• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children less likely than adults to get COVID 19

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see how that is a response to my post.

I've said he showed poor leadership.
Do you agree?

What you wrote in this thread is what I responded to which to me was a totally to the point response to what you wrote in the thread.

If you want to bring in something other than your literal words, please do so.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The problem I saw was shutting down too much, & not requiring
good safety practices, eg, separation, masks, contact tracing.

We did not know how the virus spread. We did not know how long the virus lived on various surfaces. We did not know what a good separation is (and apparently 6 feet is not good enough). We did not have enough masks and still might not. We did not have and in many places still don't have enough people to contact trace.

To me you're criticizing a lack of omniscience and magical preplanning when it comes to the virus.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What you wrote in this thread is what I responded to which to me was a totally to the point response to what you wrote in the thread.

If you want to bring in something other than your literal words, please do so.
I've lost track of the conversation anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We did not know how the virus spread. We did not know how long the virus lived on various surfaces. We did not know what a good separation is (and apparently 6 feet is not good enough). We did not have enough masks and still might not. We did not have and in many places still don't have enough people to contact trace.

To me you're criticizing a lack of omniscience and magical preplanning when it comes to the virus.
To me you're not paying attention.
I criticized......
- Illegal to buy paint, but OK to buy lottery tickets.
- Illegal to go to vacation home, but OK to go to state park.
- Illegal to go boating if it has a motor, but OK if it lacks one.
- OK to go into public places without mask or 6' separation.

One needn't be omniscient to see the inconsistency of
those policies.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
To me you're not paying attention.
I criticized......
- Illegal to buy paint, but OK to buy lottery tickets.
- Illegal to go to vacation home, but OK to go to state park.
- Illegal to go boating if it has a motor, but OK if it lacks one.
- OK to go into public places without mask or 6' separation.

One needn't be omniscient to see the inconsistency of
those policies.
These all sound like the sort of policies that ill prepared state legislatures would come up with because of lack of federal leadership on a national issue.

One needn't be omniscient to see why the problem is Trump and his political ambitions getting in the way of national interests.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
These all sound like the sort of policies that ill prepared state legislatures would come up with because of lack of federal leadership on a national issue.

One needn't be omniscient to see why the problem is Trump and his political ambitions getting in the way of national interests.
Tom
Yeah....our governor's dubious policies are Trump's fault.

Shaul

Premium Member
I can understand your concern.

The trouble is that the article merely says children appear less "susceptible". It is not clear from that whether it means they don't become infected enough to spread it, or whether it means that when children do become infected, their symptoms are mild or non-existent. My understanding is that we are fairly sure the latter is true. However I have not so far read any evidence yet about the former.

So it may be perfectly possible for a class of apparently healthy children to carry the disease and be able to give it to each other, to teachers and to family members when they go home. One hopes of course that this is not so and that they don't even catch it, but if I were you I'd really want to know that bit of the equation before September! I think the Danes may have some experience of what happens when school restarts. It may be the younger classes are safer than the older ones. But we need to know, before blanket demands to restart physical schooling are imposed. I'm hoping the UK government may be able to share some information about this to reassure the UK teaching unions. If they don't, there could be teachers' strike in the Autumn, I should think.
There are other studies and articles I have seen regarding these things. Some even discuss the circumstances in Denmark. All the studies I have seen say two things, 1) more study is needed (wow, right?) and that young children do not transmit it to others. I hesitate to cite volumes of references.

Shaul

Premium Member
That's good. Let it kill off all the old folks. We're not that valuable anyway.
We ought to start having classes in convalescent/old folks' homes.
Imagine all of the money it'll save the government.

Win/win.
Have you been talking with Governor Cuomo of New York? He sent infected aged patients back to their nursing homes instead of into a hospital. Then the virus spread to many of the others in the nursing home.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yeah....our governor's dubious policies are Trump's fault.
Unless you think Michigan should have it's own epidemic task force, monitoring and planning for such a threat, then yes. I definitely do think that your governor's policies are Trump's fault.
The likelihood of such a threat in the age of jet speed travel and global business was established. The federal government should have had some semblance of a national response.
Instead Trump blew it. He claimed it was a Democratic hoax. He claimed we already have treatments. He claimed we'd have the country open by Easter. Etc. Etc.
Yeah. I blame Trump for the mess, socially and medically and economically. He is the President and it was his job to deal with this.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unless you think Michigan should have it's own epidemic task force, monitoring and planning for such a threat, then yes. I definitely do think that your governor's policies are Trump's fault.
The likelihood of such a threat in the age of jet speed travel and global business was established. The federal government should have had some semblance of a national response.
Instead Trump blew it. He claimed it was a Democratic hoax. He claimed we already have treatments. He claimed we'd have the country open by Easter. Etc. Etc.
Yeah. I blame Trump for the mess, socially and medically and economically. He is the President and it was his job to deal with this.
Tom
OK then.....

Shaul

Premium Member
Prove it or I dismiss it as a meaningless internet personal opinion.

“Children under 10 are less likely to get infected than adults, and if they get infected, they are less likely to get seriously ill,” said Kári Stefánsson, in an interview following the publication of an Icelandic study he coauthored in The New England Journal of Medicine. “What is interesting,” he continued, “is that even if children do get infected, they are less likely to transmit the disease to others than adults. We have not found a single instance of a child infecting parents.”

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2006100

“Worldwide, relatively few children have been reported with COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Data from the Netherlands also confirms the current understanding: that children play a minor role in the spread of the novel coronavirus. The virus is mainly spread between adults and from adult family members to children. The spread of COVID-19 among children or from children to adults is less common.”

Children and COVID-19 | RIVM

I have many more studies and experts I could cite. Frankly, I don’t think you have an open mind to accept the facts to the contrary. But I think these citations will help others here that do have an open mind.

Shaul

Premium Member
Wrong. The data from my county shows school age children get it quite often:

View attachment 41430
https://www.coronavirus.cchealth.org/dashboard
Was there some point there? No one has said children can’t get Coronavirus. Your website link wasn’t even working when I tried to access it. We are talking about general conditions, not something that could be a local abnormality. I much prefer data from reliable sources, not some local bureaucrat with an agenda.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You live in the wrong state.
That's always been true, be it OH, MI, CA, or MD.
But our governor has recently gotten more consistently safety oriented.
Countries with pro-active, science-oriented, thoughtful leadership are doing much better than we are. I wonder why. :confused:o_O
Our leadership varies every 4 to 8 years.
And few have any science education.
And we're less centralized than many.