• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children at temples

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Lots of children for their vidyarambha ceremony yesterday here, as Vijaya Dasami is considered an auspicious time. Everyone gets dressed up for it. It's unbelievable how fancy some children's clothes are. But it must give that great sense that something important is happening. And it's true.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Important for parents and grand parents too. Most of these Indians thrive on the strength of their education, whether in India or abroad. So, right from the beginning, it is their primary focus. Not talking of Gujarati Patels and Sikhs.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So the priest's little guy has a tricycle. He was able to walk it up the wheel chair ramp, and then coast it back down, rather dangerously. So they hid it on property. (with my help) A nice devotee notices that this kid doesn't have a tricycle so they buy him one. Parents are too polite to refuse. Now he has two, and I'm seeing a pattern. Soon enough there will be 10 hidden tricycles around the place.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There must be a level ground, walk, pavement where the child could use his tricycle. We have to buy a bicycle for my younger grandson. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There must be a level ground, walk, pavement where the child could use his tricycle. We have to buy a bicycle for my younger grandson. :)
He could ride around and around the temple. There is a 12 ft + pradakshina sidewalk. The 'hill' is more attractive if left unsupervised for 20 seconds.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Our temple got a new priest, and 3 youngsters accompanied him. Boy 7, 2 girls, age 3 and 4. It will liven up the summer days over there. He's already getting a bit brave, and we had our first conversation today. He remembered my name, but I didn't remember his. A new 'helper' for landscaping.

The other day I pulled in to a shady spot, and a family was leaving. Little girl (maybe 3 years) says 'Hi' and I tell her how pretty her dress is. (These parents get it. They watch her interact, instead of taking over for her.) "My Gramma bought it for me," she says confidently, and happily. Gramma smiles. Then. as she's crawling into the car, she says 'bye'. Simple stuff. Uplifting stuff.

But then later, inside, after puja, I get approached by a 'talker'. He wants to tell me how much he knows about Hinduism, India, this temple, etc.

I think I just realised I'd rather talk to kids than adults.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, a recoup of an old story. We got the bike for him and he straight away went riding, no falls, no hurt knees and elbows, as one would expect.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A sixteen year old approached us a few weeks back about doing some volunteer work. One of her 'life skills' courses at high school requires it, so she figured she'd put in her time where her interest lies. After some discussion with a board member and just a 'proceed with confidence' attitude in the 'supervisor' roles, Boss and I put her to work. Turns out she's one of those rare people with what I like to call raw unbridled intelligence. The sort of person where you can instruct once and they have it. I've been fortunate enough in life to have met a rare few of these. They do stand out, and are memorable for independent thinking, leadership qualities, insight, and skill.

First 'job' was mowing the lawn. I didn't bother to start it for her, but chose to give verbal instructions. Indian immigrant kids are generally rather sheltered, moreso with girls. Being unbridled, she grabbed the opportunity. It's hard to describe her face when the engine started, but it was like a 3 year old grin of 'Look, look what I did." At first it was just sort of push the thing around randomly, but that didn't last long, as she soon figured out a more logical method. When she ran out of gas she just went and filled it up, as she'd watched me fill it to start with. No question, nada, I know what to do, leave me alone sort of thing.

We've gone on to do some painting, spray some dandelions, take breaks to visit, drain the hoses, see a squirrel, learn some about the forest, move some bricks. It's been fun. Kids are so refreshing.