• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China and Taiwan Clash in Lunar New Year Military Propaganda Videos

Would you support U.S. intervention to defend Taiwan?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
China and Taiwan clash in Lunar New Year military propaganda videos - CNN

Hong Kong (CNN)Beijing and Taipei have marked the Lunar New Year holiday by releasing competing videos of military grandstanding, in the latest rhetorical clash between the two governments.

China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) published a video on Sunday showing famous sights and scenery from across the island of Taiwan juxtaposed against images of PLA jets and bombers soaring through the sky.
The propaganda video was titled "My Fighting Eagles Fly Around Taiwan." The background lyrics called for China's "brothers and sisters" to "gently ... return."

In response, the self-governed island's military released a dramatic video of soldiers, tanks and explosions on Sunday, overlaid with the message that Taiwan's army was "on standby 24/7."

"Many men and women serving in the armed forces will miss New Year's Eve dinners with their families, but they will not be absent from standing guard to protect the country," Taiwan's military posted on their official Facebook.

Military analyst Carl Schuster, a former US Navy captain, said China had been ramping up its military propaganda targeted at Taiwan's citizens, as well as a wider domestic and international audience.

"It is trying to convince them they cannot match China's military power, that defeat is inevitable and no one, not even the United States, will come to their aid," Schuster said.

So, it looks like it's heating up between China and Taiwan. I do sometimes wonder if the U.S. really would come to Taiwan's aid in the event of a Chinese invasion. 70 years ago, it might have been a given, but now, I'm not so sure.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be great if the threat of our defending Taiwan would keep them safe.
But would all out war be worth preserving Taiwan's independence?
Nah.
I'd expect China to be quick to use terrorism, dirty bombs, nuclear bombs,
biological weapons, chemical weapons, EMPs, & of course hacking attacks.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be great if the threat of our defending Taiwan would keep them safe.
But would all out war be worth preserving Taiwan's independence?
Nah.
I'd expect China to be quick to use terrorism, dirty bombs, nuclear bombs,
biological weapons, chemical weapons, EMPs, & of course hacking attacks.

The situation seemed rather "normalized" for a while, although it's interesting that the tensions are ratcheting up in recent years. It's almost as if they want to provoke some kind of incident. .

But I agree. I don't think the U.S. public would be all that supportive of a war to save Taiwan.

Jumi

China wants to move into endgame with Taiwan. I don't think they're planning to annex it soon, but maybe two decades might be possible. Unless opportunity knocks earlier. Taiwan's existence and continued success isn't much threat to China really, although they talk about it as a historical error they want to fix. They probably really want to see if they can get away with eating up Taiwan.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Why? They have it better in Taiwan now than they would if they were annexed.
Because I'm all for the eventual consolidation of Asia into a Chinese super state, challenging the US hegemony and resisting its policies of imperialism and exploitation from a standpoint of equal, or even greater power.
Hopefully.

Because I'm all for the eventual consolidation of Asia into a Chinese super state, challenging the US hegemony and resisting its policies of imperialism and exploitation from a standpoint of equal, or even greater power.
Hopefully.

Nothing is more ethically and logically consistent than hoping China counteracts US imperialism and exploitation with their own imperialism and exploitation.

Why is Chinese imperialism better than American? Do you think non-Chinese Asians should get a say in this?

Jumi

I can understand you wanting to sacrifice someone else's country and way of life just to mess with a country. But do you want it only because China is nominally communist?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing is more ethically and logically consistent than hoping China counteracts US imperialism and exploitation with their own imperialism and exploitation.

Why is Chinese imperialism better than American? Do you think non-Chinese Asians should get a say in this?
If China doesn't conquer & absorb Taiway, this would limit
China's power, & also preserve more diversity in the region.
US imperialism there is already an historical relic anyway.

ajay0

I think Taiwan can become a part of China as long as it given a certain degree of autonomy, and its democratic constitution is kept intact, like Hong Kong.

I have met Taiwanese who however loathe the idea of joining China.

I think Taiwan can become a part of China as long as it given a certain degree of autonomy, and its democratic constitution is kept intact, like Hong Kong.

And therein lies the rub...

Jumi

"If" is nice, HK hasn't preserved it as much as one might expect. At least the EU and others have been worried.

EU concerned over ‘gradual erosion’ of Hong Kong’s autonomy

What are the reasons they've given?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
China will not invade Taiwan or start a war with it, that is unless Taiwan does something incredibly stupid and attacks China.

Jumi

They were not that proficient in english, but they did show facially their dislike for China when it was mentioned.
I saw the same with a mainland Chinese about Taiwan. They said that it's just a rebel province and said that the character of Taiwanese is worse than in mainland. I think the Chinese leadership keeps the tensions up on purpose, people just follow what media says in most countries.