• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children should be permitted to make up their own minds about religion

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think it’s very difficult to establish definitive cause and effect for such a subjective characteristic that itself is strongly influenced by and influences a whole load of other relevant characteristics. I also doubt it’s been established that following a religion you’ve been forced in to as a child is healthier than not following a religion by choice or if being indoctrinated as a child and then moving away from religion is worse than never following one in the first place.
When a child is young, it's not like that at all. The child simply believes what they are told. There is no harm done.

As a teen, there is a,ways a chance they may rebel -- after all it's that time of individuation in a child's life. But so what. Being required to attend church even if they don't want to is no different than having a curfew or rules against drinking or all the other things that rebellious teens hate. Again, having to do things we don't like doesn't scar us or take away our freedom of thought.

HonestJoe

When a child is young, it's not like that at all. The child simply believes what they are told. There is no harm done.
Doesn’t that render it meaningless, if not immoral, to indoctrinate them in a religion (certainly any kind of revealed religion) before they have the ability to understand and consider what they’re doing. Teaching them about a faith is one thing but if the idea is that someone needs to consciously choose to follow God as is commonly the case, why make them blindly go through the motions?

As a teen, there is a,ways a chance they may rebel -- after all it's that time of individuation in a child's life. But so what. Being required to attend church even if they don't want to is no different than having a curfew or rules against drinking or all the other things that rebellious teens hate. Again, having to do things we don't like doesn't scar us or take away our freedom of thought.
Are we talking about making kinds just go to church every Sunday morning to go through the motions or are we talking about them actually accepting and practicing an entire faith in every aspect of their lives? I’d have at least some issue with the imposition of either but they’re very different concepts from each other.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Doesn’t that render it meaningless, if not immoral, to indoctrinate them in a religion (certainly any kind of revealed religion) before they have the ability to understand and consider what they’re doing. Teaching them about a faith is one thing but if the idea is that someone needs to consciously choose to follow God as is commonly the case, why make them blindly go through the motions?

Are we talking about making kinds just go to church every Sunday morning to go through the motions or are we talking about them actually accepting and practicing an entire faith in every aspect of their lives? I’d have at least some issue with the imposition of either but they’re very different concepts from each other.
Look, we know from scientific research that religion gives us happier, healthier, longer lives. This includes children, especially teens.

In order to adopt a religion, the best way is to be raised in a faith. There is no way to get around that.

As for teens, most teens raised in a faith adopt that faith. Some rebel, sure. You can't force them to seriously express it in their lives even if you wanted to. But there is no harm in having them i.e. attend church each week or religious instruction. My son is not religious today, although he is a good person who believes in God. As a teen, he hated services, but he went anyways, and I had him learn the traditional stuff. I always thought it went in one ear and out the other. But it's amazing how much he listened. He may not do it himself, but if he sees ME slipping he's ALL over my case, because he knows it is important to me, and because it is comforting to him to know that I am religious. The thing I'm saying, is that it didn't hurt him, nor did it deprive him of any freedom of choice.