• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese routers have backdoors

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One of the very few things I agree with Trump on is that the Chinese are our adversaries and thus we can't trust them in the least. His actions are a different matter and I hope President Biden does a better job of countering the Chinese threat.

Walmart-exclusive router and others sold on Amazon & eBay contain hidden backdoors to control devices

Clee agrees with Carta: “The fact that there’s a GUI for RCE, and the fact that a page was established to validate a password outside of the existing authentication mechanisms, leads me to believe that neither were an accident.”

MNoBody

come on, all computers have back-doors [pc could easily refer to Public Computer..not yours, never was...it's loyalty was never to you]
and it is imagined the ruling junta here has any loyalty or best interests at heart for the people at home...how naive

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
One of the very few things I agree with Trump on is that the Chinese are our adversaries and thus we can't trust them in the least. His actions are a different matter and I hope President Biden does a better job of countering the Chinese threat.

Walmart-exclusive router and others sold on Amazon & eBay contain hidden backdoors to control devices

Clee agrees with Carta: “The fact that there’s a GUI for RCE, and the fact that a page was established to validate a password outside of the existing authentication mechanisms, leads me to believe that neither were an accident.”

Yup, known in IT.

come on, all computers have back-doors [pc could easily refer to Public Computer..not yours, never was...it's loyalty was never to you]
and it is imagined the ruling junta here has any loyalty or best interests at heart for the people at home...how naive

But this is more like a state sponsored Trojan directed at networks, not so much the average computer

MNoBody

Yup, known in IT.

But this is more like a state sponsored Trojan directed at networks, not so much the average computer
I know IT guys also, and it is worse than people would like to think....So even though I may be a lay-person in the industry, the opinion is not.
I may not be able to argue the fine points with such as you who are in the industry, but why would that happen in the first place?
but we aren't arguing? are we?
wasn't my intention to PO the Bear:eek::p

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
That is a very wild and inaccurate statement.
Some Chinese made routers seem to have back doors that may not may not be deliberate. Who was responsible for coding them into the firmware is in known.
It may be a criminal outfit that has coerced the coder. It may be a state security issue.
It would perhaps be interesting to know where the manufacturer sourced the code.
It ma not have even originated in China.

The problem of backdoors and bad security coding is widespread. And affects products made in every country. It is virtually impossible for companies to guarantee any firmware is secure. To do so would mean that they were able to prove that the software authors were totally honest and technically perfect. Few companies have the resources to check and guarantee any thing like perfection.
Even companies like Microsoft never cease finding backdoors in their own software and operating systems. And need to Create a constant stream of patches.

To single outm Comparatively small Chinese hardware companies as Gillian's is more political than reasonable.

I would suggest virtually every piece of hi-tech equipment that we own can be compromised either today, or will be in the near future.

The only reasonable way to protect ourselves is to be vigilant and take all reasonable security precautions. But never expect perfection.

Just like fish and birds swarm for protection. One individuals among millions is safer than someone who stands out in the crowd.

It is easy to just blame the Chinese. But that is very false security.

Wu Wei

I know IT guys also, and it is worse than people would like to think....So even though I may be a lay-person in the industry, the opinion is not.
I may not be able to argue the fine points with such as you who are in the industry, but why would that happen in the first place?

Not upset at all, just stating that it is targeted more towards network/servers.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

That is a very wild and inaccurate statement.
Some Chinese made routers seem to have back doors that may not may not be deliberate. Who was responsible for coding them into the firmware is in known.
It may be a criminal outfit that has coerced the coder. It may be a state security issue.
It would perhaps be interesting to know where the manufacturer sourced the code.
It ma not have even originated in China.

The problem of backdoors and bad security coding is widespread. And affects products made in every country. It is virtually impossible for companies to guarantee any firmware is secure. To do so would mean that they were able to prove that the software authors were totally honest and technically perfect. Few companies have the resources to check and guarantee any thing like perfection.
Even companies like Microsoft never cease finding backdoors in their own software and operating systems. And need to Create a constant stream of patches.

To single outm Comparatively small Chinese hardware companies as Gillian's is more political than reasonable.

I would suggest virtually every piece of hi-tech equipment that we own can be compromised either today, or will be in the near future.

The only reasonable way to protect ourselves is to be vigilant and take all reasonable security precautions. But never expect perfection.

Just like fish and birds swarm for protection. One individuals among millions is safer than someone who stands out in the crowd.

It is easy to just blame the Chinese. But that is very false security.

Note, there are no privately owned companies in China, they are all state sponsored, funded and at times completely supported. The IT industry view is it is intentional, not a hacker or a coding error. Internets and networks in China are not as open as in other countries, and in China, they are highly monitored

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And there's a very big difference between bugs in network equipment and state-sponsored deliberate backdoors allowing another nation access to conduct cyber terrorism and cyber warfare. And that is especially true with an expansionist nation like China who recently took command of Hong Kong, threatened Taiwan, asserted sovereignty over great stretches of ocean, stole American intellectual property and on and on.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Note, there are no privately owned companies in China, they are all state sponsored, funded and at times completely supported. The IT industry view is it is intentional, not a hacker or a coding error. Internets and networks in China are not as open as in other countries, and in China, they are highly monitored
It is a fact that China has a lot of cameras to follow people everywhere. It would be stupid not to make use of back doors in PCs with spying as their goal

Interesting to see that China has 4 times more cameras than the United States (assuming below Google info is not fake info). AND China has 4 times as many people. So, US and China have the same amount of spying on their citizens it seems to me. I am not surprised by this though.
Cameras in China
Featured snippet from the web
China monitors its citizens through Internet, camera as well as through other digital technologies. ... As of 2019, it is estimated that 200 million monitoring CCTV cameras of the "Skynet" system have been put to use in mainland China, four times the number of surveillance cameras in the United States.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

It is a fact that China has a lot of cameras to follow people everywhere. It would be stupid not to make use of back doors in PCs with spying as their goal

Interesting to see that China has 4 times more cameras than the United States (assuming below Google info is not fake info). AND China has 4 times as many people. So, US and China have the same amount of spying on their citizens it seems to me. I am not surprised by this though.

True, you also have a society built on reporting violations to gain points too...and you can lose points for something like jaywalking

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Chinese stuff like this does appear deliberate. It's not like a smart home device where it's more of an oversight in simplicity that leaves much for want with security. Chinese stuff is basically stolen from other countries, reverse engineered, amd redesigned to be more State Approved.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
reading these posts, it is amazing how much of the official Trump line on China has been so readily absorbed by Americans of both parties.
It is true that the people of China have an overriding responsibility to the state. however within those limits it is a hybrid free enterprise system with a vast number of entirely private companies.
Just like in Europe there are also large number of state enterprises or those with national security interest.
The USA also takes an interest in their own security critical companies. And controls who they can buy and sell to.

America is little different in how it control its companies. And the pressures it puts on them, and their foreign subsidiaries. And allies.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
reading these posts, it is amazing how much of the official Trump line on China has been so readily absorbed by Americans of both parties.
I'm pretty sure the posters in this thread are no fans of Trump.
But even he can rise to the level of a broken clock, ie, getting
right on occasion. I saw China as a threat long before The
Donald was even a gleam in the Republican Party's eye.
Notice Hong Kong, Tibet, S China Sea, & the manner of
their military build up on land, sea, air, space? Plus, their
management is unified & geared toward the long term.

esmith

Veteran Member
Unfortunatly there are many in the U.S. that only look inward for threats and are blind to the rest of the world. This includs numerous politicians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unfortunatly there are many in the U.S. that only look inward for threats and are blind to the rest of the world. This includs numerous politicians.
And those who ignore a threat simply because it
would mean having some common ground with Trump.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is my belief that all routers have back doors. How many times have you heard "but we use xxxx routers (some reputable brand) so we don't know how hackers stole all those credit card details" ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

The uk is the most spied on country in the world with more cctv cameras watching its citizens than any other country

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

I do not see China as a threat at all. It will certainly consolidate all the states that have broken away or were taken from it over the past centuries, but one can hardly blame them for that ambition.
I see their long term planning as making dealing with them easier as they are not in the least fickle.

In the main they have proved far better Business men and planners, than most in the west, and they have done it with their cards on the table.
However if you mess with Chinese, expect retribution. it might not be the next day or even the next year ... but it is absolutely certain to happen.
America Has been messing with China over trade and hi Tech manufacturing. You can expect the worst, but when it suits them, not when it suits you. you have good reason to fear.
Even with knowing that it is certain to happen, it will be a total surprise when it does.