• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China sends 18 warplanes near Taiwan in response to visit by US envoy

Should the U.S. recognize Taiwan instead of China?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

• Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
China flies 18 warplanes near Taiwan during U.S. envoy's visit

TAIPEI, Taiwan — China’s military sent 18 planes including fighter jets over the Taiwan Strait in an unusually large show of force Friday as a U.S. envoy held a day of closed-door meetings on the self-governing island claimed by China.

Under Secretary of State Keith Krach, who handles the economic growth, energy and the environment portfolio, held talks with Taiwan's minister of economic affairs and vice premier. He also met with business leaders over lunch and was to dine with President Tsai Ing-wen later Friday.

In response to Krach's visit, the Eastern Theater Command of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army held combat exercises near the Taiwan Strait, in at least the second round of war games this month aimed at intimidating supporters of the island's independent identity.

Taiwan’s defense ministry said two bombers and 16 fighter jets from China crossed into Taiwan’s air defense identification zone. It said it scrambled jets in response and monitored the movements of the Chinese planes.

The Chinese Defense Ministry said that Taiwan and the U.S. were trying to "stir up troubles."

“Recently, the U.S. and (Taiwan's ruling) Democratic Progressive Party authorities have stepped up their collusion and frequently stir up troubles," Ren told reporters Friday morning. “Whether it is using Taiwan to contain China or relying on foreign powers to threaten others, it is wishful thinking and is destined to be a dead end."

It is one of a series of moves by the Trump administration to strengthen relations with Taiwan, including stepped-up arms sales and support for the island's participation in international forums.

I wonder if Trump might reverse US policy and recognize Taiwan instead of China.

Analysts say the Chinese are sending a "clear message" for the U.S. to stop doing this.

Analysts say the Chinese military response is a clear message to the U.S. to stop what it is doing, since the Chinese side took similar actions when the U.S. health secretary visited in August.

"I think the Chinese are using this tool to try and stop the kind-of diplomatic relationship between the U.S. and Taiwan. It’s very clear from them,” said Alfred Wu, associate professor at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy at the National University of Singapore.

Tensions between Washington and Beijing have already reached high levels as the governments spar over the coronavirus pandemic, trade, technology, Hong Kong and the South China Sea.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That is for Taiwan to decide. They understand their local political situation.
The Chinese Defense Ministry said that Taiwan and the U.S. were trying to "stir up troubles."
I understand that Chinese military officials, like our own, will tend to be paranoid. I hope that Chinese people and their diplomatic corps will understand better and not see every damn thing as a threat. Our department of defense once drew up a plan for defending if Canada attacked! That about how much sense these flyovers make. It appears to me that the CN defense ministry has overstepped its bounds, because the US and China are at peace. Anyways how can China be so worried about Taiwan? Its an island, and its not nuclear.

I wonder if Trump might reverse US policy and recognize Taiwan instead of China.

Analysts say the Chinese are sending a "clear message" for the U.S. to stop doing this.
Everybody knows that US presidents have temporary positions, and our position on Taiwan has very little to do with the animosity between China and Taiwan. It is like a marital dispute that we don't understand. Its ridiculous for us to be forced to choose between the two countries.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I wish we would send a quarter of our military personnel there... All geared up... And just start hanging out with the Tiawanese.

That would shake things up. :)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

China does stuff like this all the time and has for years. My father was in the Navy, on aircraft carriers during the Korean war and Vietnam. If their carrier got even remotely close to Chinese waters during jet recovery, especially near Taiwan, the Chinese scrambled fighters. Heck, during a Taiwanese presidential election they sent war ships and shot rounds off in the direction of Taiwan, with the threat of, If you vote the incumbent back in, we will invade. Incumbent got voted back in, Chinese went home. What's that tell you about Chinese/Taiwan relations. Reverse Psychology much.

There are a lot of complicated politics going on between China and Taiwan, that I do not have time to get into here, but suffice to say, the US recognizing Taiwan over China would not help, much like when Hillary Clinton let slip that Japan controlled the Senkaku Islands...China went and built a military base there. It just increased tensions, Recognizing Taiwan would increase tensions much more. Currently the best way to go for Taiwan and China is "Status quo is the way to go"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Whats China going to do? Start hostilities?

Its posturing. Something rival countries have been doing for generations now.

The US is obligated to protect Taiwan via the Taiwan Relations Act and China knows it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That is for Taiwan to decide. They understand their local political situation.

Recognizing Taiwan would increase tensions much more. Currently the best way to go for Taiwan and China is "Status quo is the way to go"

Personally "it's up to the people of the "People's Republic" and Taiwan to decide their future using peaceful means" would be my attitude.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Only when someone who is more level headed, more knowledgeable, amd doesn't admire dictators is leading what would be a very delicate and sensitive matter.