• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese billionaire arrested and businesses seized by state

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
he's been deliberately provocative by hiring human rights lawyers China has since disbarred or imprisoned.

In other words, he cocked a snoot at the Party which of course is not tolerated in totalitarian China.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Rather than arrest billionaires and successful figures they'd be smarter to publish legal limitations -- what a person's net value is permitted to be. Then people can work up to that, stop getting bigger and not have to worry about being arrested for success. Just taking away business willy nilly is going to discourage entrepreneurs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rather than arrest billionaires and successful figures they'd be smarter to publish legal limitations -- what a person's net value is permitted to be. Then people can work up to that, stop getting bigger and not have to worry about being arrested for success. Just taking away business willy nilly is going to discourage entrepreneurs.
I'll wager that other Chinese business owners know
there's a line to toe. Regular disappearances &
confiscations send a message.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In countries, the law is a tool of the people.
In China, it's a tool of the state.
Yes, but even that state could be willing to improve itself. I think its doomed to be a terrible place to live for a very long time to come, but I can be wrong. Even if such is its doom it might gain some stability by stating ahead of time what is or is not going to be allowed instead of randomly chucking people into jail. Maybe chucking billionaires is popular though?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, but even that state could be willing to improve itself. I think its doomed to be a terrible place to live for a very long time to come, but I can be wrong. Even if such is its doom it might gain some stability by stating ahead of time what is or is not going to be allowed instead of randomly chucking people into jail. Maybe chucking billionaires is popular though?
I don't think jailing them is random.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is nothing random about China
But it makes no difference how powerful or wealthy you become,
The law applies to you the same as anyone else.
If you overstep the mark you are no more than spare parts.

It would scare the pants of western plutocrats.

There are no longwinded legal hurdles to protect you.
You can be done and dusted in the wink of an eye.

You can become as rich as you like so long as you obey the laws.
but step over that line and you are dogs meat.

We need a little of that to keep our millionaires honest and working in the peoples and states interest.
If they do that, they can be both supremely wealthy and live in absolute luxury.

it is a different mindset.