion and how it was a critical and ultimate expression of the love of God.

Healthy deliberate and responsible exposure to reality

I believe reality kicked in for me when a friend was killed by a car hitting him while he was riding his bicycle.

Muffled

Jesus in me
It haunted me as a child. Is this what they do to good people, nail em to a cross. I thought it was a brutal way to remember somebody. Later, i admired those that suffer and endure for the right causes. Then finally i came to realize that Romans were often brutal people, and the story was awful fiction.

Being raised Christian left me with a guilt complex. I felt like no matter what i could do no right. There was great pressure to conform, or else.

I didn't need the Bible to tell me about cruelty undeserved. I was bullied.

metis

Now now. You know if your wife hears you, you and the dog will be fighting over who gets to sleep in the corner of the shed.
Please admit you are wrong. :)
Trust me, I have had to do so on a great many occasions, which is why tomorrow we're celebrating our 52nd wedding anniversary.

BTW, we do accept presents. :)

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Trust me, I have had to do so on a great many occasions, which is why tomorrow we're celebrating our 52nd wedding anniversary.

Hey! Congratulations!! That is great, metis; hope you'll have many more!

nPeace

Veteran Member

Your wife is very forgiving... Many occasions sleeping with the dog for roughly 52 years, and you haven't learned your lesson. :)
Oh. she must realize you can't help yourself... speaking without thinking. :tonguewink:
To be blessed with a wife like that, there must be a whole lot of good things about you, to make up for that shortcoming. :)

Now please.... don't go telling her you got this for the dog.
doghouse.gif

:facepalm:

dfnj

What really hurts children is the dogma belief in scientific materialism where nothing is divine an gutting environment protection laws is okay because people are really nothing more than just fancy DNA machines.