• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese government acknowledges its first population decline since 1962

Shaul

Premium Member

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The Global Times acknowledges the first annual decline in the population of China since 1962. (The Global Times is a media outlet controlled by the government of China)

Chinese mainland population records negative growth for first time in 61 years, decreasing by 850,000 in 2022 - Global Times

There are many demographers that dispute the Chinese government's official population numbers. They calculate that the population actually began declining in 2020.
IF their numbers are as trustworthy as their COVID numbers they publicly released THEN I only trust it after counting myself

stvdv

IF their numbers are as trustworthy as their COVID numbers they publicly released THEN I only trust it after counting myself

counting myself
Of course we all know by direct personal "Covid origin" experience, hence proof, that this will never happen.

Should also be a good reminder that gradually morphing into China 2.0 is not such a good New Normal Plan

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course we all know by direct personal "Covid origin" experience, hence proof, that this will never happen.

Should also be a good reminder that gradually morphing into China 2.0 is not such a good New Normal Plan
Hiw about you go live there a few years before spewing such nonsense? China 2.0? You live in Holland. Try a country where a state just banned female legislators from having exposed arms in the capitol building, a nation that just revoked the right to an abortion.
But even then China 2.0 is absurd. I voted to enshrine reproductive choice as a right in my state's constitution, my internet isn't censored and clearly the right to petition the government is thriving.

stvdv

Hiw about you go live there a few years before spewing such nonsense? China 2.0? You live in Holland. Try a country where a state just banned female legislators from having exposed arms in the capitol building, a nation that just revoked the right to an abortion.
But even then China 2.0 is absurd. I voted to enshrine reproductive choice as a right in my state's constitution, my internet isn't censored and clearly the right to petition the government is thriving.

danieldemol

Premium Member
The Global Times acknowledges the first annual decline in the population of China since 1962. (The Global Times is a media outlet controlled by the government of China)

Chinese mainland population records negative growth for first time in 61 years, decreasing by 850,000 in 2022 - Global Times

There are many demographers that dispute the Chinese government's official population numbers. They calculate that the population actually began declining in 2020.
I believe its good news that the population is declining.
In my opinion

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hard to feel sexy in a totalitarian environment.
Glib - and wrong - analysis. Populations are in decline in many democratic countries too. And frequency of sex does not correlate with birth rate if contraception is widely practised.

It is much more to do with factors such availability of birth control, the social and economic empowerment of women, resulting in them having fewer children, later, and the economic aspiration of couples and families (can we afford a/another child etc?).

(By the way, the US has a practically stagnant population figure, which is only kept weakly positive by net migration. Hard to feel sexy when you're fat, eh? :D)

Audie

Veteran Member

Why do you say " acknowledges "?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
“Alright, the entire population of China, please form a line. Thank you. One, two, three…”

Alien826

No religious beliefs
It's weird to me that they instituted the One Child policy to reduce the population, then start complaining when it happens. Yes, I know things have changed, but weird anyway.

Way back when, human population growth was widely considered to be a great threat to the world. (Made sense to me.) Now people are worried about population decline. It should have been obvious that we would have to go through some bumps on the road to a lower population, like less working people supporting more retired folks. It's like someone going on a diet to lose weight then complaining that they can't eat the same amount of food.

Audie

Veteran Member
It's weird to me that they instituted the One Child policy to reduce the population, then start complaining when it happens. Yes, I know things have changed, but weird anyway.

Way back when, human population growth was widely considered to be a great threat to the world. (Made sense to me.) Now people are worried about population decline. It should have been obvious that we would have to go through some bumps on the road to a lower population, like less working people supporting more retired folks. It's like someone going on a diet to lose weight then complaining that they can't eat the same amount of food.

Mau instituted many policies that his uccessors reversed.
Such things even happen in....the USA!