• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child Sex Abuse And Atheists

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't know that there is such a difference. I don't think that we have enough data to tell.

It does however stand to reason that the emphasis on obedience to authority that is found in Christianity probably emboldens such abuse to some degree.
I wasn't aware that emphasis on obedience to authority was found in religion. I thought this was taught at home. So teachers, doctors, coaches, etc., have an equal advantage to anyone else, including the school bus driver, or the uncle, or newspaper delivery m who lives a few blocks down the street.

If parents taught their children what not to allow, and what action to take when anyone does what they are not comfortable with, I think the problem would have been solved by more than 50%.
To me, telling your child not to take anything from strangers, or go with them, is no more difficult as telling them where not to allow anyone to touch them, and what to do if someone touches them there.
Aside from that, I think parents also need to create the environment that allows their children to feel safe and comfortable talking to them about anything.

It starts at home, doesn't it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wasn't aware that emphasis on obedience to authority was found in religion. I thought this was taught at home. So teachers, doctors, coaches, etc., have an equal advantage to anyone else, including the school bus driver, or the uncle, or newspaper delivery m who lives a few blocks down the street.

If parents taught their children what not to allow, and what action to take when anyone does what they are not comfortable with, I think the problem would have been solved by more than 50%.
To me, telling your child not to take anything from strangers, or go with them, is no more difficult as telling them where not to allow anyone to touch them, and what to do if someone touches them there.
Aside from that, I think parents also need to create the environment that allows their children to feel safe and comfortable talking to them about anything.

It starts at home, doesn't it?
I think that you are failing to realize some of the central tenets of certain doctrines, and how much they diverge from a general "what is taught at home".

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think that you are failing to realize some of the central tenets of certain doctrines, and how much they diverge from a general "what is taught at home".
I'm all ears. Please explain to me some of the central tenets, I am not realizing.

nPeace

Veteran Member
For starters, nudity taboos are taught by Abrahamic doctrines, for no particularly clear reason.
Where? Please don't just say things. Point me to a source please.
I often hear people claim something, and when it's put on the table, it a gross misunderstanding, or twisted interpretation.