• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chimerical Abyss of the Imagination

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Well, I figured might as well toss up a thing or two or 20 for perhaps some critique. I'm self taught, been painting in oil for about 5 and a half years. Empty my mind and let it flow sort of style I guess, with the occasional portrait in there. Lemme know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_7649.JPG
    IMG_7649.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Spaced Out.JPG
    Spaced Out.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170812_214903.jpg
    20170812_214903.jpg
    1,021.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Liquid Chimera 150 x 120 cm.jpg
    Liquid Chimera 150 x 120 cm.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 0
  • Bathos Resized.JPG
    Bathos Resized.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Stay Zef Ninja.JPG
    Stay Zef Ninja.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Stay Zef Yolandi.jpg
    Stay Zef Yolandi.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20161110_223013.jpg
    IMG_20161110_223013.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Green Expansion 107 x 81 cm.JPG
    Green Expansion 107 x 81 cm.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Vibrato.JPG
    Vibrato.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Outstanding! Love it! Especially "Stay Zef Yolandi".

I've been painting in acrylics the past six years, but I'm guessing you're far more practiced than me. I've done fewer than 30 canvases during that time. How often do you paint? What do you like best about oils?

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Outstanding! Love it! Especially "Stay Zef Yolandi".

I've been painting in acrylics the past six years, but I'm guessing you're far more practiced than me. I've done fewer than 30 canvases during that time. How often do you paint? What do you like best about oils?

I like the vibrancy you get from oil paint, in addition to that, the time in a way that it takes to dry also gives you more time to work with. This is my career now and I have sold about 40 pieces in the past 4 years. I also have painted almost 500 paintings in the 5 ish years since I have started painting. Before I started painting full time with oil, I did do a little work in acrylic, about 80 or so paintings in about 2 years. I average about 75 paintings a year now and double that if I work on small canvases. last year I made only 61 pieces but I worked on mainly 100 x 80 to 120 x 150 cm pieces ( 3 x 4 ft to 4.5 x 5.5 ft). And I paint almost every single day. for about 6 hours or so. But if I get in the zone it can be maybe 12 hours, I don't know what time is when I work anyways, I blast me some metal music and try to paint what I'm feeling.

It really depends on what style I use to how long a painting takes to complete, like my avatar here is a friend of mine that due to the layering took 3 months to complete and it was only a 60 x 90 cm piece but both the Yolandi and Ninja pieces above are double the size but since they are but one layer of paint I did both in a week. Time is determined by technique alone. But after it's complete? I hate oil, cause i can't add the work to my website for nearly half a year while I wait for it to cure and then varnish and cure again. So while I enjoy the time oil gives me to work I despise the time it takes to be "truly complete."

Although this year I am trying some new stuff, like cutting canvases and using the light filtering through as maybe a nice touch to the piece above it, or stacking a few and cutting into each layer to create a scene. I dunno, the first piece I did was both a success and a failure and there are a helluva a lot of obstacles to jump over till I get this technique down. I mean my first "grand experiment" was painting in oil with syringes, boy that was an expensive endeavor, but at least I know not so many people will copy me since it is so retarded expensive to paint in that fashion. I live in SE Asia currently and there is no level some folks will sink to to copy other's work if they think they can make a quick buck. Some of my early stuff been copied already, but in a way it is a compliment and an insult folded into one package. I try to shift my focus around enough that when I do have a show the friends that show up don't know what to expect at the show.

But I think that is important to try to remain uncomfortable and keep trying things that you are unfamiliar with, like I may* try natural color this year, but brown is such a sheisty color, its hard to get just right and costs a lot of color to make but since I currently have a ridiculous over abundance of yellow at the moment perhaps the time is right to try. Yellow and white of all the colors goes the fastes if you make all of your color. And if you want to be good I guess being able to make the color you so or envision is extremely important. So starting with acrylic and getting that knowledge into your head is your best bet because I'll tell you it doesn't get any cheaper buddy, not by a long shot. Of the money I make out of this craft I dump at least 75% back into it for material. But at least the canvas and spans(stretcher bars) are dirt cheap where I live. 30 x 1.75m per 180usd.

But if you wanna talk color or whatever I'm down. it muh life.

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
It's really just repetition I drew a whole lot before I started painting. I drawn thousands upon thousands of people, enough that I actually don't like doing portraits but it's the butter on my bread and people like images made of themselves. So I pop a few off every year to stay fresh. Muscle memory and endurance thats what painting to me is, especially** if you are stippling, and you need to be listening to some high energy music in my opinion to get one of those done. Just ceaselessly vibrating your arm and tapping ever so slightly on the canvas and slowly blending the color but not picking up so much of what is already there.

Or I like to paint in squares a lot. like really fat pointilism, it takes a chunk of space to move color from one to the next but I think you can adjust that with the size of your brush. and my swirly stuff. and some landscapes I try to be all over the place at once. Maybe I like the chaos of thinking about too much at once and maybe it's the ADD, probably the ADD.

Attachments

• 20151013_174937.jpg
    20151013_174937.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7490.JPG
    IMG_7490.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Ebb and Flow compressed.jpg
    Ebb and Flow compressed.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0