1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China to Join Russia Military Exercises as U.S. Rivals Deepen Ties

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stevicus, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,948
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    China to Join Russia Military Exercises as U.S. Rivals Deepen Ties (msn.com)

They've had military exercises before, so this may not really mean anything all that significant at present. Other nations may also participate. But with Russia currently at war in Ukraine and China raising a row over Pelosi's visit to Taiwan, it's worth keeping an eye on.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. paradox

paradox (㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)

Ratings:
    +319
    Religion:
    Mysticism
    Common misconception is that Russia is engaged in Ukraine with it's army so how it could divert military to east or to exercises?

But fact is that their military is split among regions (different from administrative regions) and only a portion of these regions (mostly western) is deployed in Ukraine.
    It would be really foolish to leave eastern country void of army.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,711
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    Yes, and joint military exercises are a way of showing off whatever good hardware they have.

4. paradox

paradox (㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)

Ratings:
    +319
    Religion:
    Mysticism
    I think military exercises are primarily done for troop readiness and experience.
    Showing off hardware is nothing but propaganda for public approval, for example recently there was military parade in moscow,
    if this was only about hardware show off then why didn't they show robotic tanks, robotic rocket launchers and autonomous drones?

No country in the world would reveal their latest military tech, they won't even use it wars if not necessary to prevent reverse engineering or unless both sides start using latest tech.

5. Brickjectivity

Ratings:
    +16,711
    Religion:
    I am not personally involved, however it seems that Russia's military has a corruption problem related to military funding. It also seems that this is the major cause of its failure in Ukraine. That is why it becomes necessary for it to demonstrate to China that it actually has a functioning military. If I were the government of PRC China I might have doubts about that. A joint military operation would be a very polite way of dealing with such doubts.

Your point is true. A joint operation does also help troops prepare. Oh, yes. I'm merely speculating about why its happening now.

6. paradox

paradox (㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)

Ratings:
    +319
    Religion:
    Mysticism
    I think join military exercises serves to let 2 armies know each other in terms of joint command and getting to know how to use foreign hardware.
    In case of war the command would likely be joint, ex. generals commanding from one post would need some options for quick translation as well as agreement on how commanding is done.
    Soldiers on other side need to know how to use hardware, ex. you don't drive Chinese tank in same way as you drive Russian tank, electronics and software is different etc. etc.
    Then communication encryption is likely not same in 2 countries, there must be some sort of encryption that both sides know. etc.
    all this stuff and likely a whole host of other factors needs to be well known to be ready for war, you don't learn all this on first day of the war.
    In other words 2 or more armies need to be synchronized for joint war or defense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,275
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    Both sides will get to see just how well/poorly their respective militaries are organized and equipped...in fact, it will give the US/NATO/etc an opportunity to watch and listen...just as the US and allies have been watching and listening and learning a great deal about PRC capabilities and plans based on their response to the Pelosi visit...

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +21,443
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Putins wet dream of a new 'Warsaw Pact'.

9. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,275
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    I'm sure Ping will be happy to learn about how ineffectively trained or organized, and poorly equipped, the Russian army is...expansion to the north might be possible...

10. Brickjectivity

Ratings:
    +16,711
    Religion:
    I think my military has had some joint exercises in 2012 with the Russians' military.
    Exercise Vigilant Eagle - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2